Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good SPL subs

Member Registered Member

Good SPL subs

Hey guys looking for a good 15inch spl sub and get 2 of them that will hit in the 150's....
    i want the sub to play good too as a average sub but when we take it to competitions i wanna be able to hit around 150+... if yall got any ideas or see any subs that can do that and sound really nice.. let me kno please... later

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Brahma 15 Extreme
    RE MT
    Cerwin Vega Stroker
    Digital Designs 9500 and 9900
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Member Registered Member
    Now if u look at adire website... they have this Maelstrom sub that says it suppose to be really good.. anyone heard anything about it?

also me and easy have been talkin and since im lookin to hit 150's about... he doesnt think that the brahma is the sub to go for at all... so wat yall think? is the MT really that good and could get me to those decibels

Member Registered Member
    wat yall think about the new pioneer spl 5000 subs.. there suppose to be really good.. and they say there $900 but i can get them for half that... so if yall think there really good and 2 of them could hit around 150's let me kno...

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    Okay this may not be an SQL subwoofer, but if you're looking for SPL I'd say possibly a 18" Kicker Solo X (S15X). Supposedly, some competitor hit aroud 170 dB with it according to this one car audio mag I read at Borders. Like I said supposedly, don't know if the writer/author was full of sh*t or not. Yeah its 18 inches sorry for confusing it as a 15" at first.
    Last edited by KirK; 06-13-2005 at 17:49.

The Nonconformist Registered Member KirK's Avatar
    If you're not really that big of a fan of the square subwoofers, than probably the Pioneer/Premier 5000SPL would be good for SPL. I wouldn't recommend two though. That would be overkill, considering that the company says one alone can hit 173dB.

Member Registered Member
    my decisions between my subs are Cerwin Vega Stroker and Pioneer TS-SPL5000... both really good subs.. if anyone has any knowing of either 1's and have heard them and tell me how they sound and a average decibel reading that would be grea... also.. maybe Digital Design but there expensive as crap.. let me kno what yall think...

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    Its all in the install. The guy running that single 12" is car is basically a cement bunker and running excessive amount of power to his subs... A sub with a direct drop in from another you can gain like 1.5DB going from the RE XXX 18 to the RE MT 18. My friend knows because he has owned both. So in reality if you have any good SPL woofer the difference in drop in changes is less then 3db. You also have to design the enclosure around the sub you are using. Subs all like different enclosures. There is always like a magic number for enclosure size for each sub to get the most SPL per space possible. I have a few friends that are pretty serious into competing.

Basically if you want to hit 150, you are going to need to go about 2 15s and 3000 watts total. And thats in a good install. Because a RE MT 18 with 2500 watts on it couldnt break 150 with a giant ported box in a civic making it a 2 seater. I think my friend was stuck around 148.

My other friend hes hitting 147 or so, with 2 tempest and 800 watts. He has a old van, basically its a 2 seater now walled off, subs are in like 8 cubic foot enclosures each so like 16 cubic feet total.

There is another guy who runs tempest. He hits like 150+ like 151. He has run 2 tempest and 3 tempest. Not alot of power under 1500 watts I think.

I had a friend in a explorer, he hit 148 with a single Brahma 15 and 1500 watts. He had a nice install.

Like I said its all in the install.

Another forum memeber he hasnt been around lately, he has 2 tempest in his van I think he was in the mid 140s. He was running like 800 watts or something total.

I got a friend with 2 Crossfire subs, running 2 15s. He is hitting around 148 right now, but he has some tunning to do. He can probally squeeze another 3db out of the subs. He is running about 2500 watts.

Basically it boils down to the install and vehicle some are easier for bass like the ford explorer notorious for being loud. Some others arent as well for bass. Trying to hit 150 is a pretty hard thing to do these days on these new meters.

I hit 135 with a single Brahma 15 sealed with around 800 watts. My friend hit like 132 with 2 Type R alpines sealed with like 800 watts. And my other friend hit 135 with a high tuned audiobahn sub ported in a explorer with around 800 watts. So to hit 150 which is 15db which is a huge difference is a big thing.

