Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Amps

Junior Member Registered Member

Best Amps

Fellas Im lookin to purchase some amps to run my comp system, 6x9's, and sub. If you could please list your top choice"S" for amps (Like 5 or so) in order it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    B

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Here are some good amp brands, and when I say good I mean solid and reliable, not necessarily top-of-the-line. Some I've used, some I haven't. In no particular order:

-Zapco
    -RF
    -Alpine
    -PowerAcoustik
    -Phoenix Gold
    -Kenwood
    -Pioneer Premier
    -JBL

I'm partial to RF or JBL for bass power, and I've had experience with Kenwood amps as well. There are a million others too that I'm sure other posters will jump in on.

~FordX

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar

Hey

Hey get a solid 4 channel amp, that puts out 100x4, bridge the rear channels to the sub and use the front channels to the speakers upfront. Ford got a bunch of good amps. check out www.thezeb.com and www.ikesound.com they have pretty good prices on amps.

Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Hey get a solid 4 channel amp, that puts out 100x4, bridge the rear channels to the sub and use the front channels to the speakers upfront. Ford got a bunch of good amps. check out www.thezeb.com and www.ikesound.com they have pretty good prices on amps.

Thats my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply!

Heres what my current systme plan is:

1) Focal component system needs 100watts x 2

2) Focal 6x9's needs 100watts x 2

3) Pioneer or alpine head unti w/ at least 3 pre-amp outputs

4) 1 orion amps that puts out 100watts x 2 at 4 ohms, and another one tha I can run 100watts x 2 to the 6x9's and bridge the others to the sub.

5) My Alumapro 10 BP-Sub

My question is with #3 is Pioneer a good head unit to get? I currently have it and love it but then I dont have this sytem either, just some infinity kappas.

I was thinking of this one...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QsHgEiZ...=0&cc=01&avf=N

or

Are those good choices?

My other question is with #4. What kind of amp should I be looking at to power my sub and 6x9's? I had a 200XTR and it blew my alumapro I had to get it fixed. They said the sub wasnt getting enough power.

Thanks
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Blunto
    Thanks for the reply!

Heres what my current systme plan is:

1) Focal component system needs 100watts x 2

2) Focal 6x9's needs 100watts x 2

3) Pioneer or alpine head unti w/ at least 3 pre-amp outputs

4) 1 orion amps that puts out 100watts x 2 at 4 ohms, and another one tha I can run 100watts x 2 to the 6x9's and bridge the others to the sub.

5) My Alumapro 10 BP-Sub

My question is with #3 is Pioneer a good head unit to get? I currently have it and love it but then I dont have this sytem either, just some infinity kappas.

I was thinking of this one...

or

Are those good choices?

My other question is with #4. What kind of amp should I be looking at to power my sub and 6x9's? I had a 200XTR and it blew my alumapro I had to get it fixed. They said the sub wasnt getting enough power.

Thanks
    B
    FIrst of ditch the rear speakers thats a must, don waste your money amplifying your rear speakers dont even bother buying them, dont need them. Use the money for a nice component set up front instead it will sound much better that way. Second blowing the woofer for not using enough power thats BS. 2 Things either user error or defect. 2 ways to blow that woofer thermally or mechanicaly like playing bellow the tunning. You cant blow a woofer by giving it too less of power, that would mean when you turn down the volume you will blow the woofer, sounds dumb doesnt it. Pioneer makes some good Head Units, I am also an Alpine fan. Get new speakers up front you will love your self for it
    Thats my 2 cents.

Senior Member Registered Member
    Hey I would stick with the focals I also would get a Zapco amp for my Coomps and a RF for my sub. I could tell you to egt rear speakers depending on what kind of car and system you want.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    I second Easy's recommendation to lose the rear speakers. Have you ever been to the concert where they got the speakers set up behind you? Good stereo imaging has the main sound come from in front of you. The only reason subs are generally put in the back is because of 1. the room required by the enclosures, and 2. Sub-bass in an omni-directional frequency, meaning you wont be able to tell where it is coming from.

