Hybrid View

Junior Member Registered Member

Electric Turbos? Do they really work any good? Any HP Gains?

I have been seeing these electric turbos/superchargers going on Ebay and online sites for 150-200 bucks and wanted to know if they actually do anything before I waste 150-200 bucks on one.
    Any help would be awesome
    Thanks
    Chris

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    While driving a supercharger with an electric motor is something that would work in theory, in practice most of them are a combination of a fan designed to make a pressure rise of a few ounces per square inch with a motor that is way too tiny to more enough air. Many of the ones you see on Ebay are actually blowers designed for other applications, such as marine bilge vents or industrial use. They're designed to move small amounts of air, not force it into an engine under pressure. Most of the ones you see on Ebay are likely to be junk.

One of the few electronic supercharger concepts that might make a noticeable difference is the E-ram, which has a somewhat larger motor. I don't particularly like that one either, even though it's one that might possibly work. Check out the discussion on the E-Ram to see why.
    Slanter - redefining "jury rigged repair" since 1997
    '66 Dodge Dart & 2000 Ford Focus -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by VWGTIGOD
    I have been seeing these electric turbos/superchargers going on Ebay and online sites for 150-200 bucks and wanted to know if they actually do anything before I waste 150-200 bucks on one.
    Any help would be awesome
    Thanks
    Chris

There are a couple out there that give a few HP gains, but they're not worth the money you spend on them, they cost more than 200 bucks, and you won't find them on EBay. Spend the money on some intake or exhaust work. A nice cold air intake will increase your fuel economy when you're cruising on the highway on a nice cool day by pulling in cooler air that will burn nicer than warmer air. If you've got 200 bucks to throw away you can get a damn nice cold air intake system.

Senior Member Registered Member
    They work great! Mounted on your dash blowing in your face that is!

Unless they are producing several pounds of boost they don't do anything. Seems like another scam marketed towards people who don't know much about cars.

Spend the money and install a real turbo if you want more power.

E-ram And Intakes

i wouldn't buy stuff that is more complex than a handoperated vacuum pump off ebay even for free. you never know what you get.
    i researched any means of increasing air intake without going into turbos. not for an hour, but for weeks. about the only thing that makes sense is E-RAM. my suggestion is - go on their website and judge for yourslef. pay attention to video and specs. it's not the size of it, it's rpms - 25000, i believe.
    one can blame any electrical chargers of "quackery" but keep in mind, european union is in process of applying e-chargers on small engines AS SOON AS CAR VOLTAGE WILL BE SWITCHED TO 27 VOLTS. it's beeing officially developed as i write this. so, idea has merit to it, simply needs more "juice" from the car.
    now, beware! vip said that nice cold air intake will improve your gas mileage. "A nice cold air intake will increase your fuel economy when you're cruising on the highway on a nice cool day by pulling in cooler air that will burn nicer than warmer air."
    ok, i have thing called scangauge installed on my dashboard which tells me all about my car, including intake temp, mpg, coolant temp, etc. so:
    1. any intakes that end under the hood, are not cold as they have whatever there is under the hood; those cost about $200 (from $127 to over 200, depends)
    2.a "nice cold air intake" will have to be supplying OUTSIDE air under the hood, through the highflow air filter, and into the tb. you might be lucky and have a car that permits this contreption to be very short, otherwise - you'll have almost the same effect with stock air intake system and simply a good air flow filter, i'd recommend amsoil nanometric filter, i believe it's PA filter.
    3. ask any direct air intake manufacturer or performance mod person, or just research for yourself: direct intakes supply more air into tb/intake; this air has more oxygen; higher oxygen level permits better burn; ergo, the power increase. AIR TEMP SENSOR/MAP/OXYGEN SENSOR WILL TELL YOUR CAR FUEL SYSTEM TO PUT MORE FUEL IN!! that is the real reason why power goes up. this is a straight power mod, not a mpg mod.
    4. of course, i'm an idiot and donno what the hack i say. all i know is that after i installed k&n typhoon intake, my mpg DROPPED BY 2.5 miles. now, that's off scangauge, mind ya. it dropped even more when it turned cold outside. you want numbers: it went from 26.7 mpg to 25 fall, and down to 22.3 now, when it's about thirtish to fourtish. so i insulated my engine, and it went up a ted, to 23.2. air intake temp, proportionally, went up from average 45-50 degrees to 80-90.
    as a side dish - yep, them intakes do give you a better "butt dyno" feeling.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Real turbos spin at about 100k. Thats why if you neglect oil changes or shut them down after a hard run you will blow one up. They also create several pounds of boost. On the diesels that I am used to anything below about 5psi you won't notice. 10psi-15psi is where you start to make power. I have a hard time beleving any electric motor could do that without drawing tons of amps.

The best way to really get power is stop messing with this BS crap and get some money. Buy yourself a turbo, and an intercooler. With a diesel you can crank the boost and add lots of fuel to keep up with the boost. But heat becomes a problem. Hence an intercooler is needed to prevent the pistons from melting.

Also don't forget the more boost you force in the greater the pressures on the engine. IE you can blow head gaskets, bend connecting rods and all sorts of fun stuff. Be conservative unless you can afford to rebuild the engine.

I tried electric supercharger, and no it doesnt work. i forgot the math for it, but one works up to 2000 rpms, and blocks air flow after that, the higher the rpm, the higher the blockage, dont waste your money on it.

Electric turbos huh? Less cost but the electric ones wont put out much HP and I think it would probably harm in sales than it would good since most turbo vehicles are geared toward a younger market.

4 inch attwood bilge blower

yeah the 4 inch electric marine bilge blowers/turbos work. I accidentally found out it work. I hooked 2 up to my 3 inch cold air intake. for some reason, when the 4 inch blowers travels through the smaller 3 inch cold air tubing, it actually force more air in like a damn balloon or some **** lol. Remember the 4 inch blowers i have blow out about 240 cubic feet per minute. (cfm) which is about 70 miles per hour i think. my map sensor be trippin tho. i guess i need a 2 bar map huuh. damn im gettin smart with this car ****. lol.

no bad
    thanks

Thread Information