Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar

Tire Bubble - How Dangerous?

I've suddenly developed a bubble on the sidewall my right front tire. I'm pretty sure it happened when I hit a curb hard a few weeks ago. I've obviously been driving on it for sometime before I noticed it.I know I should go get it looked at, but how dangerous is it? How prone will the tire be to blowing (provided that I don't hit it again)? Can I drive long distances and be safe?

~FordX

Junior Member Registered Member
    "Prevention is better than cure..."
    especially if you’re speeding...

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    I've heard both sides. I've had people tell me to get it replaced immediately, and I've had people who said they've driven on one for 6 months before getting the tire replaced. I'd like to get it done 1 week from today, but I have to drive roughly 500 miles before that.

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    I would not want to take a chance with a weak sidewall myself. Although the only times I have had tires blow out have been due to dry rot, this still seems like a blowout waiting to happen to me.

How to extend tire life

There are many ways to follow to maximize car tire life. Most of these recommendation are very easy to follow. Regular vehicle check out help prevent unforeseen car tire damages. Anyone looking to rent a car, consider to take those ones with good tire threads. Here are five proven ways effective in extending service offered by your tires.
    1. Ensure proper tire inflation; Inflating a car less than the required pressure reduces car its life buy as much as 16%. It is for this reason one need to check regularly tire pressure, they are porous and tend to loose air constantly. Temperature changes also affect the pressure.
    2. Rotate the tires after some time; Depending on the position of the tire they wear out differently. Rotating them ensures they wear out evenly and hence maximize their thread life. It is recommended to rotate them after changing the oil twice, that is to say after about 6000 miles.
    3. Alignment should always be right; This greatly affect the life of your tires by ensuring the friction subjected to the tires is equally distributed. Research shows that tire life can be affected up to 30% by ensuring the wheels are properly aligned. Road hazards can knock the wheels out of position without the diver even knowing, it is important to check alignment regularly.
    4. Replace worm out components; A car to wear out most of the parts and hence they need to be replaced. Worn out parts like the wheel bearings, shock absorbers, rod ends, springs and ball joints need to be replaced once their time has come. Failure to attend to them they translate to affecting the wheel alignment and as earlier stated have an effect on tire life. Some of these wears cause imbalance, vibration and uneven contact between road and tire.
    5. Drive at average speeds; driving at top speeds generates more heat and with no doubt affects the heat reduces the life of the tires. High speeds reduce the thread life by up to 30%. If you are a fast driver then it is advisable to buy the kind of tires designed for that nature. It goes without saying one should always look for genuine tires so as to ripe maximum benefit.
    By following all the steps given it is guaranteed your tires will have extended life. It is worth noting that they play a very big roll ensuring a car comes to halt at the anticipated pace. Good tires play a very big role ensuring life are saved. They also help in complementing the projected driving experience by the manufacturer. If looking to buy a car, ensure the tires are good so that you do not have to undergo extra cost. For more information please visit There are many ways to follow to maximize car tire life. Most of these recommendation are very easy to follow. Regular vehicle check out help prevent unforeseen car tire damages. Anyone looking to rent a car, consider to take those ones with good tire threads. Here are five proven ways effective in extending service offered by your tires.
    1. Ensure proper tire inflation; Inflating a car less than the required pressure reduces car its life buy as much as 16%. It is for this reason one need to check regularly tire pressure, they are porous and tend to loose air constantly. Temperature changes also affect the pressure.
    2. Rotate the tires after some time; Depending on the position of the tire they wear out differently. Rotating them ensures they wear out evenly and hence maximize their thread life. It is recommended to rotate them after changing the oil twice, that is to say after about 6000 miles.
    3. Alignment should always be right; This greatly affect the life of your tires by ensuring the friction subjected to the tires is equally distributed. Research shows that tire life can be affected up to 30% by ensuring the wheels are properly aligned. Road hazards can knock the wheels out of position without the diver even knowing, it is important to check alignment regularly.
    4. Replace worm out components; A car to wear out most of the parts and hence they need to be replaced. Worn out parts like the wheel bearings, shock absorbers, rod ends, springs and ball joints need to be replaced once their time has come. Failure to attend to them they translate to affecting the wheel alignment and as earlier stated have an effect on tire life. Some of these wears cause imbalance, vibration and uneven contact between road and tire.
    5. Drive at average speeds; driving at top speeds generates more heat and with no doubt affects the heat reduces the life of the tires. High speeds reduce the thread life by up to 30%. If you are a fast driver then it is advisable to buy the kind of tires designed for that nature. It goes without saying one should always look for genuine tires so as to ripe maximum benefit.
    By following all the steps given it is guaranteed your tires will have extended life. It is worth noting that they play a very big roll ensuring a car comes to halt at the anticipated pace. Good tires play a very big role ensuring life are saved. They also help in complementing the projected driving experience by the manufacturer. If looking to buy a car, ensure the tires are good so that you do not have to undergo extra cost.
    Last edited by CT!!; 08-11-2020 at 14:26. Reason: spam link

Tire Bubble How Dangerous

If you have a hitch GO with the hitch bike rack. It is way stronger than the spare mounted rack. It is what Ive used for the last 4 years and Im very happy with it.One thing to consider is that I have to rotate 180 deg mi spare tire mount in order for my rack to fit in the libby had a Isuzu Trooper before.Good luck,Octavio

Tire Bubble How Dangerous

I am looking for one too but will go with the hitch mount and likely a Thule.I would offer that the spare tire mount seems more permanent yet some of these dont have fold down arms. I would think fold down arms would be wise unless you plan to always carry your bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93 View Post
    I've suddenly developed a bubble on the sidewall my right front tire. I'm pretty sure it happened when I hit a curb hard a few weeks ago. I've obviously been driving on it for sometime before I noticed it.I know I should go get it looked at, but how dangerous is it? How prone will the tire be to blowing (provided that I don't hit it again)? Can I drive long distances and be safe?

~FordX

Yes i think you can travel long distances and be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Jade219 View Post
    Hey there! my name is Jade and I'm new to this forum
    Hi I'm Philemon, nice to meet you

Quote Originally Posted by olivia963 View Post
    Driving on a tire bubble is extremely dangerous. If you keep driving a car with a tire bubble, you will experience a blowout.Somebody told me that the only things preventing a complete blowout of your tire are a few thin layers of sidewall rubber, nylon, and a polyester.
    I was also told this recently

I wouldn't risk it. There's a risk that the tire will burst at speed. It's not safe.

I remeber i had a tiny bubble on my tire but i took it light

I remeber i had a tiny bubble on my tire but i took it light but eventually it burst in the middle of the road. After having a hard working routine from office when you had to change the tires beleive me if felt worse.

Junior Member Registered Member jeremydepp50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93 View Post

~FordX
    The most common place to see a bubble in the tire is the sidewall. Tire bubbles can also form in areas where the rubber has worn very thin. Driving on a tire that has a bubble is very dangerous and there is a high possibility that it will blow out on you.

You have to replace the tires, the risk of accident is very high compared to the cost of buying new tires. Prioritize safety first.

Junior Member Registered Member Donald88's Avatar
    You have to replace the tire. Not worth in taking the risk.

Thread Information