Thread: + or - ?

Junior Member Registered Member

+ or - ?

I'm installing new car speakers in a 1999 Saturn SL1. I can determine which terminal is positive and which is negative on the speaker (using the 'ole 9 volt battery test), but how can I determine which car speaker wire (the wires originally connected to the old speakers) is positive and which is negative?

Thanks.

Hoving

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoving
    I'm installing new car speakers in a 1999 Saturn SL1. I can determine which terminal is positive and which is negative on the speaker (using the 'ole 9 volt battery test), but how can I determine which car speaker wire (the wires originally connected to the old speakers) is positive and which is negative?

Thanks.

Hoving
    If the speaker quick-slides are still on the wires, the larger quick-slide is the positive wire. But I'm assuming that they're not, and you just cut the wire clean at the speaker. Got a DMM? If not, get one. You can get one for cheap (I got mine for $7) and they serve as quick and dirty test tools when needed. Attach the positive probe to one wire and the negative to the other. Set your reading for AC Voltage. If you get a negative voltage, the wire on the positive probe is actually then negative wire. If you get a positive voltage, you're OK. And to be honest, it doesn't really matter which wire you hook up to which terminal, as long as you hook them up identically on the other speaker so as not to have speakers out of phase.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Thread Information