As for good amps, MTX is by far my favorite, nice blend of quality and price. Zapco makes some of the best amps out there, but they aren't cheap. And JBL makes some of the cheapest quality amps, a lot of bang for the buck. The thing to remember is, power is power, as long as the amp is putting out the rated rms power and it's not clipping.

My suggestion for amps would be the MTX Thunder 684 would work very well for you. It'll give you 85x2 for your front channels, and bridge the rear channels to give you 340 watts for the sub.

The MTX is good but thats RMS Power: 85W x 4 @ 14.4V I don't think your car will give that much probably around 13 I think so it will only be like 65 w probably.
    Tell me if I don't know what I'm talking about CVStroker

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    You're right in that fact that his car probably wont sustain voltage at 14.4 volts, but he'll have more than 65 x4, probably closer to 75x4, which is still plenty.

In all reality, no component set really needs 100 watts. 65 and up for most is plenty. You may think that the difference between 75 and 100 are a lot, but it'll only be .9 db, Barely audible.

BTW, at what voltage does RF rate their amps? They don't specify, so one is to assume that they also rate at 14.4 volts. At least we can say MTX is honest about their ratings by giving 12 volts and 14.4 volts.

lol I'm not sure but I think you are right!
    RF should tell 12 volt to!

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    You're right in that fact that his car probably wont sustain voltage at 14.4 volts, but he'll have more than 65 x4, probably closer to 75x4, which is still plenty.

In all reality, no component set really needs 100 watts. 65 and up for most is plenty. You may think that the difference between 75 and 100 are a lot, but it'll only be .9 db, Barely audible.

BTW, at what voltage does RF rate their amps? They don't specify, so one is to assume that they also rate at 14.4 volts. At least we can say MTX is honest about their ratings by giving 12 volts and 14.4 volts.

most rockford amps come with a birthsheet. i beleave they rate the wattage at 14.4 volts, most rockford are about 25% under rated, ratted at 1000 watts, put out 1100+, price wise mtx and rockford are good, mtx more bang for the buck though, but, how about a macintosh amp? i wish i could say eclispe but i had bad luck with my first one already. alpine type r's components are excelllent value wise

MAc amps= Awesome however they cost so much money!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    MAc amps= Awesome however they cost so much money!!!
    Mac amps are nice but over priced. There woofers are even overpriced nothing special. CES this year the same old display lol oh well, so I really dont care much about MAC lol.
    Thats my 2 cents.

My brother has a MAC like 3 years old in his M3 with old MB Quart and it sounds unreal.
    Again over priced I would agree! They are nice though.
    rather have Zapco. Cheaper not much butcheaper adn just as good

Member Registered Member
    Hey, would recommend ditching the rear speakers.....And I personally use an Xtant 604x for my comps and I am very very pleased, no plans for upgrading at all. Excellent sound quality, no turn dial nobs for the crossover though, it uses jumpers.....they do that to help control signal loss i hear. Power is more then enough, amp is pretty decent price as well. Takes a bit of juice from my batt though. think she's 4x100rms if remembering right...too much power for me right now

I have the version before MiTex bought out, dunno if their new lines are as good.

Just my personal fav at this point

Creedo
    What comps do you have?

Member Registered Member
    Temps in there now...Pair of 5x7 Infinity Ref. I'm in the process of designing some kick panels, but thats after finishing the rest of my wiring for the JBL's...Infinity Perfects will be filling the kicks. The Ref series are doing much better then i expected them too though, just not capable of getting loud enough for my tastes, clean however.

Same comps for the rear too, but found them distracting and unplugged them, they just sit and look nice now :-)

Wow! Thanks for the help.

Ya'll make great points regarding the rear speakers but wouldnt having them provide a "suround sound" like effect? Or am I just dreaming?

