Hybrid View

Senior Member Registered Member

Why Can't They Hear My Bass?

In the trunk of my 1999 Honda Accord EX V-6 Coupe resides a sealed box with two Rockford Punch XLC 15" subs; the subs are being powered by a Rockford Punch 800.2 amp running bridged to the subs, which have been wired in parallel for maximum gain from this amp.....the head unit is the stock Honda CD unit made by Alpine for Honda, and it sounds great in my opinion, so I never swapped it out for an aftermarket deck; an installer friend who put it all in for me has used an RCA converter at the amp, where he has tapped into my 16X9 rear deck speakers for signal, because we're using the factory head unit with no pre-outs.....

Dont get me wrong --- when I bring the volume up, and crank the stock head unit's bass knob up a bit, this system ROMPS.....the two 15's can make your entire body vibrate out of the car, even though they're in a sealed, not ported, box. But my question is, why, when I drive around with the windows cracked and sunroof open, and the bass blasting, do people not turn their heads until Im almost on top of them? Shouldnt this system --- which is "supposed" to be putting out nearly 800 watts when this amp is bridged --- be able to be heard from a farther distance than that to make people notice and hear the bass? Do any of you other bassheads experience this in your systems, where people wont turn and look on the street or in a parking lot or something until you're almost on top of them? SHOULDNT they hear my system coming from a distance at least when cranked?

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    First off blasting your music isnt very cool. I dont like people who drive around all day with there subs all the way up. Second you dont really have that nice of a system thats why they cant hear you plus your car is pretty sound deadened so bass is hard to leave the car etc...
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    First off blasting your music isnt very cool. I dont like people who drive around all day with there subs all the way up. Second you dont really have that nice of a system thats why they cant hear you plus your car is pretty sound deadened so bass is hard to leave the car etc...
    Well, thats YOUR tatste, about blasting music not being very cool......I DO NOT drive around all day with my subs all the way up-----I strategically pick where and when I am going to pump the system ---- and it is NOT in residential neighborhoods to wake innocent people up. You have the wrong idea here. So, your opinion --- and thats all it is is an opinion --- of it not being cool is something that YOU hold by, not everyone else. I bought 15 inch subwoofers TO BE HEARD; there was no other reason. Why else would you drop 15s in a car if not to be heard? BUT heard in the right place and the right times --- like driving through a busy Las Vegas hotel parking lot --- this DOES NOT bother people sleeping anywhere, no matter how you slice it. And whether or not "you like" these kind of people that enjoy blasting their subs is irrelevant to my question; I didnt ask if you like these people and you dont have to like me --- I just want to know how 800 supposed watts are not escaping out of the vehicle with windows cracked and sunroof open.

And what do you mean its not that nice of a system --- you DONT THINK THAT AN 800 WATT AMP IN BRIDGED MODE SHOULD BE OUTPUTTING ENOUGH POWER to produce bass that SHOULD travel outside the vehicle? Whats wrong with two 15's and an 800 watt amp? WHY WOULDNT that produce bass THAT CAN BE HEARD? And we're talking ALL Fosgate stuff here......isnt there anything to be said about that? AT ALL?

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Dude lighten up man.

About the subs yea ok you got 2 15s sure you can be heard outside, doesnt mean everyone is gonna turn there heads, and doesnt mean your gonna be heard from real far away. You have a car with lots of sound deadener from the factory its hard for the bass to leave the car... 800 watts and 2 15s in a sealed box will get loud relatively speaking but not really loud.... I was never a huge fan of RF stuff. But yea, if you want to be heard outside build ported boxs and have the ports firing out of hte cab lol, make a big hole nad have it fire outside or something. (Me being sarcastic now dont get mad) Try different angles of facing the woofers etc that can yield a bit better results. I guess low bass carries farther then high bass... Something to think about... If you have the room try going ported to get a bit louder... having the box fire into the cabin through the rear deck or something can help as well, since the windows is a good way for the bass to escape.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E
    Dude lighten up man.

