Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Registered Member

Well, How About it Fellas......

Does anyone else have any insight to this "outside the vehicle bass" issue I am having? Outside of some suggestions as to put the subs in a ported box or perhaps put the box on top of the back seats after dropping them (which I wont do), does anyone else have any idea why, even if Im pumping my 15's REALLY loud, with my windows cracked and sunroof open for exposure, people in the street or in a parking lot or such dont really turn their heads to notice the system until Im practically on top of them?

I mean, dont get me wrong here --- there are times when someone, like my cousin the other day, will be coming out of a store while Im waiting for them and Im crankin' up the bass, and she was like "wow.....I heard that **** from almost inside the store.....those are nice speakers you have......" or it COULD be, as suggested, that Im not playing the RIGHT kind of music for really deep, low, loud bass to carry better.....but on the whole, it just seems, like so many of you said, that people just dont give a **** about bass anymore and Im wondering if, as was suggested also, that 800 or so watts bridged that this Rockford 800.2 amp is putting out to the Punch XLC 15" subs running in parallel, is just not enough to really "get attention" from outside the vehicle.....

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    I cant believe for the life of me that Rockford would load these boxes without calculating optimal performance from them before putting in the right woofers; why sell them then? I dont this "box" is my problem with the bass not carrying outside the vehicle........
    People have different music taste etc also. So when creating a optimal box they have to trade off. Then you have to calculate and adjust for the average vehicle too, cause cabin gain varies between cars. Ported boxs will be louder but you have to sacrafice more space... Do you have the room?

Basically it boils down to alot of things, people dont care its so common these days. The average person is running like 2 12s with 500 watts or so. Which is almost as loud as you. But its all in the install, I just ran a compeition the other day, this guy with 200 watts and a single 12 beat a few other people with more power and more subs. Each vehicle is different, some are better for bass some suck.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I see, Easy......

Member Registered Member
    I see, Easy......

Maybe u should just add more power or better subs...

Quote Originally Posted by smoov-429
    Maybe u should just add more power or better subs...
    While I know the PUNCH XLCs werent Rockford's best subs, I have seen these SO MANY TIMES in competition vehicles; and I cant believe that coupled with this Rockford 800.2 amp, the bass isnt carrying outside the vehicle that great.....I mean, the amp is running in BRIDGED mode and even shut down on me for the first time the other day because I was blasting it so hard.....so this things GOTTA be crankin out some power......

While I know the PUNCH XLCs werent Rockford's best subs, I have seen these SO MANY TIMES in competition vehicles; and I cant believe that coupled with this Rockford 800.2 amp, the bass isnt carrying outside the vehicle that great.....I mean, the amp is running in BRIDGED mode and even shut down on me for the first time the other day because I was blasting it so hard.....so this things GOTTA be crankin out some power......
    Yea but how many compeition vehicles do you see running those subs with only 400 watts each and in a sealed enclosure. None.... Gotta go big ported box and more power to get alot more output... Plus you gotta keep your car from flapping around so sound deadener is a must but then your bass doesnt carry outside as well.... Unless the windows are down and stuff.
    Thats my 2 cents.

"Yea but how many compeition vehicles do you see running those subs with only 400 watts each and in a sealed enclosure. None...."

I used to work for Car Sound & Performance Magazine and saw plenty of non-SPL-competing vehicles that SHOOK PRETTY HARD with some XLCs in there with even less power than that at Hot Import Nights and CES events; not that this means anything because Im going for out of car response......

"Gotta go big ported box and more power to get alot more output"

I really dont think I need IN EXCESS of 800 watts to get people to hear me, but the big ported box may be a consideration......my installer INSISTED that I get this sealed box and that they "hit".........

"Unless the windows are down and stuff"

This is what I dont understand......my windows AND sunroof are down and open when I am in "bass" mood.....or is that mode?

Ported will be louder always will be. Different cars have different responses. Hatchback cars are signicantly louder then other cars with trunks... You could always try ported and port through the rear deck and remove the stock speakers, or just remove the stock speakers and let the bass into the cabin easier...
    Thats my 2 cents.

Resident Flamer Registered Member -dh-'s Avatar
    why do people not turn their heads until Im almost on top of them?
    people just dont give a ****

You just answered your own question. Good job.
    Life's a heavy price to pay, but when you're dead, there's no complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    You just answered your own question. Good job.
    dh, that was VERY clever, but uncalled for because you took the "question" completely out of context in order to give me YOUR opinion and twisted the replies around; but it was a clever attempt.

"Ported will be louder always will be. Different cars have different responses. Hatchback cars are signicantly louder then other cars with trunks... You could always try ported and port through the rear deck and remove the stock speakers, or just remove the stock speakers and let the bass into the cabin easier..."

Well, since Im not going to cut out my stock speakers or alter the cabin in any way, I guess I will have to consider going with a ported box and take into account the kind of vehicle I am driving with a closed, sealed trunk as opposed to a hatchback......thanks Easy.

"Ported will be louder always will be. Different cars have different responses. Hatchback cars are signicantly louder then other cars with trunks... You could always try ported and port through the rear deck and remove the stock speakers, or just remove the stock speakers and let the bass into the cabin easier..."

