Junior Member Registered Member

Safeguarding Your Car Stereo

Car stereo systems are expensive and they're removable. These two factors make them extremely attractive to thieves. So how do you keep your gear, "your gear"? Here's a few tips that will keep you protected.

Stealth Systems
    Following the "out of sight, out of mind" principle, stealth systems are simply systems that try to remain hidden. They use factory speaker grills, removable faceplates, dummy faceplates, underseat installations and in general blend in with the car. It's a kind of "security by obscurity". If they don't know it's there then they're not going to try to steal it. Now if you go booming through the neighborhood you're going to give yourself away.

Security Systems

Security systems are your second line of defense or your first line of defense if you choose not to install a stealth system. I recommend that everyone get a security system. Both for the security features and for the convenience features such as auto-lock, remote start, trunk release and just about any other thing you can think of. Most people are familiar with the alarm siren and think this is the main security feature of the system. It can be an important part but a hardened thief will not be deterred by the siren. And if the thief is experienced he'll be in and out before anyone can call the police. Not that anyone probably would call the police. The majority of people simply ignore sirens thinking they are a false alarm.

I would not recommend installing your own security system unless you have someone with experience guiding you along the way. It is very important to mount everything properly, to hide wiring and to adjust sensors to prevent false alarms. Make sure you have the system wired to all of the pin switches for the hood, trunk and doors. If your vehicle doesn't have hood and trunk pin switches then make sure they are installed. See the chapter on security systems for more information.

Common Sense Tips

Don't blast your stereo system in residential neighborhoods, especially your own. This is just advertising to any thieves within earshot that you have a high-power, expensive stereo system that is worth stealing. Trust me, you don't know your neighbors as well as you think. And they're going to know what time you're at home and when you leave in your friend's car. Thieves will also follow you to wherever you are going and wait for you to leave the car unattended. Then they pull up and do a "smash and grab" on your system and are gone before you know what happened. You'll be left with a seat full of broken glass and no stereo.

DON'T, DON'T, DON'T put manufacturer's stickers on the outside of your vehicle. As cool as you may think this looks it's a huge lure for thieves. Not only do they know you have a system in your vehicle but they have an idea of what it's worth to them. Unless you are being sponsored and it is part of the sponsorship agreement you should not put these stickers on your vehicle. They're called "steal me" stickers for a reason.

Park your vehicle in well-lit areas that have heavy traffic. Thieves hate to be seen. If you are in a shopping area, park your vehicle as close as possible to the door and under a street light. You want your car seen by as many people as possible.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Good read. That pretty much sums it up. If a thief wants your stereo he will get it. There is no real defense for this. The best defense is making sure the thief doesn't know about your stereo. So that means no stickers booming it all the way home etc..
    Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    A Glock works pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    A Glock works pretty well
    I thought you were suppose to provide us with knowledge and inspire us, not give us silly advice... ;)
    Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    well I did have this design that had wires attached to my battery that was attached to the metal handles on my sub box........so once you grab both handles you complete the circut and ouch

well I did have this design that had wires attached to my battery that was attached to the metal handles on my sub box........so once you grab both handles you complete the circut and ouch
    That is just barely a better answer. Trying to hurt or kill the thief is bad news. They can sue for a lot of money if you aren't careful.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar

What are you planning on doing? Charge their watch battery while they jack your stuff? 12v isn't going to do much more to stop a theif than a dead herring in the box. Actually, the dead herring would probably be more effective.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Junior Member Registered Member bustamove's Avatar

Good material for blog section

Pink,

Contact me and we can add your article to the blog section. Much better than a sticky since the search engines will index a blog article better than a message board thread.

Derek
    derek@carreview.com

Junior Member Registered Member
    Very nice tips, Pink.

Yes, our car security/alarm system is our second line of defense.

I want to add a little

Despite all the advice you will read about putting stickers up in your car window saying you have a Clifford or whatever your car security system is, I would advise against displaying them. A competent car thief will be familiar with a Clifford and may have access to the diagnostic equipment which can neutralise it. This goes for all other car alarms though. In other words, keep'em guessing!

Thread Information