About the subs yea ok you got 2 15s sure you can be heard outside, doesnt mean everyone is gonna turn there heads, and doesnt mean your gonna be heard from real far away. You have a car with lots of sound deadener from the factory its hard for the bass to leave the car... 800 watts and 2 15s in a sealed box will get loud relatively speaking but not really loud.... I was never a huge fan of RF stuff. But yea, if you want to be heard outside build ported boxs and have the ports firing out of hte cab lol, make a big hole nad have it fire outside or something. (Me being sarcastic now dont get mad) Try different angles of facing the woofers etc that can yield a bit better results. I guess low bass carries farther then high bass... Something to think about... If you have the room try going ported to get a bit louder... having the box fire into the cabin through the rear deck or something can help as well, since the windows is a good way for the bass to escape.
    Easy,

Im sorry for coming across like I did; its just that I thought you were getting the wrong perception of me and WHERE and HOW I pump my bass ---- I have respect for all neighborhoods and I pick certain places I WANT to pump it up. Now, it is possible, like you say, that not everyone will necessarily turn their heads; that could be. But I dont see HOW two 15s with a Rockford Punch 800.2 in BRIDGED mode CANT be getting the bass to be heard outside the vehicle --- you say its possible that 800 watts into TWO 15s isnt really "that loud" but how can that BE? The main problem is that people turn their heads ONCE MY CAR IS ON TOP OF THEM, NOT from a distance off.....you think this has to do with the sealed box? The box is flush up against the rear of the back seat, with the woofers firing FORWARD, so you see the subs when you open the trunk.....my installer told me THIS is the correct way to load a sub box in a trunk like mine so a massive "bass wave" develops against the trunk and couples the bass response......is this not correct? Should the subs fire FORWARD toward the back seats? And do you honestly think that a PORTED box INSIDE A SEALED CLOSED TRUNK like mine is going to make a difference in the bass output? The ported box is STILL going to be trapped inside that trunk......

Thanks for your ongoing help, by the way.....

Spam Reaper Site Moderator Slanter's Avatar
    Could be the sound insulation. If it's good at keeping noises out, it's also good at keeping noise in. Unlike, say, a stereo installation in a '64 Impala, which has practically no sound insulation unless you add it.

Then again, I've sometimes suspected that the cars with the bass that's really easy to hear from outside actually put the speakers in the fenderwells.
    Slanter - redefining "jury rigged repair" since 1997
    '66 Dodge Dart & 2000 Ford Focus -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    or
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Junior Member Registered Member

I’m in the same boat am I being heard or shook to death

I have a 03 gmc duramax 4 door and was wandering why my bass isn’t carrying outside like it once was I had a single 12” tezla 1.5 on 2500rms in a console box tunes to 35 hz and it was pretty loud out of the truck now I have added a second 12 and bridges the amp so now I am running 3200 rms to both in a 4.0 civic foot box tuned at 32 hz and it doesn’t seem as loud outside but feels like a earthquake inside I just don’t quite understand it

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    Same problem with my '95 Buick Regal back in the early 2000s. Try Second Skin Audio; a better and less expensive alternative to Dynamat.

Here's a link; explore. I've used Spectrum in the past.

https://store.secondskinaudio.com/products/

These days I can't justify putting expensive equipment in the vehicle anymore and integrated my car audio equipment into my HT back in 2015.
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

yes this will be next upgrade for sure. Dynomat is just so expensive and I would have to have quite a lot of it on my top it is rattling big time. I will be looking into this for sure. The only other mods left for me to do is upgrade alternator or add duels as my truck already has the bracket and pigtail for a second alternator. And upgrading to a lil better head unit.

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    Iraggi Alternator and Ohio Generator are still very good Go-tos for alts. Mechman's gotten into the game. Sonic Electronix has a good variety of vehicle-specific models.
    Democracy is a Hypocrisy.

-Malcolm X

yea I have looked into Mechman and dc power I will check out those others and try to decide if I want to go with one larger alternator or duels

Bass Problem

I know how to use distortion but I want the 808 sound to maintain its integrity, I want it to have body and more presence in the 100-250 range while maintaining the same quality

I should also add that this problem is only on speakers and I've tried on numerous high and low end speakers but it headphones it sounds perfect

Thread Information