Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    16

    Good deal? Alternatives?

    Two things - first, that Concept PT-12 sub I was talking about. Do you think it is a good deal or not for $165 shipped? I wish I knew more about it, I will hopefully have some t/s parameters for it soon. It is used, but only at IASCA 2003 finals. Here is the link to pictures and stuff again. If you don't think that would be a good deal, please suggest some alternatives for $150 ~ 175.

    Second - Refurbished Tsunami GXA1000D. $140 shipped from eBay. Apparently, this amp uses the Lanzar Vibe 1200D board, so it should be good for about 1200w @ 1 Ohm. I would think this would be great for the PT-12 or other dual 2 Ohm sub. Good deal? If not, alternatives for ~$150?

    Thanks
    Last edited by mud; 02-29-2004 at 13:21. Reason: Getting [URL] to work :)

  2. #2
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    That shold be your call, seeing as many of us have not heard of those subs, we know little/nothing about them. So if you think you're getting a good deal, then go for it.

    As for the amp, 1200 watts for $140 is a good deal, but you gotta make sure you're getting 1200 watts. I really don't really have much experience with Tsunami or Lanzer, so I don't know the quality of either.

  3. #3
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    That shold be your call, seeing as many of us have not heard of those subs, we know little/nothing about them. So if you think you're getting a good deal, then go for it.

    As for the amp, 1200 watts for $140 is a good deal, but you gotta make sure you're getting 1200 watts. I really don't really have much experience with Tsunami or Lanzer, so I don't know the quality of either.
    That Tsunami amp will put out a good solid 1000 watts, Lanzar arent the best amplifiers overrated etc but oh well.

    Thats my 2 cents.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    16
    I just ordered the Tsunami amp, and I think I'll go for the sub too, although I am going to see if I can get him to go down to $150 shipped. The few things I have been able to find on it have been good, so I figure what the hell, I can get one cheap (I think). I saw one sounddomain page where a guy had one hit 144db, is that good for 1 12? I won't have it in an spl box, but that sounded good anyway.

    Here are the t/s parameters for 2002 Concept subs for anyone who cares:

  5. #5
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by mud
    I just ordered the Tsunami amp, and I think I'll go for the sub too, although I am going to see if I can get him to go down to $150 shipped. The few things I have been able to find on it have been good, so I figure what the hell, I can get one cheap (I think). I saw one sounddomain page where a guy had one hit 144db, is that good for 1 12? I won't have it in an spl box, but that sounded good anyway.

    Here are the t/s parameters for 2002 Concept subs for anyone who cares:
    Well tell you one thing those concepts arent even close to the RE HC. They have half the xmax the RE HC does. They have 10.5mm one way, which isnt a whole lot. The mids I am getting have 12mm of xmax to give you a perspective ;) So its still up to you if you want to go ahead and buy that sub. It has a high FS, so you wont be able to play suber low on that woofer either. This is just my oponions.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  6. #6
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Yeah, Easy is right, that thing is nothing like a HC, it's really closer to the Cerwin Vega Stroker.

    The T/S specs for the Stroker (12" version) are:

    Power continuous: 1000 watts (500/coil)
    Fs: 45
    Qts: .230
    Qms: 8.880
    Qes: .231
    Vas: .76 (ft/sq)
    Xmax: 11.5mm one way
    Re: 3.4
    Sd: 83.53 in/sq

  7. #7
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    16
    They have 10.5mm one way, which isnt a whole lot.
    Yeah, I noticed that too, it kind of scares me. How much of an upgrade would an eD k be over my current MTX 8000?

  8. #8
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    16
    Also looking at eD B's now.
    When is adire going to make a happy medium between the shiva and brahama?

  9. #9
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by mud
    Also looking at eD B's now.
    When is adire going to make a happy medium between the shiva and brahama?
    They are actually working on one at the momment expect its release hopefully late spring early summer but who knows when its gonna happen.

    Thats my 2 cents.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  10. #10
    Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by mud
    Also looking at eD B's now.
    When is adire going to make a happy medium between the shiva and brahama?
    Beware of Easy E's slander against eD. ;)
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

  11. #11
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by FordXplod93
    Beware of Easy E's slander against eD. ;)
    Those ED B's are actually left over parts that ED bought up to get built, its Audiomobile woofers. Not bad woofers but not the best. Never liked the owner of Audiomobile.

    And hey I dont slander against ED, I may not be the most fond of them but thats another story in itself... Just a few people have left a bad taste related to ED etc...

    But anyway.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  12. #12
    Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Those ED B's are actually left over parts that ED bought up to get built, its Audiomobile woofers. Not bad woofers but not the best. Never liked the owner of Audiomobile.

    And hey I dont slander against ED, I may not be the most fond of them but thats another story in itself... Just a few people have left a bad taste related to ED etc...

    But anyway.
    Hehe, you're so much fun to poke at.
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

  13. #13
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    FordX, did he rant to you like he did to me about ED?

  14. #14
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    16
    Hey, I want the ED rant. What's wrong with em?