Well, since Im not going to cut out my stock speakers or alter the cabin in any way, I guess I will have to consider going with a ported box and take into account the kind of vehicle I am driving with a closed, sealed trunk as opposed to a hatchback......thanks Easy.
    Why not take the rear speakers out? Those subs can blow your back speakers anyways.... I mean I dont even have back speakers hooked up I took them out hehe...
    Thats my 2 cents.

"Why not take the rear speakers out?"

Naaaaaahhhhhh.......

"Those subs can blow your back speakers anyways"

Doubtful; how?

[QUOTE=Snake Plissken]"Why not take the rear speakers out?"

Naaaaaahhhhhh.......

Since when does accurate musical reproduction include music coming from behind you?
    Nobody goes to concerts and stands with the back of their head facing the band?

oh right..i forgot you just want to be heard. Who cares about sq?

and yes, those subs can blow out your rear speakers. Easy knows what he's talkin about.

dh, that was VERY clever, but uncalled for because you took the "question" completely out of context in order to give me YOUR opinion and twisted the replies around; but it was a clever attempt.

why thanks.

You posted your question on a public forum. Your gonna get opinions whether you want them or not.

and really..people DON'T give a ****. Stop thinking they do. My God...

Ok well think about it. The way the bass gets into your cabin is through the speaker holes. Now think what happens if you hooked up 2 6.5s in the same box as 2 15s. The pressure from the 15s will push the 6.5s to there limits. Basically using hte little 6.5s as Passive Radiators but they dont work too well.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    "Yea but how many compeition vehicles do you see running those subs with only 400 watts each and in a sealed enclosure. None...."

I used to work for Car Sound & Performance Magazine and saw plenty of non-SPL-competing vehicles that SHOOK PRETTY HARD with some XLCs in there with even less power than that at Hot Import Nights and CES events; not that this means anything because Im going for out of car response......

"Gotta go big ported box and more power to get alot more output"

I really dont think I need IN EXCESS of 800 watts to get people to hear me, but the big ported box may be a consideration......my installer INSISTED that I get this sealed box and that they "hit".........

"Unless the windows are down and stuff"

This is what I dont understand......my windows AND sunroof are down and open when I am in "bass" mood.....or is that mode?

Hey man, not tryin to be funny but what did u learn when u worked for that magazine?? cause it's obvious, ur system, car, or whateva just aint that loud, change somethin!!! do somethin. And subs can blow ur back speakers, my subs tore up a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck...(too much air pressure) im not no expert but it's obvious, ur stuff is weak. If all you want is out of car response, then step up, get more power n listen to what people tellin u on here!!

Hey man, not tryin to be funny but what did u learn when u worked for that magazine?? cause it's obvious, ur system, car, or whateva just aint that loud, change somethin!!! do somethin. And subs can blow ur back speakers, my subs tore up a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck...(too much air pressure) im not no expert but it's obvious, ur stuff is weak. If all you want is out of car response, then step up, get more power n listen to what people tellin u on here!!

Speaking the truth, I like u already and I dont ever like noobs... lol
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Speaking the truth, I like u already and I dont ever like noobs... lol

Thanks, I just had to say somethin.

"oh right..i forgot you just want to be heard. Who cares about sq?"

What are you so hung up on about me wanting to go with a bass-heavy system instead of one designed for SQ? The goal is not SQ, and while you may appreciate that, sometimes others dont, and so, what, do you want to just keep typing sarcastic things to people who dont agree with you?

"and yes, those subs can blow out your rear speakers. Easy knows what he's talkin about."

Yeah, Im sure. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by -dh-
    why thanks.

You posted your question on a public forum. Your gonna get opinions whether you want them or not.

and really..people DON'T give a ****. Stop thinking they do. My God...
    What you are giving are not opinions, they are sarcastic rhetoric, so dont throw some **** around defending the fact that this is a "public forum"......

And maybe YOU dont give a **** about the bass......but there are people out there that DO, so MY GOD.....

What I did for the magazine had NOTHING to do with the issues I am discussing here on my system, so please do me a favor, learn how to write English sentences that make sense first and know what you're talking about before you come in here and bash someone --- you have NO idea what I did for the magazine and it had NOTHING to do with LEARNING anything regarding car audio --- I was a writer by trade and I was covering a DIFFERENT SECTION of the magazine for them. How do you know my car "aint that loud" as you so cleverly put it.....did you ever sit in it? Why is my stuff weak?

I get the feeling Im dealing with someone here who's much, much younger than me and simply inexperienced in the world.......

"Speaking the truth, I like u already and I dont ever like noobs... lol"

Thats just because you have administrative control here (MY GOD I dont know HOW that happened) and simply pick on people you dont like. That was simple to analyze why you like this noob who's probably around 10 years old.

Thanks, I just had to say somethin.
    Well, it wasnt much, I'll tell ya that......

How do you know my car "aint that loud" as you so cleverly put it.....did you ever sit in it? Why is my stuff weak?
    Isn't that the exact point of this thread??? That even you yourself do not think your bass is loud enough and you think people down the street should be hearing you? I don't think that's all that clever, just a simple statement of the obvious...

Thread Information