Junior Member Registered Member

horsepower increase...?

i have about 700$ at my disposal and i want to add hp to my 2004 silverado 4.8 ltre v8. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have looked over some headers and they claim 20-30 hp gain. But then i heard that the gaskets will leak overtime and that the hp gain is not worth the pain and suffering of replacing them. Chips, programmers,etc. anything to make more hp for less $ is good.

any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

-silveradozoom44

Increasing the power.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradozoom44
    i have about 700$ at my disposal and i want to add hp to my 2004 silverado 4.8 ltre v8. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have looked over some headers and they claim 20-30 hp gain. But then i heard that the gaskets will leak overtime and that the hp gain is not worth the pain and suffering of replacing them. Chips, programmers,etc. anything to make more hp for less $ is good.

-silveradozoom44
    Let me begin by asking what you use your pick up for? Towing, daily driver, or performance street.

For towing the best thing to do is to buy a jet performance programmer. Guaranteed you'll like it. My brother and I bought one for his 04 GMC 6.0L Vortec High Output truck and absolutely loved the results. Headers are good power adders only if you will be using the truck for racing. Don't use them if you are planning on using it as a daily driver. The heat generated by the headers with time will fray just about every wire in your electrical system. For performance street let me recommend a programmer, jet is the best choice, get a little larger diameter throttle body, upgrade your ignition system and get yourself a cold air induction kit. The jet programmer lets you change your shifting patterns and feels like you installed a shift kit, it's awesome. As for the exhaust, stick to 2.5" diameter pipes anything larger will kill your low end take off torque. My advice to you is do it one step at a time. Start with the least expensive and move your way up.

I am Batman Registered Member 06Rubicon's Avatar

Wink $700.00 Budget HP Increase

silveradozoom44,
    If you haven't spent your money already, there are some simple, low cost performance mods that will increase hp, torque, and fuel economy regardless of what you use the truck for. All of these components and related part numbers (Pt#) are for a 2004 Silverado with the 4.8L and can be found at http://www.summitracing.com
    • Summit Racing Cold Air Intake Kit (Pt#SUM-239352) = $199.95
    • Trans-Dapt Throttle Body Spacer (Pt#TRD-2566) = $46.39
    • Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust (Pt.#FLO-17263) = $299.95
    • Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil (Pt.#RPO-RP01130) = $6.95/qt
    • Royal Purple Automatic Trans Fluid (Pt#RPO-RP01320) = $8.95/qt
    • Royal Purple Gear Oil (Pt#RPO-RP01300) = $10.95/qt.

By my calculations, this would put you at around $640.00, depending on how many quarts of oil you need. With tax you should be right around $700.00. You also need to factor in shipping, which could be another $40 for UPS Ground?? However, I'll bet money that you would pay more buying from a retail store.

These parts should net you somewhere in the 20 - 40 hp range and 3 - 5 mpg, maybe more. The combined, advertised gains for the individual components is slightly higher but, they will always tell you what you want to hear, right.

A JET chip or Hypertech Programmer may give you another 10 - 15 horsepower, and firmer shifts from the tranny but, both are in the $350.00 range.
    Last edited by 06Rubicon; 11-03-2006 at 22:51.
    Speed takes money. How fast do you want to go?

ok.... so the jet programmer works good... by the way I want the gains for street performance, just something to show off. but anyway will the jet prog. cancel a warranty??
    i may still get it if you say its good. and im pretty sure the bigger the engine the bigger the gain so you having a 6.0 high output might give you more gain than a 4.8 v8.

plz right back

Computer Programmers

silveradozoom44,
    Sorry, I was suffering from a serious brain fart during my previous post. Your '04 Silverado has an OBD II computer which is sealed and does not allow for chip replacement so, you will have to use a Programmer.

Programmers simply plug into the diagnostic port under the dash just below your steering column. Both JET and Hypertech units allow you to choose different parameters to re-program the computer for decent power gains using regular gasoline to maximum power gains using premium gas. Using the first setting could save you enough money in fuel costs to pay for the programmer! These programmers can also recalibrate and correct the speedometer for different wheel/tire sizes, and increase the top speed and rev limiter.

I have used JET products in the past and was satisfied with their performance. For information on JET Programmers, including dyno test results and vehicle warranty information, click link: http://www.jetchip.com/faq.asp
    Last edited by 06Rubicon; 11-12-2006 at 00:36.

JET Power Control Module (PCM)

Quote Originally Posted by silveradozoom44
    ok.... so the jet programmer works good... by the way I want the gains for street performance, just something to show off. but anyway will the jet prog. cancel a warranty??
    i may still get it if you say its good. and im pretty sure the bigger the engine the bigger the gain so you having a 6.0 high output might give you more gain than a 4.8 v8.

plz right back
    silveradozoom44,
    I was wondering if you took a look at the JET website?

