Junior Member Registered Member

How to install rear speakers in 2002 Malibu???

Has anyone ever done this? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob338
    Has anyone ever done this? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
    The rear speakers are 6x9" in the trunk deck. If you can't remove them from underneath by going through the trunk, pry the deck covering (carpet and/or speaker grilles) up from the rear of the car to access the mounting screws. After that, it's pretty much plug-n-play.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

FordX,

You can't get to them through the trunk. You can't just pry off the deck, and you can't pry
    off grilles without causing damage to the deck. Someone told me the back seat has to be
    removed in order to replace speakers. Do you know how to remove the seat?

Thanks.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Well, if the seats don't fold down, the only way you can remove the seats is to climb under the car and unbolt them. Seems like too much hassle. I'm sure there is a way you can pull the speaker covers off, just play with them a little.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thanks for your input, CVStroker.

If the 2002 is the same as my 98, like one of the other guys said, you just lift off the grill. You can buy wire adaptors that will plug into the factory wiring and the other end onto your aftermarket speakers. www.crutchfield is a good source for basic audio information and if your buy speakers from them they throw in the wire harness for free. Unless you are mounting amps or some other major install, you shouldn't have to take out the back seat. Unless you have some experience or good at putting things back together, the front door 4x6's are a pain to replace. At least they were for me my first time. I don't think there are any restrictions on what size 6x9 for the back but the front has limits on magnet size.

The back seat has to be removed, Mr. Peabody. I was told this by a technician at Bestbuy. I'm sure he's right. In some Malibus you just lift off the grilles, in others
    you can't.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob338
    The back seat has to be removed, Mr. Peabody. I was told this by a technician at Bestbuy. I'm sure he's right. In some Malibus you just lift off the grilles, in others
    you can't.

Dan't always trust the techs at Best Buy and Circuit City, a lot of them don't have a clue what they're talking about. Go up to almost any one of them and ask them what a BL curve is, and I'm betting they'll just give you a blank stare.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Yes, CVStroker. I know you can't swear by what these guys tell you. However, this time he was right. I found someone who told me how to remove the back seat. It took a while
    since this was my first time, but everything went well. I really thought I was going to have to spend $65 + tax for an installation this time around.

You can just rip the grilles out if really want to, but here's the problem: There are metal clamps attached to the bottom of the grilles. They look more like hooks. They are used
    to hold the grilles tightly to the carpet baseboard. If you force them out, you take a
    chance on damaging the baseboard. Also, you will never get those metal clamps to go
    back underneath the baseboard. Removing the seat is best and correct way to do it.

Thanks, everyone for your help.

jimbob338.

Thread Information