Junior Member Registered Member

I'm looking for a headunit with optic output to connect to OEM Bose amp

the only aftermarket head unit I have seem are

Clarion DRX9375R
    Sony CDX-C90
    Sony CDX-C910

are there any others out there, I am trying to connect to my Audi OEM Bose amplifier with FIBER OPTIC.

Does anyone know if this will work?

any input will be appreciated

Mike

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Optic output is very rare is car audio. And you have to be absolutely positive that the bose amp has fiber optic and that it uses the same protocol as the aftermarket deck.

Plus, I don't see any advantage of upgrading the deck with a Bose system. Bose relies heavily on digital processing to make their speakers sound like they do. If you replace the stock deck with one that doesn't offer that processing (aftermarket wont offer it), then the system is going to sound worse than it already does.

Modifying a Bose system is like polishing a turd, no matter what you do to it, it still is a piece of sh*t.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

to CVStroker, what exactly do you mean by protocol ?

CVStroker, what exactly do you mean by protocol ?

Hey, I found this converter on ebay, could you tell me if this can work
    Item number: 220315992847

Mike

I'm talking about the computer language that the fiber optic carries. It could be a S/PDIF signal, an ADAT signal, or it could be proprietary. If the two devices don't talk the same, then they wont work.

Why are you trying to use fiber optic in a car anyway?

CVStroker,

Actually, this is a 12 speaker set with the amp I bough from ebay out of an 2006 Audi A8, since I like the way it sounded so much, I like to put it in my car with aftermarket radio, but its hard to find one with optic.

Now I have the factory repair manual, Its a little wierd, I see all the wirings just don't see any an amp turn on, may not need on e since its optic. also can't see the 4 signal input pin, like with other non-optic Bose amp.

That's pretty much what I am trying to do, like you said I was worry about if the bose amp will understand the optic signal I am sending.
    This car has 3 other media devices like cd changer, radio tuner, HD radio, ,
    and 1 Data Bus On Board Diagnostic Interface,
    and Front Information Display Control Head Control Module,

each one has a plug with input+output optic cable, one unit links to the next.

Do you know what type of signal would this be?
    I think this is the only thing I need to be concerned of.

Thank you sir
    Mike

(I have all the cable cut offs for the amp, so I can reconect them, the optic cable are orange color)

I have no way of knowing what it would be. It could be S/PDIF, ADAT, or proprietary. There is no way of finding out short of calling up the manufacturer and asking them, and I doubt they would tell you.

Fiberoptic doesn't work in a car that well anyway. It's finicky as hell and any sort of vibration or movement can screw it up. It's best just sticking with standard analog cables, they're much more durable.

Plus all the devices link to are different manufacures, like sirrus or XM radio and changers and OBD and controller. Bose made are only amp and speakers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ea9606
    Plus all the devices link to are different manufacures, like sirrus or XM radio and changers and OBD and controller. Bose made are only amp and speakers

Mike
    Also, like I said, without the Bose head unit, it's not going to sound any good at all. It needs the Bose signal processing in the head unit, otherwise its going to sound like garbage.

BTW, Bose isn't very popular on these car audio forums.

Ok, I would like to do that with aftermarket amp, but I know if I will get the same sound as if would from Bose, I think there might be a sound processor in the amp. Its just a very different set up. Like they put surround speakers in place don't normally put. etc.

also 12 speaker is also just too many to find out each of 6 type of speakers frequency range's are

It would probabaly be simpler just go with the optic(less modification)

Mike

yeah, I use to play with aftermarket of all in a car. until I seat in one with Bose, it changed my mind, just on that audi. other Bose sound system in any other car don't sound good at all

Mike

Bose never puts the sound processor in the amp, it's always in the source unit. They do it that way for this exact reason, they don't want people trying to mess with their stuff. I don't know why, but that's how they've always been. To put it simply, what you're trying to do can't be done.

I've worked with the Bose systems before. I would rather have needles shoved under my fingernails before I ever work on one of those again.

I have no idea

Thread Information