Junior Member Registered Member

System for 2000 BMW 323i - Eclipse, Alphasonik

I just bought a 2000 BMW 323i and want to drop a system in it. I'm a bit of an amateur audiophile and my biggest priority is sound quality. My music tastes are mostly acoustic (Dave Matthews, David Gray, Norah Jones), alternative (Linkin Park, Radiohead), world (AfroCelt Soundsystem, Morcheeba), and a bit of trance.

Here's the (a) setup I'm looking at:
    Head Unit - EQ w/control for F/R/Sub - Amps - Components (F), 2-Way or Components for (R) fill - 10" sub.

All wiring will be replaced with aftermarket upraded wiring, distribution block, and cap for my sub.

Head Unit
    I need a headdeck that has an input for my iPod (Eclipse w/aux in, Alpine w/iPod interface). I'm looking probably at Eclipse for the headdeck, but am open to an alternative. Possibly the Eclipse CD8053 or an equivalent Alpine deck.

EQ
    My music tastes are mostly acoustic (Dave Matthews, David Gray, Norah Jones), alternative (Linkin Park, Radiohead), world (AfroCelt Soundsystem, Morcheeba), and a bit of trance.

Eclipse 2100 - 8 Band in-dash EQ w/Non-fade sub control

Speakers
    I want 2-way components for the front and am thinking of either Eclipse (SC8264) or Infinity (Kappa Perfect 6.1). For the rear, I'd either duplicate the selection for the fronts, or use something like the Eclipse Point Source (SP8964). These would be primarily for rear fill.

Sub
    Single 10" is probably ideal, as I'm not into tons of base, just want to fill out and complete the system. Again, considering the music choice, I want something that's tight and responsive. So, I'm considering either the Eclipse 10" (SW7504DVC) or the Infinity 10" (Kappa Perfect 10vQ or Kappa Perfect 10.1D).

Amps
    Okay, this is where the biggest selection problem is. I'm looking at either Eclipse or Alphasonik. I'd prefer to have one amp to run my staging speakers (front/rear) and one for my sub. This way, if I have an issue w/the sub amp, I'm not w/o my whole system. This is more of a problem with the Eclipse amp setup than the Alphasonik amp setup.

Here's what I'm looking at.
    Staging
    Alphasonik (all w/.05% THD)
    PMA4075A - 4/3/2 channel, 75Wx4 @ 4ohm, 75Wx2 + 230Wx1 @ 4ohm, 230Wx2 @ 4ohm $279
    PMA4150A - 4/3/2 channel, 150Wx4 @ 4ohm $309

Eclipse (all w/.1%THD)
    PA5532 - 5/4/3 channel, 50Wx4 + 200Wx1 @ 4ohm $499

Sub Amp (all w/.05% THD)
    PMA2075A - 2/1 channel, 75Wx2 @ 4ohm, 230Wx1 @ 4ohm - $169
    PMA2150A - 2/1 channel, 490Wx1 @ 4ohm - $209
    PMA2300A - 2/1 channel, 300Wx2 @ 4ohm, 900Wx1 @ 4ohm - $269
    PMA1000DA - 1 channel, 1000Wx1 @ 4ohm, includes remote volume - $439

So, thoughts? Also my budget isn't unlimited, I'd like to keep it w/in 2k-2.5k for installed system, which will include some custom work for flush mounting the box, possible false floor or similar for amps, distribution block, cap, etc.

What would you install from this list, or possible alternatives, and why?

Senior Member Registered Member
    The Kappa Perfect is a badass sub--sounds great... i powerd mine with a 140 watts from a kicker amp and it sounded great... blew it when i gave it 600 though its rated at 300 or 350 MAX rms.

I'm in your head Registered Member CVStroker's Avatar
    twarfel, when looking at amps anymore these days. Unless you're looking at the super cheap ones, don't worry too much about the THD number. Alomst all amps build nowadays will sound just as good as the next amp if kept within their effective opperating range.

For a sub amp, from what you've listed, go with the PMA2150A to power a Kappa Perfect 10vQ.

For a speaker amp, I personally wouldn't worry about powering the rear fill. You'll understand why after you set it up. Those Alphasonik amps you provided are both a little too big for what you need if you decide to only power the front stage. Find something that does in the neighborhood of 125x2@4 ohms. If you decide to amp all 4 speakers, the PMA4075A should be enough.
    Life: It's the ultimate sin; a game with no rules that you're expected to win

Thread Information