Senior Member Registered Member

Sub Wiring Question...

Okay, I'm thinking of sacrificing my home theater sub to get some subs in my ride once again... Not my first choice but I'd rather have subs in my car than in my apartment where people always get pissed off about it. If I do I'm most likely gonna run 3 RE8's (not sure what amp yet, Sounstream 700S if I can find one) and I was wondering what I can run these at? They only have the 2 ohm subs right now, so if anybody knows what I can run three (3) 2 ohm subs at I'd appreciate it.

And btw, If anybody wants to buy a Infinity IL120 home theater sub hit me up. 12" sub, 500w rms.

Come on guys, I know you're smarter than this... Somebody's gotta know how to wire up some subs.

Also, what amp would put out around 600 or so watts at whatever ohms these would be running at???

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calinada
    Come on guys, I know you're smarter than this... Somebody's gotta know how to wire up some subs.

Also, what amp would put out around 600 or so watts at whatever ohms these would be running at???
    They run a little bit bellow 1 ohms so like .75 ohms. Hmm good amp for 600 watts be the JBL 600.1 Should work well.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    They run a little bit bellow 1 ohms so like .75 ohms. Hmm good amp for 600 watts be the JBL 600.1 Should work well.
    Is the 600.1 stable that low?

Is the 600.1 stable that low?
    Well I just checked the manual for that amp and it's only stable down to 1 ohm... so I guess it won't work. Also on JBL's site I found that three 2 ohm subs would be wired to 0.66 ohms.

The Soundtream Reference 700s seems to be the best amp for this application, but I can't seem to find any... If anybody can find this amp or knows of any other amps around 600 watts stable at 0.5 ohms feel free to share.

thanks

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Well I just checked the manual for that amp and it's only stable down to 1 ohm... so I guess it won't work. Also on JBL's site I found that three 2 ohm subs would be wired to 0.66 ohms.

The Soundtream Reference 700s seems to be the best amp for this application, but I can't seem to find any... If anybody can find this amp or knows of any other amps around 600 watts stable at 0.5 ohms feel free to share.

thanks
    Ehh I know people who have ran the amps down to .5 ohms. So it shouldnt be too bad. Also do u know the DCR on that woofer the DC resistance, if its real close to 2 ohms the JBL will work fine.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah, I don't have the specs for that thing (all Resonant has on their site is for the dual 4 which isn't even out yet due to a "problem with a supplier") but I'll try calling 'em tomorrow to see what they recommend.

Also, amazingly enough, that soundstream is stable down to 0.5 ohms.

Thread Information