Hybrid View

Senior Member Registered Member

What Does It Take...

...in order for bass to be heard and possibly felt outside of a vehicle? I mean, the other day we're standing in front of some stores and a Cherokee comes tooling by and we felt this guy's low tones from his system through our bodies, and we were in the street....yet, in my Accord, with two Rockford 15's and a Punch 800.2 amp bridged, no one turns their heads with my system cranked...is this the vehicle, the gear, what?

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    First off being heard is a bad thing. I dont want to be heard that brings you attention. Not cool. I need to find a week about being responsible but I am too lazy. It could be a few things your car and your system not being loud enough. If you want to be heard have the windows down etc that would help. Also having lots of sound deadening material helps keep the noise in which is good. Also if you are just running sealed might wanna try ported to get some extra bass. Could also be the music your listening too also. I am sure people can hear you when they drive by, which is bad thing. Means your stuff is gonna get stolen etc. Be carefull dont want you stuff to be jacked.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Why do you want to have it be loud outside the vehicle? I, personally, would love it if someone could barely hear my vehicle from the outside and tell me my system was weak. Because that way, I could sit him inside, and hammer his brains out withh the "weak" bass. You get so much better of a reaction from people if you do that to them.

BTW, I can tell you like MGS2, but you're name is bugging me. Snake's alias is spelled Plisken, not with 2 S's. Either way, great game, one of the best IMO.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Practical Audio Guru Site Moderator CT!!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    BTW, I can tell you like MGS2, but you're name is bugging me. Snake's alias is spelled Plisken, not with 2 S's. Either way, great game, one of the best IMO.

Damn young'uns.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/

Snake Plissken is the character from John Carpenter's Escape from New York and L.A.

:P
    You are NOT your audio logo. It's a means to an end, people!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT!!
    Damn young'uns.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116225/

Snake Plissken is the character from John Carpenter's Escape from New York and L.A.

:P

I stand corrected. Hmm, kinda funny the relation between the two. Snake Plissken, and Snake/Iriquois Plisken. Makes me wonder about the Hideo Kojima's ability to create good names.

Thanks for pointing that out to me old fart.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    First off being heard is a bad thing. I dont want to be heard that brings you attention. Not cool. I need to find a week about being responsible but I am too lazy. It could be a few things your car and your system not being loud enough. If you want to be heard have the windows down etc that would help. Also having lots of sound deadening material helps keep the noise in which is good. Also if you are just running sealed might wanna try ported to get some extra bass. Could also be the music your listening too also. I am sure people can hear you when they drive by, which is bad thing. Means your stuff is gonna get stolen etc. Be carefull dont want you stuff to be jacked.
    Easy,

Thanks....when you say "could be the music you are listening to," what do you recommend would get the job done for subterranean, carrying bass? Which CDs do you recommend to try? I usually crank club/dance CDs I make and mix myself; perhaps hip hop is the only kind of music thats gonna supply the rolling-off kind of sub-bass that will be heard outside the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Easy,

Thanks....when you say "could be the music you are listening to," what do you recommend would get the job done for subterranean, carrying bass? Which CDs do you recommend to try? I usually crank club/dance CDs I make and mix myself; perhaps hip hop is the only kind of music thats gonna supply the rolling-off kind of sub-bass that will be heard outside the vehicle?
    Well here your listening to higher tunned bass, dance music etc is meant for PA systems since they cant usually play real low. The best bass is like some rap etc or some organ music and some music sound tracks like 5th element. Also u might wanna try a ported box that can help make your system louder. How far is your gain set on your RF amp. What size power wire etc u running? Hmm what else can I think of not anything right now. And SUVs are better for bass anyways then cars so thats why they are louder.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Well here your listening to higher tunned bass, dance music etc is meant for PA systems since they cant usually play real low. The best bass is like some rap etc or some organ music and some music sound tracks like 5th element. Also u might wanna try a ported box that can help make your system louder. How far is your gain set on your RF amp. What size power wire etc u running? Hmm what else can I think of not anything right now. And SUVs are better for bass anyways then cars so thats why they are louder.
    Easy,

Well, I dont think Im gonna be blasting organ or soundtrack music from my ride anytime soon! The club music I play does get pretty deep; are you saying that dance music isnt meant to slam and carry outside of a vehicle? Club music that is played thumping in night spots all over the world?

Here are some other concerns I have regarding the rest of what you suggest:

If I switch to a ported box, being that my enclosure is in a closed, sealed trunk inside a 1999 Accord Coupe, would it really make a difference? The box is STILL going to be behind that back seat in a trunk....

My installer friend that put the system in informed me that the gains for the amp are almost all the way up and so are the gains on the RCA converter; I think I may be pretty much getting full power at this point----the manual says this amp should put out 800 watts x 1 in mono mode, how my friend has it set up....the subs are running in parallel, and the amp is bridged to feed the subs....does this sound right for getting maximum power to two subs from one amp?

The power cable is real thick and heavy 4-gauge cable (Im trying to think of the brand); my friend used a Lightning Audio wiring kit for the rest, and I watched the whole install....everything was put in right and the whole thing is clean looking....still, the bass just doesnt carry like 15" woofers should.

