Junior Member Registered Member

Question Need advice!! Which amp should I use for a Kicker S12L7??

hey i just got a kicker S12L7 and i am just wondering which amp i should hook up to this beast? I know the JL 500/1 would be sick but im not really tryin to spend that much money. I have been looking at the JBL bp600.1 and the Kicker kx600.1. Should i man up and go with the JL 500/1, or the JBL 600.1, or the Kicker kx600.1? Feel free to leave any other amp suggestions to go with the S12L7 also, thanks.
    Last edited by almcdiesel; 03-23-2004 at 19:54.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by almcdiesel
    hey i just got a kicker S12L7 and i am just wondering which amp i should hook up to this beast? I know the JL 500/1 would be sick but im not tryin to spend that much money. I have been looking at the JBL bp600.1 and the Kicker kx600.1. Which one of these 2 amps is better and feel free to give me any suggestions.
    I feel the JBL for price wise but both good amps though.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    I would get a Zapco!

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    I would get a Zapco!

Joey, you need to read posts more carefully. If he doesn't want to spend that much money on a JL 500/1, he sure as hell doesn't have the money for a Zapco. It's like shopping for cars, if he cant afford a Corvette, he sure as hell can afford an Aston Martin.

My vote goes to the JBL bp600.1
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

I would get a Zapco!
    Joey Zapco are nice amps I own 2 of them, but they arent cheap, hes on a budget he wants cheap, so read his post stop postwhoring everywhere with usless stuff. And yes the JBL 600.1 good amp cheap, can be found at www.ikesound.com for cheap. The JBL has limited features but it is good solid amp with lots of power and cheap so you cant go wrong with that amp. Also there are plenty of other brands to look at besides just JBL, hifonics comes to mind, and so does US Acoustics.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah I havent done much research on amps. All i know is that i have a s12l7 2ohm and im tryin to get a mono amp that puts out around 500-1000 watts RMS at 2ohm. any good amps out there that someone would reccommened? thanks.

I'll throw in the MTX 801D, it's not quite as cheap as the Kicker or the JBL, but it'll give you 800 watts+, has a built in low-pass filter, allong with a few other handy features.

The JBL will only give you 300 watts in 2 ohms (I believe)

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    I'll throw in the MTX 801D, it's not quite as cheap as the Kicker or the JBL, but it'll give you 800 watts+, has a built in low-pass filter, allong with a few other handy features.

The JBL will only give you 300 watts in 2 ohms (I believe)

WRONG WRONG WRONG, JBL 600.1 JBL 300.1 and JBL 12001. put out there max power at 1 and 2 ohms because its power limited.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    WRONG WRONG WRONG, JBL 600.1 JBL 300.1 and JBL 12001. put out there max power at 1 and 2 ohms because its power limited.

I'm probably thinking of some other amp, oh well, at least we got guys like Easy around here to set things straight when I say something stupid

The JBL 600.1 is $230
    The Zapco REF500M is $320
    The JL Audio 500/1 is atleast $400 something
    I did read the post and the zapco is cheaper than the JL!

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Joey, you need to read posts more carefully. If he doesn't want to spend that much money on a JL 500/1, he sure as hell doesn't have the money for a Zapco. It's like shopping for cars, if he cant afford a Corvette, he sure as hell can afford an Aston Martin.

My vote goes to the JBL bp600.1
    Maybe you should reseach prices before you write stupid posts like this!
    The Zapco amp is a good medium!
    It is Cheaper than the JL approm $100 cheaper and about $100 more then the JBL however it is a much nicer amp then the JBL!

Oh and when you compare things like cars its probably good to compare 2 cars not 1 car and a whole car company! Like a Corvette and a Vantage! You should be specific to because I can go find an Aston Martin for less then I can buy a new Corvette.
    Like 2005 Corvette or 1985 Aston Martin.

Practical Audio Guru Site Moderator CT!!'s Avatar
    The JBL 600.1 is $230
    The Zapco REF500M is $320
    The JL Audio 500/1 is atleast $400 something
    I did read the post and the zapco is cheaper than the JL!

http://www.speakersound.com/index.ht...talog23_1.html

Joey put the smack down!!! Hahaha.
    You are NOT your audio logo. It's a means to an end, people!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey i just bought a US Acoustics USX-1000D amp for around $200 to pound my S12L7. Eazy E you seem to know a lot about car audio, do you think this was a good buy? Anybody else feel free to leave feedback.

Do you have the brand new Kicker the silver and blue one or black and red?
    Because the black one says 750watt max. I was just wondering how you were going to hook this up? If you had the dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm because that amp is capable of 1250w @ 1 ohm and I believe you can wire dual 2 ohm into 1 ohm in parallel. or the Dula 4 ohm into 2 ohm! which would I think still give you over that 750 max.
    Please someone tell me if I'm wrong

Unless you are hooking it up in series dual 2 ohm into 4ohm which would give you 550w i think, which would be a waste of a powerful amp but you got a good deal so...
    Maybe you are upgrading in the future?

Where did you find that amp so cheap?

I have the silver and black S12L7 which i believe is 2ohm. So with the RMS 750 watt Kicker sub and the RMS 750 watt @ 2ohm x 1 US Acoustics amp i got sounds like a pretty damn good package, right?

I have the silver and black S12L7 which i believe is 2ohm. So with the RMS 750 watt Kicker sub and the RMS 750 watt @ 2ohm x 1 US Acoustics amp i got sounds like a pretty damn good package, right?
    Yeah if you think its a 2 ohm I think it might be dula 2 ohm which is good because you can hook it up to your amp 2 ways parallel which is 1250w @ 1ohm or Series 550w @ 4 Ohm. I don't think they make the sub in a non DVC set up but I could be wrong.

Hey i just bought a US Acoustics USX-1000D amp for around $200 to pound my S12L7. Eazy E you seem to know a lot about car audio, do you think this was a good buy? Anybody else feel free to leave feedback.
    Yeah its a good buy, big fan of US acoustics, I actually own one of there amps. So yea good deal, 1000 watts at 1 or 2 ohms nice amp.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah if you think its a 2 ohm I think it might be dula 2 ohm which is good because you can hook it up to your amp 2 ways parallel which is 1250w @ 1ohm or Series 550w @ 4 Ohm. I don't think they make the sub in a non DVC set up but I could be wrong.
    Yeah i know how to wire it parallel@1ohm or series@4ohm, but cant i wire it just to 2ohm?? This might be a stupid question but im new to systems so i need a lil help. A diagram would be helpful also. Thanks

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Yeah i know how to wire it parallel@1ohm or series@4ohm, but cant i wire it just to 2ohm?? This might be a stupid question but im new to systems so i need a lil help. A diagram would be helpful also. Thanks
    Nope. A Dual 2-ohm sub can only be wired for 1 ohm or 4 ohms, as by the laws of physics.

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~cjsalvad/docs/wiring.pdf

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Thread Information