  15. #15
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    It's not so much what's wrong with the subs, but what's wrong with the company, ask him, I don't want to say too much (I probably already did)

  16. #16
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by mud
    Hey, I want the ED rant. What's wrong with em?
    Send me an IM if you want to know my oponion.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  17. #17
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    16
    Ok, I have some more options I would ask your opinions on: PG Ti12, PG Ti12 Elite, Dayton Titanic (diff. versions), SI Mag D2 (really want, but $300), and, probably my current top choice, the Stryke AV12. It seems to have good specs, everything I have read about it has been positive, and at $175 + low shipping it's not too expensive.

    And maybe I will actually get around to IM'ing you sometime Easy E. . . but I sleep now. . .

  18. #18
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by mud
    Ok, I have some more options I would ask your opinions on: PG Ti12, PG Ti12 Elite, Dayton Titanic (diff. versions), SI Mag D2 (really want, but $300), and, probably my current top choice, the Stryke AV12. It seems to have good specs, everything I have read about it has been positive, and at $175 + low shipping it's not too expensive.

    And maybe I will actually get around to IM'ing you sometime Easy E. . . but I sleep now. . .
    The Dayton Titanics etc similar to a Shiva/Tempest. The SI Mag D2 isnt a bad woofer. The Stryke AV12 from what I remeber was made for home audio, but I think you can get it to work in car audio. If I remeber right the specs are over inflated on that woofer. Now the PGs not bad woofers Inteva uses them he gets pretty loud and they are cheap.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  19. #19
    Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Buffalo ny
    Posts
    31
    Local shop quoted me 1200 for 2 PG Titanium Elites, but they also wouldnt let me hear them "we dont have the proper box or power" - so maybe not a great quote, but seem a little high priced for your budget even still. Great sub though, looked to be built well, dual spider and 3" peak to peak they claim. Take a look at 9500's from MTX too, again a diff shop wouldnt let me hear. I should open up my own and show them how to sell subs, idiots..lol

    Good luck on your search, hope it doesnt take 4 months like mine.

  20. #20
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Don't let the shop give you that BS. Just make them mount the sub in a box tuned to 28-35 hz, and give it power, no need to play the RMS into it. Hell, our local shop only gives it's display 13W7 ~350 watts, and it shakes the listening room. I remind you, 350 is nowhere near the RMS of that sub, but very impressive nonetheless. If the shop wont mount the sub and play it for you, then they're probably trying to sell you a bum or over-hyped product. I doubt that is the case with the PG or the MTX 9500, but they still could show what it could do.

    One thing I really like about that MTX 9500, you'll never get it to fail thermally, it'll go mechanically long before any thermal damage occurs. That 4" VC is nutso.

  21. #21
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Don't let the shop give you that BS. Just make them mount the sub in a box tuned to 28-35 hz, and give it power, no need to play the RMS into it. Hell, our local shop only gives it's display 13W7 ~350 watts, and it shakes the listening room. I remind you, 350 is nowhere near the RMS of that sub, but very impressive nonetheless. If the shop wont mount the sub and play it for you, then they're probably trying to sell you a bum or over-hyped product. I doubt that is the case with the PG or the MTX 9500, but they still could show what it could do.

    One thing I really like about that MTX 9500, you'll never get it to fail thermally, it'll go mechanically long before any thermal damage occurs. That 4" VC is nutso.
    The MTX 9500, interesting woofer, goes have a good thermal power handling. Also the MTX sub should be fine mechanically, I cant remeber the spider they are using on it, but it should be good for a pretty far distance, you loose lots BL before you bottom the woofer out, because of the deep basket. But I can still cook a MTX 9500 with a 1000 watt amp ;). See it has a funky design propietary basket etc, but it still uses conveintal design, I have heard one they dont sound as good as a W7 or Brahma. I mean they are decent SQL woofers and get pretty loud also.

    The PG woofers, they are good woofers, Inteva swears by them, he can get pretty loud with them. The new PG woofers have all these LEDs and crap in them which is a major turn off though. Oh well.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    270
    I have a 12" RF Power HX2 I got it for $270 w/s+h online and a RF 1501S amp that cost me $500 w/ S+H. I built my own box 40" long 12" high 12" Deep with (2) 4" diameter ports
    that curve intorward the the sub. Fits perfect in the back of my explorer. for $800 you can't go wrong if you have a smaller car it will be loud. I'm thinking about getting another Sub and amp.

  23. #23
    CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ijoey1017i
    I have a 12" RF Power HX2 I got it for $270 w/s+h online and a RF 1501S amp that cost me $500 w/ S+H. I built my own box 40" long 12" high 12" Deep with (2) 4" diameter ports
    that curve intorward the the sub. Fits perfect in the back of my explorer. for $800 you can't go wrong if you have a smaller car it will be loud. I'm thinking about getting another Sub and amp.
    $800 spent, I could of used my money more wisely got the same results with less money, but oh well, thats cause I been in the car audio scene way to long . Man I wish I had 800 right now.
    Thats my 2 cents.

  24. #24
    I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    2,281
    Brahma and MTX 1501D: $700, and it'll spank the HX2 and RF1501S combo.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    270
    What could I have got for that much money?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Good news
    By CVStroker in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 20:38
  2. What is a good site with free shipping?
    By WannaGoBOOMBOOM in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:22
  3. A Good Story About Best Buy Install Bay
    By FordXplod93 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •