Junior Member Registered Member

Question tire sidewall distortion

I turned up nada with the search feature, so...

I just noticed that the sidewalls on my BFG AT KOs are distorted, i.e. bumpy and wavy. These tires are 2-3 years old, mounted on a 2000 XTerra which sees hard use on jeep trails, unmaintained roads, and rock/gravel beds like the alluvial fans in Death Valley. The unmaintained road is the most common condition: gravel or dirt with rocks, washboarding, ruts, potholes. The vehicle is usally loaded with people and gear.

I just had the tires balanced and rotated and since they were also cleaned (lord knows why) I noticed this just now. The techs who did the work made no comment.Checking other light truck tires in parking lots I see this is not unusual but not real common either, and not to the the extent that I have on mine. Before I ask a tire salesman, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced or seen the same thing, and what to they think?

Lincoln Registered Member
    It very common with LT tires and nothing to worry about as long as there are not big bulges...big ones usually indicate the structure is damaged. Every AT tire I've had was "wavy" on the sidewalls (BFG AT, Firestone Destination AT, Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Goodyear RT/S, Michelin Cross Terrain...they all had waves with the Goodyear and BFG being the most noticable).

Quote Originally Posted by mkh
    I turned up nada with the search feature, so...

I just noticed that the sidewalls on my BFG AT KOs are distorted, i.e. bumpy and wavy. These tires are 2-3 years old, mounted on a 2000 XTerra which sees hard use on jeep trails, unmaintained roads, and rock/gravel beds like the alluvial fans in Death Valley. The unmaintained road is the most common condition: gravel or dirt with rocks, washboarding, ruts, potholes. The vehicle is usally loaded with people and gear.

I just had the tires balanced and rotated and since they were also cleaned (lord knows why) I noticed this just now. The techs who did the work made no comment.Checking other light truck tires in parking lots I see this is not unusual but not real common either, and not to the the extent that I have on mine. Before I ask a tire salesman, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced or seen the same thing, and what to they think?

Thanks! That's a relief, although I'd say one bulge is more noticeable than others - I think I might have picked that up on my last run into Death Valley. I'll just keep an eye on them, and next time I buy tires I might look at something with more plys, although I really like the BFG ATs, especially in the snow.

Thanks! Very Useful, Helpful, and Valuable Information

Thread Information