Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67
  1. #26
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    Oh, and as to why my system couldn't be heard from far away: faulty power and ground connections were robbing my amp of the volatge it needed to produce full power. Therefore, my subs never got as loud as they should have. Secondly, the trunk of my Intrepid swallowed a lot of the bass. And on top of that, my box was sealed, and undersized...
    And you can admit that? Wow, you mush have more cajones than I thought, haha, just messing man. Hey, you learned, isn't that why we're all hear, to learn from other's mistakes. Now I'm sure someone with weak bass will go check to make sure they have good connections, and pull those shatty sealed boxes out of their cars. ;)
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  2. #27
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    191
    i totally disagree everyone wants there systems for different reasons newb or 20 years into it. some people just like the looks. if an experienced engine builder thats been building race engines for 25 years in these beat up looking cars suddenly one day starts putting rims on his cars so they look good and go fast. are you gonna say hes prolly justa newb? plus i find that the people that build the system just for looks dont normally have a system for more then a year or two and never upgrade. so i dont even like to classify them as newbs because why should someone be called a newb if they arent gonna stick around to become more experienced

  3. #28
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    And you can admit that? Wow, you mush have more cajones than I thought, haha, just messing man. Hey, you learned, isn't that why we're all hear, to learn from other's mistakes. Now I'm sure someone with weak bass will go check to make sure they have good connections, and pull those shatty sealed boxes out of their cars. ;)
    That's the idea. It was my first install, first system, first car. What the hell did I know? Like I said, it should have been loud, but everything was working against it. Now I have one 15, in the same size sealed enclosure, with 800 watts, and it's at least twice as loud. In fact, I made my current enclosure by modifying that old crappy one!

  4. #29
    Practical Audio Guru Site Moderator CT!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Thanks a million, C! Much appreciated....how old are ye being that you may have been considered the "old fart" of da board?

    You are right.....perhaps now that Im getting older I shouldnt so much be into this "bass carrying" issue.....

    Soon to be 29 in a few months.

    Bass carrying....well, I suppose most that appreciate the lower octaves tend to go through this phase. Hell, I did. I actually had a dual 12 bandpass box in the bed of a pickup...did it port through the cabin? Hell no. It was just to amplify that "bass carrying" effect. Haha. Looking back, it was about worthless except to show off! Haha. You're just hitting your phase late in the game. No worries.
    You are NOT your audio logo. It's a means to an end, people!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  5. #30
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Ya see Snake, that's the inconsiderate-ness I'm talking about.


    Inteva Inteva Inteva tisk tisk
    Yes, I see....CV.....hahahaha

  6. #31
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by CT!!
    Soon to be 29 in a few months.

    Bass carrying....well, I suppose most that appreciate the lower octaves tend to go through this phase. Hell, I did. I actually had a dual 12 bandpass box in the bed of a pickup...did it port through the cabin? Hell no. It was just to amplify that "bass carrying" effect. Haha. Looking back, it was about worthless except to show off! Haha. You're just hitting your phase late in the game. No worries.
    Cool....thaaaanx

  7. #32
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    Did you guys know that in Delaware they are trying to pass a law which would require you to have your stereo tested along with your emmissions, and if it's too loud they won't e-certify your car? Why do you think that is? Don't get me wrong, I love and am impressed by loud bass just as much as the next arsehole, but when I buy a system, I don't make it my goal to share my friggin bass with as many people as possible.

    Bottom line is this: newbies want to know how to get the most sound outside of their car. Real enthusiasts want to know how to keep the most sound in. Sounds like a snobby thing to say, but in most cases it's true. Ask yourself, why? And are you really spending all that coin on a system for the benefit of others? I used to wonder why my system with 2 15s couldn't be heard from blocks away. Now I'm glad my system can't.