By the way all these numbers are off the new Termlab sensor, which is the strictest mic out there.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    k well iono but i kno 1 thing that ive been reading on forums... the pioneer 5000 or the Cerwin Vega Stroker are the way to go
    i say people that had 2 12's of the cerwin and they were hittin 157.3 and 159.7 for another 1.. that is insane.. they must have a sweet set up... but i kno that they are really good SPL subs and they are made to hit hard.. if iwere to get 3 pioneer 5000 i bet u i could hit high 150's if i had a good set up... help me out and let me kno ur insite on wat u think and the Cerwin Vega Stroker also go be the same as the Pioneer 5000 so let me kno please

Yea there are plenty of people hitting high numbers with alot of subs. They just have insane installs. I heard some people talking about pioneer subs but I dont know if they were those. The strokers sure can get loud that is true. When people talk about what they hit I never trust them. I only trust when i see it on DB Drag website, a official sanction man. Because they use TL meters and they follow the rules etc. Yea its possible to hit high 150s but unlikely.

To create a loud setup its more then just sound deadening a few things making a simple box and throwing the woofers in there. There is so much more then that. If SPL was that easy then more people would be hitting so much more. Like I said my friend has a really nice SPL install sound deadner, huge alt extra batteries. He is running like 2500-3000 watts, he took his back seats out and he still cant break 150.

The stroker is a proven sub to be loud, been around for years. It can have decent SQ but thats about it, basically to hit 150+ its hard to have any SQ lol.

I talked to my friend about running those pioneers he said they are nice. Also said high 150s with 3 of those yea he laughed. Just because its so hard to hit above 150... Like I said its more then just the sub, SPL is 10% equipment and 90% install.

SPL gets exspensive I hope you have a big budget. Sounddeadening is going to run 300+ then you need a big alt so your looking at $250 and then $500+ in amps and subs. Then $200 in wiring, $200 in batteries. Subs depends on what you use. So in reality your looking at a coupple thousand easy just for starters... Some of these guys are putting in 10s of thousand of dollars into the rides for SPL but alot of them are getting sponsored but they still have to pour alot of money in it.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaRider21
    wat yall think about the new pioneer spl 5000 subs.. there suppose to be really good.. and they say there $900 but i can get them for half that... so if yall think there really good and 2 of them could hit around 150's let me kno...

Those SPL-5000s are junk. I've toyed with them some. Alpine nailed the target audience perfectly with them. Loud, with moderate SQ. But not that loud. The sound louder than they really are because they distort up the ass.

The Maelstrom is a SQ sub, not good for hitting high SPL numbers (although possible)

And the (mkII, not new version, not sure about them) Brahmas are good for SPL. When Scottie J jumped from regular Brahmas to the B15 Extremes, he only gained about 1.5db (he was already knocking door of hitting 170 dB)

The RE MT is just vicious. They've burped a single 15 with 25,000 watts multiple times, and it stayed together. The DD 9900 is pretty close to that, also a very mean sub.

Don't worry too much about what who is hitting with what. Just because Aaron Roberts hit a 176.6 with 15 12" Strokers does not mean that you will break 150 with a pair of 15s (although very possible). It's like saying that your Camaro can run a 9 sec quarter mile because the guys Camaro up the street can (and don't you ricers give me crap about that, I see Camaros hitting those numbers all the time, they're just not street legal). It all is reliant on the install.

And to the comment about the SoloX hitting 170 by itself. Someone (his name eludes me at the moment) hit a 169.x with a single JL 10W7 (I kid you not).

Of all SPL subs out there, I'd rate the RE MT number 1, followed by the DD 9900, B15 Extreme, DD 9500, CV Stroker, Kicker SoloX, Mmats Juggernaut, a crap load of other subs, then the Pioneer SPL5000

When going for SPL, there is no such thing as overkill, it's always not enough.

Just for a little interesting info, the first version of the Stroker came out about the same time as Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It was originally a theater sub, which people noticed was insanely loud when installed in a car. The basic design had changed very little up until about 2003.

The new maelstrom has be revamped has more BL and 24mm throw instead of 12mm. It has one really long coil so it can take thermal power real well.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/MaelstromSeries.htm

The big driver gets better. The mighty Maelstrom is now a complete line of subs. Available in 12", 15", and 18" sizes with dual 4 and dual 2 Ohm voice coil options. Extreme SPL performance with high sound quality as well. High stroke, high motor force (29 N/A!), high power handling - the triple threat. Bring home the trophies with the big gun: Maelstrom.

