Member Registered Member

PLZ Help! What's your RPM @ Idle on your Toyota?

My idle seems to be quite low but not really sure if it is where it's supposed to be. I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner. At idle, with the engine warm, my idle's at 650-700 rpm. When I put it in drive, it goes down to 550-600. Is my engine idling too low or is this normal? Is it time to change my Idle Air Control Valve? (this part was the problem when my check engine light went on)

Please help me with any advice/input. If you decide to actually go out and check your car for me... I sincerely thank you!

Senior Member Registered Member
    My '88 Grand Caravan SE drops RPMs a little in drive, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. Then again, thats a 16 year old vehicle and who knows what problems it could have. You probably have nothing wrong with it. However, if it starts to stall out when you start stopping you may want to check your IAC valve, MAP or MAF sensor, and PCV valve. Chances are you have nothing to worry about.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phrozen5100
    My '88 Grand Caravan SE drops RPMs a little in drive, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. Then again, thats a 16 year old vehicle and who knows what problems it could have. You probably have nothing wrong with it. However, if it starts to stall out when you start stopping you may want to check your IAC valve, MAP or MAF sensor, and PCV valve. Chances are you have nothing to worry about.

My vehicle does feel like it's about to stall at times when I'm at a red light. When my check engine light went on, the diagnosis read that it was the IAC valve. Hopefully this is the problem for I have already ordered this part. Otherwise it'll be a $165 mistake. Thanks for the help. =)

Junior Member Registered Member
    Eric_00:

I think I have the same problem. I took the car to a local mechanic, and he told me that the Idle Air Control Valve needs to be replaced. Total price $612. I noticed that you paid only
    $165, big difference. Am I being robbed??
    Can you let me know if that fixed the problem, and did you changed that yourself or had a mechanic do it.

Thanks,
    Ledio

Member Registered Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lajesus
    Eric_00:

I think I have the same problem. I took the car to a local mechanic, and he told me that the Idle Air Control Valve needs to be replaced. Total price $612. I noticed that you paid only
    $165, big difference. Am I being robbed??
    Can you let me know if that fixed the problem, and did you changed that yourself or had a mechanic do it.

Thanks,
    Ledio
    Yes... $612 is quite a bit(is it cause he's charging you the labor already?). Did you pay him already? If not, check around at your local toyota parts dealership. I live on guam and they quoted me for $221 for the IAC and the Gasket. I contacted places in CA and it all was pretty much the same price.

The place where I got the part for $165 (shipped) is located in Arlington, TX (www.vandergrifftoyota.com). They also sell on ebay but I had to special order the part from them. I think the guy gave me the wrong quote. Luckily, that was all I had to pay.

As for whether it fixed the problem, I would say yes. My idle still goes down to about 650-750 but prior to putting on the new part, it would occasionally go down to 500-550 sometimes less. I still have yet to compare it to other "normal" 4Runners.

My dad and I changed the part, which took about an hour because one screw didn't want to budge. (I have a tendency to strip screws... good thing he was there.) =) We were able to take it out with little damage. If you're going to change it yourself, it's only 8 bolts to take out.

What kind of vehicle do you have? Do you have an aftermarket air intake? Do you have one of those "Tornado" air management part?

Member Registered Member

By the way...

Quote Originally Posted by phrozen5100
    What is the MAP sensor and the PCV valve, and where are they located at? I don't think that it's right my idle still goes down to 600 sometimes. When it does that, my charging system goes down (dimmed lights, low voltage). Could it be my alternator? I have a huge Delco CS-144 200amp alt. It's a huge output alt for chevys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eric

Thread Information