    Oh, and as to why my system couldn't be heard from far away: faulty power and ground connections were robbing my amp of the volatge it needed to produce full power. Therefore, my subs never got as loud as they should have. Secondly, the trunk of my Intrepid swallowed a lot of the bass. And on top of that, my box was sealed, and undersized...
    Mike,

    Thanks....my ground and power connections have been checked and re-checked, so I am beginning to suspect the other factors you mention here....it could be my Accord's trunk swallowing the sound. Are sealed boxes really bad culprits of this non-carrying issue? I mean, as I stated to Easy in another post, would switching to a ported box for these 15's really make much of a difference in a closed, sealed trunk anyway? The box is STILL gonna be in the closed trunk, and unlike an SUV or hatchback, it will not have all that open space for the more slamming ported sound to carry........

  8. #33
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Mike,

    Thanks....my ground and power connections have been checked and re-checked, so I am beginning to suspect the other factors you mention here....it could be my Accord's trunk swallowing the sound. Are sealed boxes really bad culprits of this non-carrying issue? I mean, as I stated to Easy in another post, would switching to a ported box for these 15's really make much of a difference in a closed, sealed trunk anyway? The box is STILL gonna be in the closed trunk, and unlike an SUV or hatchback, it will not have all that open space for the more slamming ported sound to carry........

    Port those subs and open up the rear deck like I suggested. Either remove the rear speakers, or remove the entire deck if possible. That will open up the trunk into the cabin and allow the sound to carry a lot farther.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  9. #34
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Port those subs and open up the rear deck like I suggested. Either remove the rear speakers, or remove the entire deck if possible. That will open up the trunk into the cabin and allow the sound to carry a lot farther.
    Alright, I will consider that.

  10. #35
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Mike,

    Thanks....my ground and power connections have been checked and re-checked, so I am beginning to suspect the other factors you mention here....it could be my Accord's trunk swallowing the sound. Are sealed boxes really bad culprits of this non-carrying issue? I mean, as I stated to Easy in another post, would switching to a ported box for these 15's really make much of a difference in a closed, sealed trunk anyway? The box is STILL gonna be in the closed trunk, and unlike an SUV or hatchback, it will not have all that open space for the more slamming ported sound to carry........
    Regarding the box; it may or may not make a huge difference. I'm running a sealed box right now, and I'm pretty sure you can hear me coming if I have the windows down. But I'm also running a high-excursion sub, and my back seat folds down to allow bass in the cabin...

  11. #36
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    Regarding the box; it may or may not make a huge difference. I'm running a sealed box right now, and I'm pretty sure you can hear me coming if I have the windows down. But I'm also running a high-excursion sub, and my back seat folds down to allow bass in the cabin...
    i wish i had a "high excursion" sub

  12. #37
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by inteva6184
    i wish i had a "high excursion" sub
    If you're good, maybe Santa will bring you one...
    Last edited by mike patton; 05-21-2004 at 09:09.

  13. #38
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    If you're good, maybe Santa will bring you one...

    Yeah, you've only got 7 months to wait. That means no more harassing people that re talking on their cell phones. ;)
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  14. #39
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    Regarding the box; it may or may not make a huge difference. I'm running a sealed box right now, and I'm pretty sure you can hear me coming if I have the windows down. But I'm also running a high-excursion sub, and my back seat folds down to allow bass in the cabin...
    Mike,

    Thanks for the reply....I hear you about the box; I guess if I switch to a ported one, I will just have to experiment....my rear seat folds down too, but I just dont like riding around like that.....to me, the car becomes too "ghetto rigged" like that; I have leather seats and all, and like to keep the back seat up....

  15. #40
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by inteva6184
    i wish i had a "high excursion" sub
    Sense his sarcasim guys. HAHAHA!
    Thats my 2 cents.

  16. #41
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Sense his sarcasim guys. HAHAHA!
    Sarcasm? Him? NO WAY!!!

    How's that for sarcasm?

    My initial reply to his comment was something like "Is the sarcasm really necessary?", but then I remembered that the best way to respond to a sarcatic comment like that is to be sarcastic yourself. Then the two sarcasms will effectively cancel each other out...

