Junior Member Registered Member

Lightbulb Quick Question About Inherited System

Hey everyone i just inherited a Pioneer Premier deck, JBL500/5 amp and two RockFord Fosgate 12'' subs. Im having troubles getting decent sound while both subs are hooked up. I can make the system hit HARD with just one sub hooked up, but when both are hooked up sound quality degrades vasttttttttttly(i doubt they are hooked up right when they are both hooked up). What should i try? one freind mentioned something about bridgeing the voice coils??I have no clue what im doing, im some what of a car audio newbie... ANYHELP would be appreciated.
    Last edited by hituna; 03-12-2004 at 23:27.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    First off, JBL does not make a 500/5, JL makes one however.

As for subs, make sure you have the wiring in phase to start with. You're probably adding one sub out of phase, and effectively playing the subs IB instead of a specifically designed enclosure.

Tell your friend that there is no such thing as bridging voice coils, you can bridge channels on an amp, but not VCs on a sub. He probably means wire them in parallel. which basically means, wire the + on the amp to the + on one sub, and then to the + on the other sub. Do the same thing for the negative. If you have DVC subs, then it gets tricky, you'll have to do a series/parallel wiring to keep the subs in a safe ohm load. This is the best wiring diagram on the net right here:

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html
    you'll want to click on the 2 DVC series/parallel option to see how to wire your subs if they are dual voice coil. If you have two single voice coil subs, click on the 2 SVC parallel option

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    As for subs, make sure you have the wiring in phase to start with. You're probably adding one sub out of phase, and effectively playing the subs IB instead of a specifically designed enclosure.
    Are you smoking something lol, First off IB means Infinite Baffle, which is where the rear wave is seperate from the front wave. Basically there is no acoustic spring on the woofer when it moves, to figure out a woofers IB it is something like twice its VAS. Now Dipole is when you have no enclosure and you have a roll off starting at like 250hz something like a 6db roll off acousticly, I cant remeber the specifics at the top of my head. Now when you wire the subs out of phase basically your just canceling each other out plain and simple
    Thats my 2 cents.

Yeah, my brain has been fried. I meant dipole. even though even that isn't accurate. Yeah, as Easy said, they'll pretty much cancel each other out.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Yeah, my brain has been fried. I meant dipole. even though even that isn't accurate. Yeah, as Easy said, they'll pretty much cancel each other out.
    Yes your brain is fried your getting your facts wrong, and yes its actually pretty close to Dipole depending on location etc, take 2 midranges run them out of phase put them either side of the room, doesnt cancel out that much So it all depends on wave lengths and location etc similar ideas and math as Dipole.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Ok, I admitted my brain was fried, and I used the wrong terminology, you don't have to rub it in.

Basically, what I'm trying to say hituna, is if you wire the subs out of phase, you'll have a dramatic decrease of output and SQ, and you'll probably doing damage to the amp.

Thread Information