Well ported box will still be louder, remove the rear speakers they are usless. Next which way is your subs pointed? Your gains are up plenty though probally too high. But yea, umm Dance music isnt low as you think. Alot of music isnt as low as u think. U can drive around playing bass mechanic and such if u want that can hit some lows.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Junior Member Registered Member
    Easy,

Well, I dont think Im gonna be blasting organ or soundtrack music from my ride anytime soon! The club music I play does get pretty deep; are you saying that dance music isnt meant to slam and carry outside of a vehicle? Club music that is played thumping in night spots all over the world?

Here are some other concerns I have regarding the rest of what you suggest:

If I switch to a ported box, being that my enclosure is in a closed, sealed trunk inside a 1999 Accord Coupe, would it really make a difference? The box is STILL going to be behind that back seat in a trunk....

My installer friend that put the system in informed me that the gains for the amp are almost all the way up and so are the gains on the RCA converter; I think I may be pretty much getting full power at this point----the manual says this amp should put out 800 watts x 1 in mono mode, how my friend has it set up....the subs are running in parallel, and the amp is bridged to feed the subs....does this sound right for getting maximum power to two subs from one amp?

The power cable is real thick and heavy 4-gauge cable (Im trying to think of the brand); my friend used a Lightning Audio wiring kit for the rest, and I watched the whole install....everything was put in right and the whole thing is clean looking....still, the bass just doesnt carry like 15" woofers should.
    hey guys. just wanted to jump into these forums again after being away for a long time.

i'm not a car audio expert but yeah snake, i know exactly what u mean by being rolled over by one of these suv's pumping the low end out. i think i was in a wallmart parking lot and a guy had his jeep grand just shaking everything within 30ft of it. it was unreal; but booming isnt really my thing. but i still wonder what the inside of that thing was like if u could feel the base on your chest from afar. i think i realized then and Easy reinforced it, that suv's r just better for bass. not sure why? is it just cuz of the larger internal volume they hav for the sub to play around with? i guess if u compare, ur accord trunk cant compare with all the additional cabin space of a large suv. can anybody offer more info on sub performance and cabin volume?
    also u, mentioned u are using speaker level to line level converters, i've read these arent the best. maybe an upgrade of newer head unit putting out better line level signals might better your sound output maybe? i know going from an older sony cd unit (around 5years) to a recent model jensen mp3 unit (yeah, i know jensens not too popular but it was under a $100 for mp3 headunit and it has all the basics). but i found that the sony put out a better quality signal and my sub sounded a lot better, whereas with the current headunit, my gains are way up and i find the sq isnt quite what it i'd like it to be; saving up for an alpine soon.
    anyways just some info.

ps.
    btw, for bass, yeah, rap and hip hop pretty much go as low as u want. also electronica, especially drum and bass if u r into that. and i think ported box is supposed to give u more spl? or is that better extension? hmm... cant remember.

Thanks Guys For All Your Replies....

And yes CT is right....my alias is actually named for the Kurt Russell character in the awesome John Carpenter films "Escape From New York" and "Escape From LA"....two of my favorite films from my favorite director.

Anyway, I know what y'all are saying about the stuff being jacked, but its just that I didnt buy 15's and a big amp just for bass to be pounding inside the vehicle....if this is such a bad thing, why do all these SUVs roll by with low tones pounding everywhere; seems I can hear and sometimes feel every other cars' systems but no one really hears mine....is there a rule of thumb for this? Do I need to turn the head unit up a bit more? Right now, my Rockford Punch 800.2 is running bridged (SUPPOSEDLY 800 or so watts) to two Punch XLC 15's in a sealed, pre-fabbed box....the head unit is stock in my '99 Accord....there is an inline RCA converter running between the amp and head unit via signal tapped off the 6X9s in the rear deck because the factory head unit has no preamp out, obviously. Do I need multiple amps for bass to carry outside the vehicle more? More subs? Ported box? Different vehicle (the box is trapped in a sealed trunk in my Accord Coupe)?

Happy Birthday To Me, By The Way!

The Big 3-1 Today Fellas!

The Big 3-1 Today Fellas!

Happy Bday.

And with that....

I'm no longer the old fart on the board!!!!! Hahah. Which makes your inquiry to advertising your bass to everyone within earshot that more disturbing. ;)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happy Bday.

And with that....

I'm no longer the old fart on the board!!!!! Hahah. Which makes your inquiry to advertising your bass to everyone within earshot that more disturbing. ;)
    Thanks a million, C! Much appreciated....how old are ye being that you may have been considered the "old fart" of da board?

You are right.....perhaps now that Im getting older I shouldnt so much be into this "bass carrying" issue.....

Thanks a million, C! Much appreciated....how old are ye being that you may have been considered the "old fart" of da board?

You are right.....perhaps now that Im getting older I shouldnt so much be into this "bass carrying" issue.....

Soon to be 29 in a few months.

Bass carrying....well, I suppose most that appreciate the lower octaves tend to go through this phase. Hell, I did. I actually had a dual 12 bandpass box in the bed of a pickup...did it port through the cabin? Hell no. It was just to amplify that "bass carrying" effect. Haha. Looking back, it was about worthless except to show off! Haha. You're just hitting your phase late in the game. No worries.

Soon to be 29 in a few months.

Bass carrying....well, I suppose most that appreciate the lower octaves tend to go through this phase. Hell, I did. I actually had a dual 12 bandpass box in the bed of a pickup...did it port through the cabin? Hell no. It was just to amplify that "bass carrying" effect. Haha. Looking back, it was about worthless except to show off! Haha. You're just hitting your phase late in the game. No worries.
    Cool....thaaaanx

Thread Information