Each Maelstrom subwoofer features a cast 4 spoke (6 spoke on the 18" driver) aluminum basket. Massive triple stacked magnet slugs. All steel cut from ultra-low carbon 1008 grade (not 1012 or 12L14 like most other manufacturers use). Custom wound 3" diameter 4 layer copper voice coil using an aluminum former. Treated thick paper cone with matching dustcap. Heavy foam surround. Rubber mounting gasket. And legendary Adire engineering throughout.

Run with the big dogs. Master the Maelstom.

Thats hte description, I have talked to Chris and Dan about the new upcoming products, the maelstrom is suppose to work well at SPL. The overall real good street banger woofer that can take a crap load of power. Its not out yet so we have to see. My friend might get a pair to replace is Crossfire subs... I bet he can gain a db or 2.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Member Registered Member
    In the past few days ive been looking up alot of subs.. so far the subs wit the best price for 12's would have to be Cerwin Vega Stroker, RE MT, Pioneer SPL5000... iono wat u heard cv stroker but these subs set the new world record...so they have to be good... all i kno is the i want to put 3 12's in a x-cab pick up... and if i have to hit in the mid 150's ill put 4 12's in there... money is kinda a issue... but ill wait till i save enough ( plus its me and my bro so 2 incomes ) im just really sketchy on wat subwoofer to buy.. i really need help here because i really want to go to competitions with these subs... if anyone can give me good installation tips so i can install theses subs to the max to help me hit 150's that would be greatly appreciated... any other advice on subs let me kno.. i need all the help i can get please.. thnx .... later

In the past few days ive been looking up alot of subs.. so far the subs wit the best price for 12's would have to be Cerwin Vega Stroker, RE MT, Pioneer SPL5000... iono wat u heard cv stroker but these subs set the new world record...so they have to be good... all i kno is the i want to put 3 12's in a x-cab pick up... and if i have to hit in the mid 150's ill put 4 12's in there... money is kinda a issue... but ill wait till i save enough ( plus its me and my bro so 2 incomes ) im just really sketchy on wat subwoofer to buy.. i really need help here because i really want to go to competitions with these subs... if anyone can give me good installation tips so i can install theses subs to the max to help me hit 150's that would be greatly appreciated... any other advice on subs let me kno.. i need all the help i can get please.. thnx .... later
    Go with the MTs. They're the best of the bunch.

And a LOT of subs, I mean a LOT of subs have held world records. They reset every year as well. Just because it holds a world record doesn't mean the sub is great, it means the installer really knows what he's doing. That holds true for a lot of subs. I was a bit harsh on saying that the Pioneers are junk, but they're definatly overhyped.

Junior Member Registered Member

Kickerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr

Kicker L7's hands down. I'm currently running one S12L7D2 with a Kicker KX1200.1, so far I've hit 148.2 in a ported box. I'm planning on upgrading the alternator and since the 148.2 I've made several other upgrades, just waiting on the alternator to get it measured again.

What meter did you hit that on, where was the mic, what frequency did you play? It would be very rare for you to hit that on the new Termlab unless you were doing a wall etc and some serious setup... To the sounds of it you were doing that on like a Audiocontrol which is about 140 or so on a termlab. The L7 is a decent cheap SPL woofer. Def not the best SPL woofer but it can put up some good #s especially with the cone area advantage...
    Thats my 2 cents.

Pioneer SPL5000 "Judge or Junk?"

