Junior Member Registered Member

high end for a F150?

I'm going to buy a 2004 F150 supercab or supercrew and I expect I won't be satisfied with the factory stereo. I'm thinking of ordering the truck with the standard stereo and just replacing it with a high end system.

I don't know much about car audio products although I'm fairly knowledgable about home audio. I know some people have different ideas about what high end is so I'll tell you what I have in my home system and that should give you an idea of my likes and expectations:

Home Setup
    speakers: Soliloquy 5.3 with Soliloquy S-10C sub
    pre-amp: Rogue Audio Magnum 99
    amp: McCormack
    cd player: Rega Planet

Clarity and accuracy with fast, tight, controlled (not slow and boomy) bass is what I'm after.

Can someone recommend a complete system. I know the home setup I have is close $8K but I would like to keep the truck system under $1500 if possible.

I would like to retain use of the steeringwheel mounted controls if that is possible if anyone knows how to do that?

In my truck I have JL speakers and Alpine amps. IMO the JL XR line for highs is great for highs. The JL W3 and W7 series are awesome subs. JL makes great amps too but they are expensive.

I have Marantz electronics, Velodyne SPL-1200 sub, and Sound Dynamics speakers (sister companies to API and Mirage).

Practical Audio Guru Site Moderator CT!!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunbunny

POINT 1: I don't know much about car audio products although I'm fairly knowledgable about home audio.

POINT 2:

Home Setup
    speakers: Soliloquy 5.3 with Soliloquy S-10C sub
    pre-amp: Rogue Audio Magnum 99
    amp: McCormack
    cd player: Rega Planet

POINT 3:
    I would like to keep the truck system under $1500 if possible.
    Lets break some things down:

Point 1. If you know about home audio, you know about car audio. A woofer is a woofer. Hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. Sure, there are minor variations moving from home to pro to car (amp voltage, woofer cone material, ohms, etc), but essentially the same purpose. Unless what you meant to say is that you know about home audio "brands" and you know little about car audio brands. Fair enough. Thats a given for a lot of home audio types. Goes the same for us car slobs typically. You would not BELIEVE how many people rack of high car equipment lists with raw MDF boxes tossed in the trunk, amps hanging precariously of rear seats and speakers screwed into factory locations...sometimes with impromptu screw holes. But they have a hell of a equipment list!!

Point 2.
    Thats a lot of special equipment and with you in the market for like minded special equipment, leads to point 3.

Point 3.
    Uh, no. To take from point 2, one amp alone to match the quality of your home equipment is going to run that much.

In the car audio world, you have budget...which, unless you are at a flea market or some scroungy (or DIY electronics) catalog, is not extremely easy to come by. Next, you have mid range products that run the gammut of everything from Pioneer to Rockford Fosgate. Sure, these companies have their share of budget and high items, but for the most part...its midrange. Then you have the high gear from the likes of companies like Brax. This is where your $1500 amp is coming from.

Now, $1500 will get you a modest system. A deck, new speakers, a basic sub and amp combo. By no means on par with your equipment line up in terms of "status". Oh, it'll sound nice. But you won't be participating in any penis length games with other audiophiles.

So, before we start using the web to find you products...are you sure you can only squeeze $1500 or do you have extra greenbacks in that wallet of yours?
    You are NOT your audio logo. It's a means to an end, people!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, I meant I don't know car audio brands. Although, there are some areas of car audio I don't feel as comfortable with as I do with home audio.

Yes, I could spend more than $1500 but I don't really want to. I have other hobbies and priorites like a ski boat to tow behind this truck. It sounds like I may have to settle for good mid-range equipment.

I guess it depends on the point of diminishing returns. I don't care about competing with others to see "who's bigger". Just looking to put together system a little better than your average consumer stuff without getting ridiculous. I don't expect to rival my home gear but if I'm going to spend a considerable amount of money I want to make sure I do it wisely.

It's taken years, countless hours and a ton of money to put together my home system and frankly I don't want to go thru that again with my truck. If it's not too much too ask, could you put together a couple of systems at different price points to give me an idea?

I have ......

Pioneer 7400MP HU $350
    JL XR 5x7 Coax's w/ crossovers $350
    JL 8w3's (two) $135 each
    Alpine T220 $130
    Alpine M350 $200
    Wiring, dash kit, etc $100
    Fatmat for doors $60
    Materials for boxes $60

Overall I have about $1500 into my system.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar

Ok Bargain special time

Ok I searched and found some good deals for you on some good equipment.

www.thezeb.com
    Clarion DXZ835MP $220
    CDT Audio Classic Series 6.5" Components CL-61a $150
    CDT Audio Tweeter Enhancment TW-19S/LP $50

www.ikesound.com
    PrecisionPower PCX-2125 $262
    PrecisionPower PCX-280 $174

Subwoofer
    http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SX10
    $180

Amplifier Installation Kit
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.as...uct_id=KOLAK44
    $35

Wiring Harness and dash kit $50

Thats a total of $1025

Not a bad price now you can buy a box for that sub or build one ;)

Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information