Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ze New Car

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar

Ze New Car

Alright guys, I'm back with a new car. I got a 1999 Chevy Malibu, which will undergo a stereo overhaul this summer provided I don't wreck it. The front speakers are in a nice kickpod-like spot in the doors, so that makes it pretty easy to do. Hopefully a single 12" sub in a ported box for the trunk.

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    Alright guys, I'm back with a new car. I got a 1999 Chevy Malibu, which will undergo a stereo overhaul this summer provided I don't wreck it. The front speakers are in a nice kickpod-like spot in the doors, so that makes it pretty easy to do. Hopefully a single 12" sub in a ported box for the trunk.

~FordX
    Thats cool, so how much room you got for a sub, what size speakers you have in the front, you looking for SPL. SQ or a mix, whats your budget, with this info I can help you out. ;) gotta love the typical what should I ge for my car question lol.

Thats my 2 cents.

How about you kiss my @ss

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Thats cool, so how much room you got for a sub, what size speakers you have in the front, you looking for SPL. SQ or a mix, whats your budget, with this info I can help you out. ;) gotta love the typical what should I ge for my car question lol.

Thats my 2 cents.

Haha, how come I know the standard speaker size for Chevy cars and you don't? 4x6 in the front. A box with 2cuf MAX for the sub, budget of $600 going for SQ. Watcha gonna do with that boy?

~FordX

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Ok, here's what I got for ya:

Sub: Shiva ($125)
    Amp: MTX Thunder 564 ($190)
    Components: Cerwin Vega Vmag 502 (5.25" coaxials, $110)
    HU: anything you want with the remaining $175

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Ok, here's what I got for ya:

Sub: Shiva ($125)
    Amp: MTX Thunder 564 ($190)
    Components: Cerwin Vega Vmag 502 (5.25" coaxials, $110)
    HU: anything you want with the remaining $175
    Nice work. How good are C-V components? I remember using coaxials by them that were pretty nice. I'm not too keen on MTX amps, so I might go with something else. As for the Shiva, I had it in a 2.5cuf ported box last time, but I'd like to save some trunk room this time. 2.0cuf max., nominal around 1.25/1.5.

Those new Vmag components won some award at CES this year (the V mags have been out for a while, the newer sizes, ex: 4x6, 5x7, 6x8, and 6x9, were the award winners, although the same components are used)

I hear they're some pretty damn sweet sounding coaxials.

MTX amps are my favorite, they're reliable, clean, decently priced, and MTX has some of the best customer support of the big companies. The 564 is a 4 channel amp that is 75x4, so 75 to each component, and 280 (bridged) to the sub.

Why don't you like MTX amps? Just curious

As for the Shiva, seal it, as you undoubtedly know, the Malibu is by no means a big car, so it wont take much to fill it.

Those new Vmag components won some award at CES this year (the V mags have been out for a while, the newer sizes, ex: 4x6, 5x7, 6x8, and 6x9, were the award winners, although the same components are used)

I hear they're some pretty damn sweet sounding coaxials.

MTX amps are my favorite, they're reliable, clean, decently priced, and MTX has some of the best customer support of the big companies. The 564 is a 4 channel amp that is 75x4, so 75 to each component, and 280 (bridged) to the sub.

Why don't you like MTX amps? Just curious

As for the Shiva, seal it, as you undoubtedly know, the Malibu is by no means a big car, so it wont take much to fill it.
    Good point about going to a sealed box instead. I'll have to check out those C-V coaxes; the ones I had back in the day were wicked good too just off of deck power. I've never used MTX amps personally, but I've had friends fry them often. Maybe it was just them. ;)

Good point about going to a sealed box instead. I'll have to check out those C-V coaxes; the ones I had back in the day were wicked good too just off of deck power. I've never used MTX amps personally, but I've had friends fry them often. Maybe it was just them. ;)
    Yea well when you bring them into loads that it isnt stable it will blow and most kids dont understand minium impedence ;) Also when the new Koda series 12 comes out that should work great compared to the Shiva, and it likes small amounts of power which is good.

Thats my 2 cents.

