Junior Member Registered Member

Question wiring goes where??

hey got new 6x9s for my 92 chevy blazer s-10 and discovered i have some faulty wiring. one speaker works, the other doesn't (the old one didn't work either). so it must be the wiring right? so before i tear my car apart looking for the problem i need to know exactly where the wire is routed on its way to the stereo. under the carpet? under the car? under the side panneling? the is my first time doing anything like this and any help would be great thanx!

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zingtow
    hey got new 6x9s for my 92 chevy blazer s-10 and discovered i have some faulty wiring. one speaker works, the other doesn't (the old one didn't work either). so it must be the wiring right? so before i tear my car apart looking for the problem i need to know exactly where the wire is routed on its way to the stereo. under the carpet? under the car? under the side panneling? the is my first time doing anything like this and any help would be great thanx!
    Well, that doesn't neccessarily mean you have faulty wiring, your amp could be bad (your headunit). But usually its not hard to follow the wireing,y our goign to have to tear your truck apart to find out where it is going. If you decide it is the wireing, its easier just to run new wiring wherever it is easiest for you...i do mine under the trim by the carpets.

Hess

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Most of the wiring is run out the front side of the door back into the cabin, then to the appropriate wire harness. Rear speaker wiring is usually run right under the carpet edge; a lot of cars I worked on had "channels" on the floor edge where wiring would run to the rear. I'd be absolutely sure it's the wiring before you tear it out and run new wire.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

how do i know for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    Most of the wiring is run out the front side of the door back into the cabin, then to the appropriate wire harness. Rear speaker wiring is usually run right under the carpet edge; a lot of cars I worked on had "channels" on the floor edge where wiring would run to the rear. I'd be absolutely sure it's the wiring before you tear it out and run new wire.

~FordX
    i have a new stereo and new speakers... how can i tell for sure if it is the wiring? also, how can i tell where it has gone bad?

if i were to just forget the old wiring and go all new and reroute it how do i tell which wire it is that leads form my pioneer head unit to the paticular speaker? thanx

Senior Member Registered Member
    i have a new stereo and new speakers... how can i tell for sure if it is the wiring? also, how can i tell where it has gone bad?

if i were to just forget the old wiring and go all new and reroute it how do i tell which wire it is that leads form my pioneer head unit to the paticular speaker? thanx

well, you can check the manual for your pioneer HU to see which color wires are for the speaker--after you find out which wire it is, i guess the easiest way to find out would be to pull the HU from teh dash, and cut those wires (both the positive and negative) and just takea new wire just a few feet long and hook it up to a speaker just to see if it makes any sound at all. If it does, your faulty wireing assumption is correct--if it doesn't, you probably blew a channel on your amp in the HU. also, your "new" speaker could be blown or just faulty to begin with.

When i was younger, i had a pioneer HU installed in my car (before i knew how to do it myself)
    and my driver door speaker wasn't working--they told me the speaker was blown and i just accepted it--i didn't have the money to replace it at that time, so i just wrote it off as a loss.

A month or so later, i got around to replacing hte spaker in hte door. Once i did it, the speaker still didn't work. So i ripped out the HU (figured maybe the HU was bad) and i was goign ot put my stock deck back in just to find out--as it turns out, the sons-a-*****es at teh car audio store didn't even hook up the driver door speaker in attempt to get more money out of me.

sometimes you just never know.

Hess.

thank you

just wanted to holla out thanx to all who helped me. not only did i install 2 new speakers but i found that the wiring was faulty and instead of ripping the car apart to find where it was bad i just spliced a new wire at the head an rerouted it under the carpet and panneling and it works great! much props!

Thread Information