I was looking to see what JET offered for my rig and while doing so, I noticed JET has a product called a Power Control Module (PCM) for late model Chevy's like yours. Although I did not see a dyno test posted for the 4.8L engine, JET is claiming a 25 horsepower increase from this product in the introductory write up. Most likely this gain was achieved with the larger displacement engine (5.3L). See info at this link: http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?...&model=491#491

Apparently, the PCM is similar to a performance chip in that it is pre-programmed, versus an actual programmer that you manipulate. JET offers both a Stage 1 and Stage 2 PCM for a 2004 Silverado 1500 4.8L with either a manual or automatic transmission. The Stage 2 sells for $320.00 and requires the use of a 180 degree thermostat, which you would need to purchase separately. At a minimum, it's good to know there is another option available to you.
    Last edited by 06Rubicon; 11-16-2006 at 00:26. Reason: After thought

rubicon,
    it sounds to me like the stage two offers more horsepower. i wanna know if it is a noticable difference in hp. will it throw me back in my seat when i put it down.

also will i be able to beat people in races that i have lost to with this programmer installed???

plz post back

-silveradozoom44

PCM versus Programmer

silveradozoom44,
    You are correct, the Stage II PCM offers more power gains than Stage I but again, I don't think this will "throw you back into your seat". You will notice a definite improvement in the way the automatic transmission shifts, which can feel like more power. This change will improve acceleration as the engine with rev a little higher before up-shifting and the shifts are firm and instant.

The best thing to do is go to the JET website and contact them. Ask them what kind of power gains can be expected from their products when applied to your truck. They will respond and then you can decide if it is worth it. Whatever you do, don't spend money on everything that claims to increase power. You will end up broke and disappointed.

Also, you have to be realistic and consider the vehicle you are working with, and I don't mean that in a bad way. You can only expect so much from a basically stock 4.8L engine, stock transmission, and stock gearing. There are so many things that can affect vehicle performance; positively or negatively.

If your only wish is brute power and speed, then in my opinion, a Nitrous Oxide System (NOS or NO2) is the biggest bang for the buck. These systems can deliver huge power for a low price. I'm talking over 100 horsepower for around $500. But be careful what you wish for because you can easily destroy your truck, which is why I never mentioned it before.

You had better know what you are doing before trying this.

If it were my truck, I would stick to the basics (cold air kit, exhaust, etc.) and enjoy the truck for as long as I owned it.

Here is a video of a guy who destroyed his Corvette Z06 because of a NOS, and I'll bet money he was simply pushing too much spray (Nitrous Oxide) into the engine! :
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=M_RcK359p_c
    Last edited by 06Rubicon; 12-05-2006 at 19:16.

Senior Member Registered Member
    one word.. BEST HP/$ gain ratio...

NITROUS

DO run higher octane when using nitrous, or setup your ignition to back off a couple degrees per 75HP shot... higher octane accomplished roughly the same thing... the coolest part of nitrous... your not waisting more fuel (compared to any other forced induction) when your not "on the bottle" its still the same ol tame truck you know n love

... till you hit that button go baby go!
    As I lay the rubber to the street,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My engine breaths charged air in deep,
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And if the boost to spike too steep,

I pray the Lord my seals will keep

Quote Originally Posted by silveradozoom44 View Post

-silveradozoom44
    Found this thread only now (after last reply in 2008), but i think this information will be useful.
    I have a 2005 Silverado 1500. From that time i`ve tried a bunch of programmers cuz i love off-roading, and for me it`s very important to change from time to time my tires. So, all of these Edge Products, PPE, Gorilla, SCT - ALL of these is suck, instead of ONE that i`m using still from 2012.
    It`s Superchips Flashpaq F5. Damn, this boy is very accurate when it comes to calibrate the speedometer,when i change my tires.
    I can`t describe all the features that this programmer have, but here the review of this boy: https://4wdlife.com/programmers-for-the-chevy-silverado-53l

Will check that out

Junior Member Registered Member jeremydepp50's Avatar
    Simply just needed to state Now i am happy that i stumbled onto your page.

A tuner and an exhaust system will add horsepower.

Junior Member Registered Member Donald88's Avatar
    I need to increase horsepower...i think i need a tuner

Junior Member Registered Member Donald88's Avatar
    Definitely, if you increase horsepower you will need to increase your stopping power. I added new ceramic carbon brake pads after installing turbo kits. Here is a good article to read about Power Stop.

Junior Member Registered Member jeremydepp50's Avatar
    Using a tuner it is possible to increase gasoline or diesel engine performance up to 99 horsepower and 88 lb-ft of torque on a gas truck, and 120 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque on a diesel truck depending upon the model.6

Thread Information