I've never used MTX amps personally, but I've had friends fry them often. Maybe it was just them. ;)
    They were probably using first or second generation MTX class D amps. The first generation really had problems with the MOSFETs blowing out, and the second generation was a big improvement, but there was still the occasionally blow-out.

You rarely hear of problems with blowing out the current third generation amps, as long as you keep them within their stable ohm limits. The ones now are pretty solid.

Welcome the newest member to the 100 club baby!!!!

Yea well when you bring them into loads that it isnt stable it will blow and most kids dont understand minium impedence ;) Also when the new Koda series 12 comes out that should work great compared to the Shiva, and it likes small amounts of power which is good.

Thats my 2 cents.
    Yeah, WHENEVER the Koda series comes out. I'm also looking into JL and Infinity for my subs.

They were probably using first or second generation MTX class D amps. The first generation really had problems with the MOSFETs blowing out, and the second generation was a big improvement, but there was still the occasionally blow-out.

You rarely hear of problems with blowing out the current third generation amps, as long as you keep them within their stable ohm limits. The ones now are pretty solid.

Welcome the newest member to the 100 club baby!!!!
    Congrats, that officially makes you Post Whore Number Three.

Yeah, WHENEVER the Koda series comes out. I'm also looking into JL and Infinity for my subs.
    They should be rolling out the 12's late spring early summer and the 10's late spring. But it can roll out later then that but I hope it doesnt, I would like to get them rolled out before the summer since that is when most sales happen for car audio.

Thats my 2 cents.

Congrats, that officially makes you Post Whore Number Three.
    I am the one and only official post whore, you guys are just following me

Thats my 2 cents.

[QUOTE=Easy E]I am the one and only official post whore, you guys are just following me QUOTE]

Bull, I am the origional Post Whore. You only started Post Whoring after I did, because you didn't want to be beaten by me. The only reason you're ahead of me is because I had computer problems for a few weeks, plus you got high speed internet.

[QUOTE=CVStroker]
    I am the one and only official post whore, you guys are just following me QUOTE]

Bull, I am the origional Post Whore. You only started Post Whoring after I did, because you didn't want to be beaten by me. The only reason you're ahead of me is because I had computer problems for a few weeks, plus you got high speed internet.
    Children. Can't post with 'em, can't hunt 'em for sport.

No I didnt, learn how to quote me next time lol See how its reall done I postwhored on CR before you ever joined CR

Thats my 2 cents.

Children? Where? I'm hungry

Children? Where? I'm hungry
    Your a child compared to me I am an old fart, get in my belly, but no seriously less postwhoring lol.
    Thats my 2 cents.

They call me Kemo Registered Member rccars411's Avatar
    If you like children, i can yoink MJ's list of kids that were his favorites!
    -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nah, they're not any good anymore

Old fart huh? I'll bet you're not more than 6 years older than me.

Nah, they're not any good anymore

Old fart huh? I'll bet you're not more than 6 years older than me.
    Yeah your probally right but i lay some farts that smell like they are pretty old
    Thats my 2 cents.

So Easy.....

.....where's the system on a $600 budget? Stroker did a pretty good job at giving advice; I'm beginning to think he's a more valuable post whore. ;)

.....where's the system on a $600 budget? Stroker did a pretty good job at giving advice; I'm beginning to think he's a more valuable post whore. ;)
    I did give you some valuable advice about the Koda series, also Stroker beat me to the punch for the system you want with the budget of $600 but if you want my take on it, ok.
    For the Amps Used Hifonics amp 75x4 or 75x2 +300x1 bridged $100 ebay
    For the components grind those doors, go with CDT Classics $150 at thezeb
    Woofer Koda series 12" $175
    CD Player Clarion DXZ635MP $150 Thezeb
    Knukconceptz wiring $25 4 ga kit
    Total $600
    Thats my 2 cents.

Stroker did a pretty good job at giving advice; I'm beginning to think he's a more valuable post whore. ;)

My head just grew 2 sizes

haha

My head just grew 2 sizes

haha
    LOL, but Easy's gear sounds sooooooo much better

Thread Information