Thread: Hey guys.

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar

Hey guys.

Hey guys. Long time no see. I have a new vehicle. I am contemplating on either getting a Eclipse CD5030 or an Alpine CDA-9886 (Head units). I've read some good things about Eclipse head units from Calinada. I'm leaning more toward the CD5030 because of its features. What do you guys think?
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

Hey guys. I think I am going to go ahead and order the CD5030 from Crutchfield. I understand that you guys are probably busy with school and/or job(s). I perfectly understand that. That's just life. But, thank you anyway though.

-Malcolm X

Junior Member Registered Member bustamove's Avatar

Play with the head units before ordering

Quote Originally Posted by KirK
    Hey guys. I think I am going to go ahead and order the CD5030 from Crutchfield. I understand that you guys are probably busy with school and/or job(s). I perfectly understand that. That's just life. But, thank you anyway though.

Do any of your local car stereo shops carry the Eclipse and Alpine head units that are on your short shopping list? Try them out and determine if the ergonomics suit you before buying. I doubt there will be any issues with audio quality, but punching the buttons, being able to access your favorite stations and common functions should be ideal for you. Some head units are laid out just plain stupid.

Thank you.

Thank you bustamove. There's a Best Buy that's about 30 minutes away from me. They have the Alpine CDA9886 on display. I messed with the buttons a little before a sales person approached me. As for the Eclipse, ... I became interested in the unit after reading some positive testimony about it from Calinada. I read some hot and cold things about the CD5030 on some other sites. Some things about how it displays menus and how slow it takes to register when operating it with the remote. Thank you for suggesting that I play with the functions first. I guess I'm guilty for looking at the CD5030 sound-toning features. I guess worst comes to worst I can send it back to Crutchfield if it's too complicated. Thank you.

-Malcolm X

Junior Member Registered Member
    what all things have you heard about eclipse..please share your knowledge with us...

Junior Member Registered Member
    Hey guys. Long time no see. I have a new vehicle. I am contemplating on either getting a Eclipse CD5030 or an Alpine CDA-9886 (Head units). I've read some good things about Eclipse head units from Calinada. I'm leaning more toward the CD5030 because of its features. What do you guys think?
    well great to hear that.. please inform about other qualities also.. congratulations..
    Henry Cuban Cigars

Sure, I'll be glad to. The Eclipse CD5030 has a 7 band equalizer while the Alpine CDA-9886 has a 5 band equalizer. So with either one you're not limited to bass and treble adjustments alone. The Eclipse CD5030 already has an internal amplifier channelling 25 watts rms x 4. I think this will be forgiving on my factory bose speakers. The Alpine HU on the other hand doesn't come with an internal amplifier... you have to purchase it separately. Its output is quite high, I think something like 45 watts rms x 4. So I think that would probably overpower the factory bose speakers. Another interesting thing about the Eclipse is it has a time correction feature that determines how the speakers operate at a given distance. However, I think you need to purchase a separate microphone to utilize this feature. Both head units are 299.99 at Crutchfield. Crutchfield offers harnesses, factory stereo removal tools, stereo installation kit, and instuctions that come free with the head unit. Shipping is free. I recommend Crutchfield. Although, to give you guys more options, both head units are 229.99 on eBay. Online Car Stereo has a lower price as well. Only disadvantage is you don't get all the installation equipment. Glad to help you guys.

-Malcolm X

Woops...

Hi guys. I'm sorry, I gave you false information. Apparently, the CDA-9886 has a 2 band equalizer. That means you're limited to bass and treble adjustments. This unit is actually quite similar to the CDA-9807 I used to own. Although, I think you can attain more control of the sound with the optional amplifier for the CDA-9886.
    Another thing I should also mention is that the power for the Eclipse CD5030 is not CEA compliant. So it may or may not deviate from the 25 watt rms x 4. Sorry for being a post whore. CR wouldn't let me edit my last post. Lol.
    Last edited by KirK; 10-30-2009 at 18:53.

-Malcolm X

Hi guys. Sorry for being a post whore, but I did some searching in past forums. Anyway, here is what Calinada had to say about his Eclipse head unit as well as a pair of Adire Audio Koda midbass drivers. Hope this helps.

