Junior Member Registered Member

Hi-pass filter & Low-pass filter on amp

The onboard hi-pass and low-pass filter in the amp is it any useful at all? Recently I found out that my 4-channel amp, the 1-2 channel is wired only to the low-pass filter while the
    3-4 channel is wired to the low-pass filter.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar freak
    The onboard hi-pass and low-pass filter in the amp is it any useful at all? Recently I found out that my 4-channel amp, the 1-2 channel is wired only to the low-pass filter while the
    3-4 channel is wired to the low-pass filter.
    Strange...if that is true, you can only run subs off of the rear channels...

Not that I want to brag about it, the amp I'm using is McIntosh MC431M. I bought it off from a friend who was leaving the country for $800 Canadian dollars which I think was a good deal consider the original retail price. Unfortunately, it does not come with the manual and warranty documents and one of the channels is not working properly, and also the hi/lo-pass issue would need to be fixed.

Not to brag or anything but sounds like you got ripped off... Going price on ebay is $700 canadian for a working amp, not one with problems like yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/McIntosh-MC431-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Enjoy
    Last edited by Easy E; 07-23-2006 at 14:39.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I got mine used two years ago. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it costs when it first came out a few years ago in North America? I mean the MC431M not MC431

Hi-pass Lo-pass

On your amp the HP shoud always be put to LP. The HP LP feature on the amps are for frequencies. The LP stabblizes the signal while the HP will let stray freqs in, which could cause your speakers to distort and give a popping noise.

What are you running of that amp

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted_vtec
    On your amp the HP shoud always be put to LP. The HP LP feature on the amps are for frequencies. The LP stabblizes the signal while the HP will let stray freqs in, which could cause your speakers to distort and give a popping noise.
    are you sure you know what you're talking about?
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Senior Member Registered Member
    I think you just made this up. Either that, or you badly misinterpreted what someone else told you about crossovers...

Bah chill on the crack dude. Read this.
    http://forums.carreview.com/showthread.php?t=2354
    Thats my 2 cents.

Car Zone Registered Member

Hi-pass filter & Low-pass filter on amp

low-pass filter is a filter that passes low-frequency signals but attenuates (reduces the amplitude of) signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency. The actual amount of attenuation for each frequency varies from filter to filter. It is sometimes called a high-cut filter, or treble cut filter when used in audio applications. A low-pass filter is the opposite of a high-pass filter, and a band-pass filter is a combination of a low-pass and a high-pass.
    The concept of a low-pass filter exists in many different forms, including electronic circuits (like a hiss filter used in audio), digital algorithms for smoothing sets of data, acoustic barriers, blurring of images, and so on. Low-pass filters play the same role in signal processing that moving averages do in some other fields, such as finance; both tools provide a smoother form of a signal which removes the short-term oscillations, leaving only the long-term trend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Way to reply to a three year dead topic . . . two thumbs up
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thread Information