To answer this question let me first educate those of you who are ignorant in the audio world. We will first analyze pioneers claims and compare these to known Audio facts. Pioneer has always been known as a reputable company producing quality products for many years, but was more specialized in non-competition audio. Honestly when I heard they were going Kilowatt competition I was very hopeful they would succeed in producing a fine sub-woofer capable of meeting the task. After analyzing the specs on thier new SPL5000 I was disturbed with certain technicalities commonly over looked by the untrained eye. These Technicalities are as follows: 1. The SPL level of the Pioneer SPL5000 is only 88db which is the minimal level in Quality range of a Speaker. but why would that be an issue? 2. The pioneer SPL5000 is not truly a sub-woofer which responds withen the frequency range of 20-500hz but instead is in fact a Woofer responding withen the range of 18hz-2Khz. Woofers are rated far higher in SPL levels (98-115db) than sub-woofers usualy ranging from 82 - 97db. Now why would this be an issue? A Speakers SPL is it's ability to transfer power into sound. Now if the average sub-woofer is in the range of 82-97db with a frequency response of up to 500hz then why is the Pioneer SPL5000 which responds within (18hz-2khz) being classified as a Sub-woofer when in fact it truly falls within the frequency parameters of a Woofer, and should be within the 98 -115db SPL range. So if this is the Case this means Pioneer was unable to truly produce a Quality range Sub-woofer and attempted to get through the back door of Kilowatt competition by means of disguising it as a Sub-woofer. Now if all this is taken into account and the Pioneer SPL5000 were in fact a sub-woofer in theory it would only likely have a 78db or less SPL and that is more then likely why they Cheated. So you ask me "Is the Pioneer SPL5000 Judge or Junk?" Well, if you love distortion and wanna live a lie then "Judge", however If you want clarity from a true quality kilowatt Sub-woofer, well I think the answer is clear "Junk".....lol So what is a Quality Sub-woofer?......... The Cerwin-Vega Stroker (series 1) These "Stroker" True 15" Sub-woofer's obtained a 186.7 db world record in the euro-compitions in the late 1990's and have held that record to date. These Subwoofers Have a 1200 RMS / 2400 Peak Wattage rating and an incredibal 95 SPL producing the clearest sub frequencies( 18-250 Hz) I have ever heard in my Professional career. In my professional opinion these are the finest Sub-woofers ever designed allowing you to get every watt worth of "Bass" and not "Distortion" These Sub-woofers were produced for nearly 10 years and next to the Audiobaun flame-Q have the highest Sub-woofer SPL rating in the world. Unfortunately these Sub-woofers are no longer being manufactured due to thier being replaced by the wattage superior, but SPL inferior "Stroker" (series 2) Sub-woofer. So which is better Series 1 or 2? well that's a whole other story...lol

Quote Originally Posted by DucKalifornia
    BLAH BLAH BLAH, Stroker is good
    Stroker is a good woofer, the new one is good too. I don't agree with your reasoning why the Pioneer sub sucks.
    Thats my 2 cents.

He's got the end idea, but doesn't know how he got there

Thumbs up Go with the Pioneer

my decisions between my subs are Cerwin Vega Stroker and Pioneer TS-SPL5000... both really good subs.. if anyone has any knowing of either 1's and have heard them and tell me how they sound and a average decibel reading that would be grea... also.. maybe Digital Design but there expensive as crap.. let me kno what yall think...
    I may be the only one with this opinion but, although the Stroker is an SPL Monster it is ugly as sin. The Pioneers are awsome. Better value, better cosmetics. I just couldnt roll with ugly subs in my ride. U never said what type or how many amps u plan on running. Thats a bigger concern than speaker brand. I've got 2 Audiobahn Alum Q 10's on a Hifonics 2005d in my mustang & I'm hitting 134db. & trust me, thats all amp. When I had them on an Autotek 750ss I only got up to 121db. I'm about to pull an upgrade for the Pioneer's myself with another Hifonics. It oughta hit pretty damn good if it dont blow my trunk off

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike01
    I've got 2 Audiobahn Alum Q 10's on a Hifonics 2005d in my mustang & I'm hitting 134db. & trust me, thats all amp.
    Not bad could be better for that much power. I hit 135.2 with a Single 15 Sealed and 800 watts in my truck on my termlab the strictest mic out there.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I'm from mass an there's a place down here that sells a sub called inferno and a next level raging inferno and there said to be the loudest subwoofers u can buy. There made by a company called megaloud an they absoutly thump. The guy hit like a 180 I think it was and holds the record for the loudest single 12

I'm calling BS on that one. If the sub was that great, we would have heard about it.

I looked up the woofer they only have info on the inferno, it is a typical 12 spoke venezuela basket, standard motor painted black. The 12" looks like junk, the 15" is ok... I would never pay even close to the $700 msrp. lol. And I never heard of them until now. Definately not the best woofer out there.
    Thats my 2 cents.

spl one halfi s the sub but you have to compare apples to apples i can take one 12 inch RF P3 and out do 2 12 inch P2s MTX is another good one pie has some to but the design of the box is the most important of all the wrong design you WILL h have poor results

Thread Information