As for the Sub not getting enough power the ppl at KarTunes said that I was pushing the amp to the max and the power that the sub was geting was distorted or dirty???? And thats why it blew.

So to sum it up Comp Speakers w/ a 2channel amp along with my Sub and a 2chnnel bridged amp.

The power requirements for my sub are this...."The BP-Series provide power capacities up to 250 watts RMS (400 watts peak)" So just to make sure my perfect amp would give 250watts RMS at 4 ohms correct

Thanks guys!!

Ya'll make great points regarding the rear speakers but wouldnt having them provide a "suround sound" like effect? Or am I just dreaming?

As for the Sub not getting enough power the ppl at KarTunes said that I was pushing the amp to the max and the power that the sub was geting was distorted or dirty???? And thats why it blew.

So to sum it up Comp Speakers w/ a 2channel amp along with my Sub and a 2chnnel bridged amp.

The power requirements for my sub are this...."The BP-Series provide power capacities up to 250 watts RMS (400 watts peak)" So just to make sure my perfect amp would give 250watts RMS at 4 ohms correct

Thanks guys!!
    The "surround sound" like effect is what keeps the myth going. As of this point in time, most music is recorded in 2D stereo. Speakers can't magically create a surround-like sound without the extra channels there. The end result is just a muddying of the sound stage, where the left channel is split between left front and rear speakers, and so on for the right. Not exactly crystal-clear sound. ;)
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

Thanks guys!!
    Yep an amp that puts out a good 250 watts at 4 ohms is fine, usually a 75x4 amp will do the job. Now about the whole imaging, rear speakers will not provide sorround sound effect unless you use a soround sound processor and those arent cheap. Remeber in sorround sound they only produce rear noise when its present, when you just have 2 channels and have them hooked up in the back you are just copying the same material to the rear. Anyway its hard to get a good soround sound setup in a car to get speaker imaging just right etc, easier to just buy a speaker a good set of speakers upfront nad call it the day.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Buy a nice Alpine Head Unit with Time Align its cheaper then buying surround sound processor but works just as well. Alpine makes really great HU's.

So I leave the 6x9 fittings empty? Is that what ya'll do? It just seems weird to me cause everything I ever heard was "get yourself a good pair of 6x9's...blah blah blah" But yall def. know your **** so ill take your word.

Will the sound get to the backseats as well? See in my current set up I can adjust the amt. of power that the front speakers recieve compared to the rear speakers. When I put all the power to the front it sounds like complete ****!!!! Just a fckin joke!!! And I have kappas in the rear and front. Any ideas on why?

Thanks again and again and again

So I leave the 6x9 fittings empty? Is that what ya'll do? It just seems weird to me cause everything I ever heard was "get yourself a good pair of 6x9's...blah blah blah" But yall def. know your **** so ill take your word.

Will the sound get to the backseats as well? See in my current set up I can adjust the amt. of power that the front speakers recieve compared to the rear speakers. When I put all the power to the front it sounds like complete ****!!!! Just a fckin joke!!! And I have kappas in the rear and front. Any ideas on why?

Thanks again and again and again

If your fronts sound like a joke, then they are either getting too much power (distortion), or too little power (not good/loud enough sound). I had Infinity Kappa 6x8s in my Explorer and bridged a 4-channel amp to make it sound awesome. To quote CT, "A properly powered front soundstage will be more than enough for passengers in the rear."

~FordX

Sounds good bro! Now do I leave the 6x9 speaker fitting empty?

BB

Sounds good bro! Now do I leave the 6x9 speaker fitting empty?

BB
    Sure can. If the fittings are visible (i.e., not covered by a deck panel or side panel), you can just get a set of 6x9 speaker grilles (or create your own) to make the "gaping hole" look nice. If you run into the situation where the metal rattles from your system, sound-deadening will take care of it. ;)

~FordX

Thread Information