Member Registered Member

first car system

Hey, im venturing over from the audioreview forums cause when I get my license in about a year I want to put a nice system in there. The car will be a 92' civic sedan. Not quite sure what head unit I'm gonna get, and I'll probably piece together a nice component package for the fronts and just not have any speakers in the back. But my question is on my subwoofer choice. This amp looks pretty good on paper, what do you guys think of it?
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=166673&DID=7
    I was looking at the Dayton quatro subwoofers, particulary the 12 and 15" models. The 15" spec'd really well in a 3 cubic foot sealed box, but that's running kinda big if I wanted to put two in the trunk. Anybody work with these woofers? they spec pretty well. Also if i were to wire two in parrellel for a 2 ohm load, how well will this amp handle it? I know it says stable down to 2 ohms, but that's not really promising anything. If 2 ohms are two low, how about the Dayton series II 15" woofers ( 2 wired in parrellel for a 4 ohm load). As you can see my budget is not much more then $150 for a sub driver, or a pair of them. And no I'm not going just for SPL, I want it to sound nice and punchy. Also, in my HT setup, I'm running this folded horn subwoofer, it goes rediculously loud in my room, and I was thinking maybe I could put it in the civic. I measured and it would fit VERY snugly. Is there anybody that does this. Cuz i was thinking if I put this in my car, i might be able to win some spl competitions. But anyway, if there are any other (excluding the horn)subs out there that may meet my needs please post them. Also, try to make sure the subs you mention have their T/S parameters so I can run it through my program so I can calculate what kind of box will work best. Thank you.

-Joey

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    I think the Adire Tempest would work well for you. Give it about 4 cubes, tuned to about 30 Hz, and you'll be a happy camper.

http://www.easy-audio.com/products/c...rs/tempest.htm

As for amps, that one looks pretty nice. It would run something like the tempest nicely. And don't worry about going down to 2 ohms, that amp will handle it no problem. Usually, if the manufacturer gives you rating at 2 ohms, the amp will run fine in 2 ohms.

And dont even try to put a 6 cube box in your car, not worth it, I tried. I have a Pontiac Grand Prix, which as you know, has a pretty large trunk, and I could not fit the 6 cube box I built into the car.

As for HUs, general consensus is that Alpine is the best, but I also like Pioneer and Clarion.

Member Registered Member

thanks

a tempest sounds nice. Do you know if anyone tried either the Tempest or the Dayton DVC in sealed 3 cubic foot sealed enclosures? The program says both of them will have an F3 of around 36 hz which is pretty good. I'm not looking at going ported, I like the easier to design and the "tighter" characteristics of sealed subs. Also, do you know of any good components for the fronts? The doors fit 5 1/4" drivers and I'll have to mount the tweeters somewhere on the upper part of the door. I'm gonna need something that can run pretty well off the deck for until I get the money for an amplifier.

-Joey

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    a tempest sounds nice. Do you know if anyone tried either the Tempest or the Dayton DVC in sealed 3 cubic foot sealed enclosures? The program says both of them will have an F3 of around 36 hz which is pretty good. I'm not looking at going ported, I like the easier to design and the "tighter" characteristics of sealed subs. Also, do you know of any good components for the fronts? The doors fit 5 1/4" drivers and I'll have to mount the tweeters somewhere on the upper part of the door. I'm gonna need something that can run pretty well off the deck for until I get the money for an amplifier.

-Joey
    Actually I have ran a Tempest in 2 cubic feet, enclosure was a little small but it still sounded good, I also ran it in 5 cubes still sounded good. Tempest is a good woofer overall. Works great in car and home audio. I would say 3 or so cubic feet is optimal for most people and a Tempest.

Thats my 2 cents.

If you don't wanna have to find a mounting spot for tweeters, go with coaxials. They wont give you the ability to set the sound stage right, but they'll be a heck of a lot easier to install. If you still wanna go with components, then you'll have to do a little more work on the install. I run a pair of MB Quart PSD 213s in my car, although many don't like the brightness of the tweeter (and here is intevas que to start another arguement with me over the tweeter). JL and Focal are good brands as well. You'll have to get some recommendations from other people because I'm fighting the flu and my brain isn't working all that great. Most companies make a similar coaxial and components sets.

Member Registered Member

coaxials

I wouldn't mind going with coaxials, but wouldn't I lose a lot of the high frequencies? I mean how much use could a get out of a tweeter firing at my feet? If they don't sound too bad down there I'll proabbly get a pair and spare myself the trouble. Thanks.

-Joey

If you can, use small washers as spacers to angle the speakers toward you. Another thing you should do is look for a pair of speakers with good off-axis response.

Thread Information