Junior Member Registered Member

Amplified power for about 5 seconds

Here's some history. I had a Pioneer (don't have the exact model in front of me) that got stolen. I have the Eclipse 3640 Amp. When I had the new tuner installed (the next model up from the one I had), I was told there was no power from the amp. All I had was the back speakers working. Now, occasionally, I will hear the amp pop. Recently, I'd have power from the amp until I tried to turn it up. Anything beyond about 19 would shut the amp down. I'd have to turn the truck off and restart it to get the amp back. Once, I had the amp but muffled sound from the front speakers.

Anybody have any clues what may be happening? I've checked all the connections at the amp and they appear to be fine. The RCA cable was replaced with brand new fairly heavy guage. I haven't opened the unit up to look but the fuse on the outside appears fine.

Bad Amp?

There's more to add. If I unplug the cable to channel 1 which is the front speakers, I can crank the sound and the sub works just fine. I took the truck back to the installers. They ohmed the front speakers and they both show 4 ohms each which is correct. They tried a different tuner and the amp cut out. They ran the front speakers directly to the tuner and they worked fine. They're still saying it's the amp. If I keep the sound turned down below about 16 then everything works fine. Anything else I can try?

Oh, and something else. If I have it turned down so all is working and put my ear next to the front speaker, I can hear it fading in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by breckrider
    Here's some history. I had a Pioneer (don't have the exact model in front of me) that got stolen. I have the Eclipse 3640 Amp. When I had the new tuner installed (the next model up from the one I had), I was told there was no power from the amp. All I had was the back speakers working. Now, occasionally, I will hear the amp pop. Recently, I'd have power from the amp until I tried to turn it up. Anything beyond about 19 would shut the amp down. I'd have to turn the truck off and restart it to get the amp back. Once, I had the amp but muffled sound from the front speakers.

Anybody have any clues what may be happening? I've checked all the connections at the amp and they appear to be fine. The RCA cable was replaced with brand new fairly heavy guage. I haven't opened the unit up to look but the fuse on the outside appears fine.
    Last edited by breckrider; 03-25-2005 at 16:15. Reason: Remembered something else to add.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Sounds like the output stage for your front speakers is shot, you either need to repair it, or replace it. Of course that about the best I can guess since I can't look at it.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Sounds like the output stage for your front speakers is shot, you either need to repair it, or replace it. Of course that about the best I can guess since I can't look at it.
    Remember, I'm an idiot about this stuff. Is that on the AMP? Also, when I plugged the the sub into channel 1 on the amp it worked fine. And, they put in a different tuner at the shop and it still did the same thing.

Oh...wait.....that wouldn't have anything to do with the RCA jack side of the amp would it? That's going to be on the other side?

How can I test that?
    Last edited by breckrider; 03-26-2005 at 05:27.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breckrider
    Remember, I'm an idiot about this stuff. Is that on the AMP? Also, when I plugged the the sub into channel 1 on the amp it worked fine. And, they put in a different tuner at the shop and it still did the same thing.

Oh...wait.....that wouldn't have anything to do with the RCA jack side of the amp would it? That's going to be on the other side?

How can I test that?
    Well, whatever is causing the problem, it is in the amp, whether it be the signal stage or the output stage.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Quote Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Well, whatever is causing the problem, it is in the amp, whether it be the signal stage or the output stage.
    Thanks. I know it's tedious dealing with the ignorant. I'll pull it and have an electronics technician friend look at it.

Thread Information