OK... Scratch my last statement... I have one word for the Koda's:

BREATHTAKING

OMFG... Well, I did some tweaking, and it made a world of difference. I put my Eclipse 8443 in ProMode and took some serious time to adjust everything. I spent the most time working with the time alignment and the parametric eq. Not only do I now truly love the Koda's, but I have a great new respect for this Eclipse deck. In ProMode I was able to measure the distances from all the speakers to the drivers seat and adjust the delay in ms accordingly. Also on the PEQ you can choose 10 frequencies you wish to adjust, and not only can you adjust them, you can even change the bandwidth curve on each! Listening to my new setup made me want to f@#king cry it was so beautiful. I listened to The Eagles, Los Lonely Boys, Audioslave, Kill Bill 2... it all sounded truly amazing. Snare drums felt like they were in the car, I've never felt that with any other speakers before... I mean really FELT and sounded like they were in the car.

So anyways, enough of this, I need to go for a drive

-Malcolm X

Wow...

Hi guys. My father and I managed to get the factory stereo out. Although, with the keys Crutchfield provided I cut up my hands pretty good. Those things are razor sharp. I got the brainstorm to manuever two flat head screw drivers in two gaps behind the receiver. Fortunately, we were able to get the factory unit out, and had the aftermarket stereo intalled.
    I must make an addendum to Calinada's comment about the Eclipse head unit. These units are simply amazing. I honestly underestimated the amount of control over the sound that this unit has. I haven't dared play with the parametric eq or the time alignment yet in fear that I might mess something up. Some time I'll have the chance to read the owners manual. Can't right now because I'm taking this Sociology course.... One of those dumb breadth requirements required for my major. Yuck....
    Interestingly enough, I encountered the same problem Calinada had with the gain on my amplifier. I previously had it at 25%. Now, it seems that I need to have it at 50% to start really hearing anything. This leads me to believe that when Eclipse says the pre-amp outputs are 5 volts, they mean it. Unlike some of the older Alpine decks. Easy E can attest to the voltage not being what it should be on the old Alpine decks.
    BTW, Easy E, I discovered that there is a LOUDNESS control that was set ON by default. I'm guessing this should be OFF, and I already switched it OFF. But, what is your opinion about the LOUD feature? I should probably have this off, right? I value your advice Easy E.
    Last edited by KirK; 11-05-2009 at 20:03.

-Malcolm X

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Yes turn it off, most likely boosts the lows and highs and leaves out the mids. Don't be afraid to play with the time alignment, in the manual it will give you a formula how many milliseconds per foot. You can't screw anything up too bad, you can always set it back to factory defaults. About the parametric EQ, I recommend trying to do some kind of RTA to decide on how to set things up. Most people's ears aren't able pick up what frequency needs to be turned down. If you want some recommendations on some RTA equipment let me now.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Yes turn it off, most likely boosts the lows and highs and leaves out the mids. Don't be afraid to play with the time alignment, in the manual it will give you a formula how many milliseconds per foot. You can't screw anything up too bad, you can always set it back to factory defaults. About the parametric EQ, I recommend trying to do some kind of RTA to decide on how to set things up. Most people's ears aren't able pick up what frequency needs to be turned down. If you want some recommendations on some RTA equipment let me now.
    Hi Easy E. Thank you for your advice. That's nice to know about the time alignment. Apparently the unit came with a microphone. Not so sure if it's designated for the blue tooth thing or to adjust the time alignment. I would like to have your recommendations on RTA equipment. Just out of curiousity what does RTA abreviate? How's the family doing? I read in a previous '06 thread that your wife is having twins. How neat . Thank you in advance Easy E.

-Malcolm X

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Hi Easy E. Thank you for your advice. That's nice to know about the time alignment. Apparently the unit came with a microphone. Not so sure if it's designated for the blue tooth thing or to adjust the time alignment. I would like to have your recommendations on RTA equipment. Just out of curiousity what does RTA abreviate? How's the family doing? I read in a previous '06 thread that your wife is having twins. How neat . Thank you in advance Easy E.
    The microphone might be for the built in EQ the HU can auto adjust for you. RTA stands for real time analysis. My wife is doing good, my twins at 3.5 now and are huge monsters. Check to see what the mic does for you. If it does some kind of RTA with auto EQ adjustment, then you most likely won't need a external RTA.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Thank you Easy E. I copied and pasted your advice to a word document for reference. I'll do some serious tweaking on the HU over the holidays. I have played around with the parametric eq and time alignment thus far. I'll see what the microphone is designated for. I've got a feeling it is for the RTA. Got finals comming up and I just finished this six page paper for my sociology class. Ugg... Yuck....
    BTW Easy E, I wish you and your family to have a happy thanksgiving. I don't have kids of my own yet. But I have a nephew and he is just adorable. I'm still in school. Parents got a divorce a couple years ago. Kind of delayed things, but oh well. I'll get there eventually.

-Malcolm X

Thread Information