Junior Member Registered Member

hlep a stupid newbie please!

hey i'm trying to put new 6x9's in my '92 chevy blazer and have 2 questions:

1. are all car speakers connections the same?
    2. i have 2 way speakers (stock) in now i beleive. if i buy 4 way speakers will they work?

thanx

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zingtow
    hey i'm trying to put new 6x9's in my '92 chevy blazer and have 2 questions:

1. are all car speakers connections the same?
    2. i have 2 way speakers (stock) in now i beleive. if i buy 4 way speakers will they work?

thanx
    A1) All speaker connections are the same. (+) wire [usually red] to (+) terminal, (-) wire [usually black] to (-) terminal. The positive terminal is usually larger than the negative one for distinction. If you're using the stock wiring and just going the "plug-n-play" route of replacing speakers, you'll need to get a set of adapter harnesse, available at the install bay of Circuit City, Best Buy, or any other car audio shop.

A2) Sure they'll work, but 4-way speakers are completely overkill. I'd go so far as to debate that 3-way speakers are overkill as well. Standard coaxial speakers will be just fine (and probably cost less) for this setup.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

thnx...

my GM has connection plugs but i'm guessing the new speakers will just have terminals. so i can just connect the wires and go? do i have to sauder? what other connection options are there? thanx (or i could get the connector like mentioned, huh)

Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    A1) All speaker connections are the same. (+) wire [usually red] to (+) terminal, (-) wire [usually black] to (-) terminal. The positive terminal is usually larger than the negative one for distinction. If you're using the stock wiring and just going the "plug-n-play" route of replacing speakers, you'll need to get a set of adapter harnesse, available at the install bay of Circuit City, Best Buy, or any other car audio shop.

A2) Sure they'll work, but 4-way speakers are completely overkill. I'd go so far as to debate that 3-way speakers are overkill as well. Standard coaxial speakers will be just fine (and probably cost less) for this setup.

~FordX

my GM has connection plugs but i'm guessing the new speakers will just have terminals. so i can just connect the wires and go? do i have to sauder? what other connection options are there? thanx (or i could get the connector like mentioned, huh)
    You will find those kinds of plugs on every factory speaker. It's the OEM way for quick installation on the production line. The adapters I mentioned have the plug connection on one end and quick-slide connectors on the other end that slip right onto the new speaker terminals. No soldering or crimping needed. But if you don't want to get those, you can cut the plug off and crimp or solder onto the terminals yourself, which is the not-so-easy way to do it. ;)

~FordX

Senior Member Registered Member
    You will find those kinds of plugs on every factory speaker. It's the OEM way for quick installation on the production line. The adapters I mentioned have the plug connection on one end and quick-slide connectors on the other end that slip right onto the new speaker terminals. No soldering or crimping needed. But if you don't want to get those, you can cut the plug off and crimp or solder onto the terminals yourself, which is the not-so-easy way to do it. ;)

~FordX

To add to ford's post, cutting off the plug and crimping (goto walmart and buy the little clamps--50 cents will prolly get you a dozen) is by far the easiest and most cost effective. You just twist the speaker wire and insert into the female terminal and take a pair or plyers to it and sqeeze....

but make sure, if you go this route, when you cut the plug off you leave plenty of wire comming out of the plug incase you ever want to put the stock speakers back in when selling the car (makes it 10fold easier).

hess.

explain..

can you elaborate on the type of clamp i wil need?

Quote Originally Posted by Hessakia
    To add to ford's post, cutting off the plug and crimping (goto walmart and buy the little clamps--50 cents will prolly get you a dozen) is by far the easiest and most cost effective. You just twist the speaker wire and insert into the female terminal and take a pair or plyers to it and sqeeze....

but make sure, if you go this route, when you cut the plug off you leave plenty of wire comming out of the plug incase you ever want to put the stock speakers back in when selling the car (makes it 10fold easier).

hess.

can you elaborate on the type of clamp i wil need?

Thank you Ford

how..

how do the wires connect to the clamp? just clamp them down?

Quote Originally Posted by Hessakia
    Thank you Ford

how do the wires connect to the clamp? just clamp them down?

insert the wire (bare and twisted tight) into the yellow end of the clamp.. then take a pair of plyers to the yellow end and clamp it down.

Thread Information