Junior Member Registered Member

Question 2002 Explorer problem with A/C smelling moldy

Has anybody heard of the A/C unit smelling moldy? I had this same problem last year and they installed some type of a blower that would turn on for 2 minutes after the truck has been parked for at least 45 minutes to dry excess fluids. The A/C worked fine after that. This year my A/C smells worse, like moldy urine (awful). Now they're telling me it's the environment and they can't fix the environment. They sprayed some deodorizer into the vents and say that'll fix the problem. They told me this happens because I don't drive the vehicle enough. I've had this truck for 2 years and 4 months and it currently has 23,000 miles on it (I think that's plenty). I also have a 1997 Mustang Cobra with 8,300 miles on it, and have never had a problem with the A/C unit smelling moldy. When I asked him why I haven't had a problem with this he very smoothly avoided my question. Any suggestions???

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    Air conditioner mold is fairly common. The first thing to do is see if there are any drains in the system that are clogged. If you can't easily spot the drains, put it up on ramps and run the air conditioner - you should see water dripping out somewhere. If that doesn't work, you will probably have to resort to some sort of chemical for killing the mold.

Actually I think Japanese cars are famous with A/C smells like dirty socks. There are a few things that you can do:

1. There's this holes or gaps between the windshields and the hook, you can run water into it and try to wash it off every now and then when you wash your car.
    2. There are sprays you can get from auto shops that you can spray into this hole and wash the mold out.
    3. Get the professionals to do it, it's expensive.
    4. Get into a habit to turn off your A/C 10 to 15 mins before you turn off your engine, so the moisture is out.

I have tried 1, 2 and 4...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Amberdr
    Has anybody heard of the A/C unit smelling moldy? I had this same problem last year and they installed some type of a blower that would turn on for 2 minutes after the truck has been parked for at least 45 minutes to dry excess fluids. The A/C worked fine after that. This year my A/C smells worse, like moldy urine (awful). Now they're telling me it's the environment and they can't fix the environment. They sprayed some deodorizer into the vents and say that'll fix the problem. They told me this happens because I don't drive the vehicle enough. I've had this truck for 2 years and 4 months and it currently has 23,000 miles on it (I think that's plenty). I also have a 1997 Mustang Cobra with 8,300 miles on it, and have never had a problem with the A/C unit smelling moldy. When I asked him why I haven't had a problem with this he very smoothly avoided my question. Any suggestions???
    You need a can of friggy fresh and set your controls so fresh air comes in.not on re-circ.

Thread Information