  17. #42
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Mike,

    Thanks for the reply....I hear you about the box; I guess if I switch to a ported one, I will just have to experiment....my rear seat folds down too, but I just dont like riding around like that.....to me, the car becomes too "ghetto rigged" like that; I have leather seats and all, and like to keep the back seat up....
    Well then, if you have rear speaker I suggest you get rid of them so as to let more bass into the cabin, which will in turn let more bass out of the car. But honestly, if you're looking for good "street bass", a ported box should be your primary concern...

  18. #43
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    191
    that didnt work at all

  19. #44
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by mike patton
    Well then, if you have rear speaker I suggest you get rid of them so as to let more bass into the cabin, which will in turn let more bass out of the car. But honestly, if you're looking for good "street bass", a ported box should be your primary concern...
    Thanks man.....you know its funny, my installer friend who put this system in, hung out with me today and we were driving in my car, and again I was complaining about the bass not carrying outside the vehicle, and he yelled as was like "well, you gotta !!!!@$%!@^%! TURN IT UP...." and proceeded to yank my Accord's volume knob and raise the volume display about halfway up on the bar graphics.....we were listening to a hip-hop station on the radio, and to be honest, it STILL sounded not quite like 15" woofers with an 800 watt bridged amp should sound with the power halfway up....granted, my windows were up and maybe the song I had on didnt have that much tactile bass, but his answer was like "well....I told you to go with 12s, not 15s....with 12s, you get that bass that goes through your chest and ****....and moves your hair....15s suck....." and he went on to again defend the whole sealed box thing....he STILL believes sealed boxes can slam and can be heard in the street......I think you may be right about the ported thing, though.

  20. #45
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Thanks man.....you know its funny, my installer friend who put this system in, hung out with me today and we were driving in my car, and again I was complaining about the bass not carrying outside the vehicle, and he yelled as was like "well, you gotta !!!!@$%!@^%! TURN IT UP...." and proceeded to yank my Accord's volume knob and raise the volume display about halfway up on the bar graphics.....we were listening to a hip-hop station on the radio, and to be honest, it STILL sounded not quite like 15" woofers with an 800 watt bridged amp should sound with the power halfway up....granted, my windows were up and maybe the song I had on didnt have that much tactile bass, but his answer was like "well....I told you to go with 12s, not 15s....with 12s, you get that bass that goes through your chest and ****....and moves your hair....15s suck....." and he went on to again defend the whole sealed box thing....he STILL believes sealed boxes can slam and can be heard in the street......I think you may be right about the ported thing, though.

    Tell him to hang around here for a while. 12's will not hit the deep stuff like 15s will. The deeper the bass, the farther it carries. Ported is about 3 db louder, on average, than sealed.

    Here, give him this site, it will keep him occupied for a LONG time.

    http://www.bcae1.com
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  21. #46
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Tell him to hang around here for a while. 12's will not hit the deep stuff like 15s will. The deeper the bass, the farther it carries. Ported is about 3 db louder, on average, than sealed.

    Here, give him this site, it will keep him occupied for a LONG time.

    http://www.bcae1.com
    I believe you, and try and argue this with him on an almost daily basis....so, do you believe I should in fact be getting bass that should carry outside the vehicle with 15s?

    What are these SUVs that are tooling around with bass so heavy you can feel it from walking on the street when they pass rolling with if I cant get my TWO 15s to be heard from outside my midsize coupe? What in God's name do they have in there?

  22. #47
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    I believe you, and try and argue this with him on an almost daily basis....so, do you believe I should in fact be getting bass that should carry outside the vehicle with 15s?

    What are these SUVs that are tooling around with bass so heavy you can feel it from walking on the street when they pass rolling with if I cant get my TWO 15s to be heard from outside my midsize coupe? What in God's name do they have in there?

    One, a lot of them probably use more power. Those SUVs have much bigger electrical systems, so it's a lot easier to add a larger amp.

    Plus, the large internal volume of an SUV kind of acts as a megaphone. It "amplifies" the bass. Plus a lot of those kids turn on the bass boost, and max the gains, and play Bass Mekanik all the time. All you hear in those vehicles is bass, no high end at all.

    If you port your subs, tuned to about 30-32 hz, and open up the rear deck, you'll notice a huge difference in the bass.

    The best way to show him that ported boxes are louder is to build one and make him listen to it.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

  23. #48
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110

    Also, Let Me Add......

    My system is set up as follows, per my request to my friend that I wanted maximum power output of my amplifier to my two subs:

    My friend wired my two Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC 15" subs in PARALLEL (after complaining to him that STEREO mode of the amp didnt sound loud enough for me), and did so this way: he ran speaker wires from each terminal coming out of the sub box (this was a pre-fabbed box I bought off the shelf, ready to install), then tied together the positive (+) leads of those wires together, and the negative leads (-) of those wires together, then fed those combined channels into one positive terminal of the amp (the combined positive leads from the box) and one negative terminal of the amp (the combined negative leads from the box).....he then told me the amp was now BRIDGED and in mono mode, running full power into these two subs....

    Then my question becomes, is my Rockford Punch 800.2 amp putting out 800 watts in this mode? Is there any way to tell? And is this set up right for getting maximum power to two subs from one amp? The specs of this amp I believe say that the thing should be putting out 800 watts in one channel mono mode....can this be? If that is so, shouldnt these XLC subs be heard outside of the vehicle with THAT much power going through them, in theory? And if there are 800 watts available, how is that shared between two subs.....are they getting 400 watts each or so? Would this be right, or no?

  24. #49
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Girlfriend's Panties
    Posts
    110
    "If you port your subs, tuned to about 30-32 hz, and open up the rear deck, you'll notice a huge difference in the bass."

    But what if I didnt want to alter anything regarding the rear deck or seats, etc....would the ported box STILL make a difference in what is getting into the cabin with seats up, sealed trunk, etc?

  25. #50
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    My system is set up as follows, per my request to my friend that I wanted maximum power output of my amplifier to my two subs:

    My friend wired my two Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC 15" subs in PARALLEL (after complaining to him that STEREO mode of the amp didnt sound loud enough for me), and did so this way: he ran speaker wires from each terminal coming out of the sub box (this was a pre-fabbed box I bought off the shelf, ready to install), then tied together the positive (+) leads of those wires together, and the negative leads (-) of those wires together, then fed those combined channels into one positive terminal of the amp (the combined positive leads from the box) and one negative terminal of the amp (the combined negative leads from the box).....he then told me the amp was now BRIDGED and in mono mode, running full power into these two subs....

    Then my question becomes, is my Rockford Punch 800.2 amp putting out 800 watts in this mode? Is there any way to tell? And is this set up right for getting maximum power to two subs from one amp? The specs of this amp I believe say that the thing should be putting out 800 watts in one channel mono mode....can this be? If that is so, shouldnt these XLC subs be heard outside of the vehicle with THAT much power going through them, in theory? And if there are 800 watts available, how is that shared between two subs.....are they getting 400 watts each or so? Would this be right, or no?
    Methinks your friend is a moron. Thats not how you bridge an amp. Look at the speaker terminals of your amp. You should see 2 + and 2 - symbols, and then you should see something that says which ones to use when bridging the amp. I don't know if what your friend is actually bridging the amp, but I have a feeling it's not good for the amp. When the amp is bridged, you should have 1 pair of wires coming from it, not 2 tied together.

    Wire the positives of the subs to the positive lead from the amp, and the negatives to the negative lead of the amp. Unless you have the 8 ohm versions of those subs, you'll be dropping your ohm load below the stable ohm load of the amp. Look at the manual for your amp, it should show you how to bridge the amp correctly, I gurante it wont be like your friend has it bridged. I think with the way your friend has it wired in stereo, the channels are fighting each other. Bridge it properly, and you'll notice a huge difference.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •