Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NY
    Hey, check out the link:

http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com

Appears that someone is finally doing someting about this.
    This is the correct website that I got to work....

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme...php/login.php?

My Van is not covered....
    Theresa

The tranny was so bad today that instead of driving to the dealer with it I had to call a tow truck. Sigh....

Free Replacement for Failed Odyssey Transmission

Don't be bullied by your dealer!! I have a 2002 Odyssey w/ 68,000+ miles. Last week it wouldn't accelerate properly one day, so I coasted to the dealer and had them check the car. They called me with the news that the transmission was slipping and that I needed to replace the transmission at a cost of $4100. I was in shock. I called back and asked if they could do something to reduce the cost since I have them do all of the service work on the odyssey and an 03 accord.

Within 20 minutes the dealership called back and said that they would provide the replacement transmission and I would just need to pay labor (about $975). I told him to wait before proceeding any further. That night I researched the problem on this web site and www.autosafety.org; it was clear that honda has a problem with this particular model's transmission. Additionally, it only takes about 2.5 hrs. to do the replacement work (not exactly a $975 job!).

I called the dealer back the next business day, and this time I spoke to the service magager. I told him that I didn't think that I should have to pay any amount to replace a transmission on a 5 year old car that the manufacturer and dealer know has a defect...i asked to speak to the zone manager of honda north america. At that point, he said that he would call them on my behalf. I don't know if he really did that or not, but he called me back and said that there would not be any charge for parts or labor for the new transmission. He didn't say this, but from what I've seen on the net, it looks like it will be refurbished. Fine...as long as it works!

Not a tranny problem!!!!

Yippie! I got my van back last night and it was not the transmission! Well it was but the problem was only a broken wire. They fixed, no charge, and I was able to go pick it up last night!
    Let's hope this is the last time I have to deal with transmission problems. Not likely I know......

Smile Honda Odyssey 02 Transmission Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Angie Bravo
    This forum has been extremely helpful in resolving my trans problem. A year ago, I noticed that while driving, the car had a hesitation going from 1st to 2nd gear. My revolutions would reach 4 but I would be under 30 miles per hour. I would accelerate the car without increasing the mileage, like if the car was in parking and me hitting the gas. It happened once in a blue moon, but then it started happening more often. I took the car to service many times, and they kept telling me that they couldn't reproduce the problem. The good thing is that by going to the dealership I had proof of the many check-ups they did. Also I proved loyalty to them.
    As soon as this hesitation became frequent, they told me that the solenoids (not sure if it's correctly written) needed to be changed. It was a $800 job approx. and I paid for it. This week, the engine light came on and the problem persisted, so the diagnose was a dead trans. The repair cost: $5000.

I jump into the internet to find out if there were any publised problems with trans on the Honda Odyssey and to my surprised I found millions of cases, even articles from newspaper and TV that have come out regarding this problem. I printed everything and went to the dealership. When they saw me so prepared, without opening my mouth they told me that my trans would be fixed at no cost plus they would give me a rental car. I told all the customers in the service area the problem they would face with the Odyssey, and I gave them my phone number so I can tell them what I knew. Honda didn't what to have a customer like me on their back, I was truly ready to go to the local news if they didn't step up and fixed the problem. I encourage each one of you to do the same thing and have them be responsible for the mistakes. We bought the best van in the market and paid a goodwill for it, and we expect service. We are not driving a Caravan, so please fight for your rights.
    I am so glad that I found this forum before deciding to pay $4,500 for the replacement of my Honda Odyssey 02 Transmission with the similar problem - slipping between 2nd gear and 3rd gear. The dealer told me the diagnosis by the computer indicated that the solenoids needed to be replaced in order for them to test if my transmission is bad. I had to pay close to $500 for the replacement of the solenoids so I did pay for it. They then called me and said "Unfortunately, it still didn't work after the replacement of the solenoids, ...., the only way my van can be repaired is to get the transmision replaced and it will cost $4,500 to do that..."

I was helpless until I found this site. I printed out the messages from this site and brought them to the dealer. They said my VIN was NOT covered by the extended warrantee from Honda and could not help. I explained that I had good maintenence records in Honda Services and it made no sense that I had to pay it myself for the bad transmission produced by Honda and the transmisiion problem of Honda Odyssey has widespreaded already. I also told them I currently own another Honda CR-V and it has never had any problem at all. I insisted to talk to their Director and he eventually promised to call American Honda on my behalf. Last night, I got good news - American Honda has agreed to cover all of the expense inclduing the material and labor with 36,000 miles/3 year warrantee. I was a little upset for paying $500 for the solenoids in the beginning, but it worths it becasue I think this $500 made them tried harder to convinced American Honda that I am a good customer...

I was told to drop off my van on Sunday night and they will do the replacement for me once the new transmission arrives. I will update how it goes next week.

Unhappy

I have a 2002 odyssey which seems to be having transmission
    failures also. Upon accelerating on a slight slope, the rpm goes up
    and the speed is fixed at a low speed until about 10 sec. later.
    Then yesterday, the problem was so severe that the speed stuck
    at 20mph and the car had to be pulled over. I think the problem
    is getting worse to I brought it this morning to a non-Honday
    repair shop and told them the symptoms.
    He told me that this was a known transmission design flaw
    problem at that it should be covered up to 100,000 mi and for 7 yrs
    and Honda should cover it.
    But when I brought it in to the Honda service, they told me that
    after a $50 service check, if the transmission had to be replaced
    I have to pay $3500 and that the warranty expires after $36K.
    I think I need to get the Honda corporate number to help me on this.
    I am not paying $3500 for a known design flaw.

My 2000 Odyssey with 119K

I bought it Sep 2004 with 79K. Started having tranny problem 2nd-3rd slip around 90K+. I found ATF was really dirty. then I change it frequently (4times, each time 3.5QT) the slip problem were gone. But the engin light and TCS kept coming back. And then slip problem came back on 100K+.
    Then I change ATF for another 3 times again, and each time found a lot of dirty deposit on the bolt. Now it can only run on neutral gear http://forums.carreview.com/images/smilies/idea.gif
    from 0 to 65 mph. I am waiting HONDA USA to investigate my case.

Also, I found the speed indicator always higher than Police Speed Monitor.
    eg. My car showed 30 mph but Police see it run at 28 mph. So my odemeter may also show higher milage than the actual milage.

Odyssey 02 transmission problem

My Odyssey started having problems sticking between 2nd and 3rd gear just after my 90k transmission flush/maintenence. It wasn't happening all the time and I thought maybe the car was just cold. I went over 100k and then my engine light and TCS lights came on. I took it in and after 3 hours I called them to see what was up. They said the transmission needed replaced and the service manager had already put a call into Honda America to see what they could do to help. I hadn't found this board and was way outside the warranty so I had no idea why they made that call ( I do now). But I am glad they did as they quoted me $3500. While I was researching the problem they called back and said Honda would not replace it for free or give me a rental car but "Honda wanted to know what they could do to keep me a happy and satisfied customer" (I had made it quite clear this was my 3rd Honda and we would be replacing our other car in the next year or 2 and HAD been planning on a Honda). I went on and on about how I bought this car when there were none on the lot to test drive, you went on a waiting list (took 4 months to get it) and had to pay full sticker price. I bought it sight unseen based on the Honda brand and all I expected with that. End result we offered to pay what I'd been making as car payments last year $550 and they jumped at it. Car is back and running well. My service dept was very easy to work with and although free would have been nice I know if this had happened to our Ford they would not have helped us at all. We will look at a Honda for the next car but probably go back to old faithful accord. My accord was never in the shop for a problem over 200k miles

2002 odyssey trans.

I am so glad that i found this forum .Im having these same tranny issues Ihope I can get this resolved. I went out on a limb by puchasing this vehicle I need to grow old with it but I cant afford a 4000 trans.
    Quote Originally Posted by nvansover
    If you have similar symptoms in your '02 Odyssey, and read all the "horror" stories above, you may have real concerns by now. I know I did. I was real scared and certainly didn't feel like forking $5k+ on a 3+ year old car with 29k miles (bought in Dec. '01).

So take it easy: there's about a 4-months gap between this reply and the one before it, and I think by now, Honda figured out how to handle this issue – they're doing a good job. Please read on.

Facts:
    1. They're not hiding anything anymore. In fact the service reps were discussing my case with me present in the room and referred to it as the "classic transmission issue".
    2. As of now, there is no formal warranty extension from Honda, for 02 models, regarding this transmission case. However, when I described the problem to the service rep I was very polite and said "I have a really bad feeling about it – I read about this problem on the Internet and it doesn't look good". That's it. No more. His answer: "I wouldn't even think having you pay for a new transmission. With your mileage, this is absurd". I came in, early bird, armed with gobs of printouts (this forum) hidden in my briefcase, ready for a real war, to the bitter end. It wasn't necessary. Not at all.
    3. He actually told me that Honda would replace transmissions with way more mileage on them, suffering from the problem. (I want to say, any number below 100k, but take my estimate here very carefully, please. And I'm not sure about the years either.)
    4. Many of you may have received by now, a letter fro Honda, about warranty extension for "EGR valve". This has nothing to do with the transmission problem. However:
    a. Sometimes, symptoms related to a malfunctioning EGR valve may be mistaken for transmission problem.
    b. Specifically, if you see your RPM needle up there on the 3-5 area and the vehicle is not accelerating – it's no EGR!!
    5. Why do I say "above and beyond"? Not only the transmission was free, with NO hassles, Honda paid for the loner car and even fixed a malfunctioning SRS unit (red light came on) free of charge. Out of warranty.
    6. Interesting: The faulty transmissions were indeed outsourced (OHIO?) and the contractor if footing the bill for the replacements.
    7. I was trying to get some information regarding the malfunction itself, but I'm not sure I understood the explanation very well. The way it was put to me, I'm not sure that even the service people really know. They apply external tests to the transmission, and if these fail they send the whole thing away and put a new one. The technical explanation contained words like "parts failing", "pressure", "leaking", "inability to transfer power", etc.

To summarize this very long post (sorry...): If your case fits the more-or-less obvious "statistics" posted above, reasonable mileage, etc., expect the problem to be handled well.

Personally, I believe Honda should simply extend the warranty. They already agreed to carry the burden of fixing it anyway, so why not give all owners the peace of mind and get the good reputation they deserve?

I hope this helps.

2002 odyssey trans.

Im having the same tranny problems . but each time I carry it to the dealer they tell me that they cant duplicate the problem . Yesterday I carried it in only to hear the same report . This slipping occurs at least 3to 4 times per day. I know that I'm eather getting the run around or they are totally insane. I am so glad I found this forum. now I'm better educated about how wide spread this actually is. There is NO reason for a tranny crap out at 58,000 miles. The thing that I cant understand is that they are sending people back out on the roads knowing that the tranny is going to breakdown. This could lead to accidents. The management at honda in not taking responsibility is opening itself up to lawsuits beyond belief. thanks for all your comments.

Angry Honda Odyssey 2002 Transmission Problem?!

I feel better but bad after I found this forum regarding numerous Odyssey transmission problems. I feel better because I found that many other owners share similar problems, but bad because it's a very dangerous life safety problem. I can't fall to sleep after I read through these 100+ postings.

Similar to many other cases, the green "D" light is flashing after driving for a few miles. As far as my wife and myself can remember, it started sometimes in Dec. 2006 (2 months ago) when the van was right under 70,000 miles. (It is just over 72,000 miles nowi) It came on and go. Now it becomes persistent recently.

We noticed similar trans slipping from 1 to 2 to 3 gear, most notably from 2 to 3 gear. We also feel hard and bumpy when down-shifting. Sometimes, the steering wheel is hard when making turns.

We already called a nearby Honda dealer for a checkup this Wednesday. We bought the van from an independent car dealer, but have the van serviced at this dealer.

I called American Honda this morning to report trans problem. The service rep checked, and no surprise, our van wasn't covered in any recall. She logged the case for me and made a note to the dealer when the van is checked this Wednesday.

I hope Honda will step up and resolve our case like many others. It takes time to build reputation, safety, reliability. It could be ruined, too.

I'll update later.

Unhappy Honda Odyssey 2002 Transmission Problem - update

Well, after waiting for the whole day, Honda dealer service advisor called back saying that American Honda is willing to pay for a new (rebuilt, I suppose) transmission, but we have to pay for the dealer's labor at about $740 plus tax, and no rental car offer.

We're told that we should feel grateful that American Honda is paying for a $3500 trans even though the car is out of warranty. I told them that it's a known design flaw and they should cover both part and labor. The class action lawsuit settled at the end of 2006 didn't cover 2002 model since this lawsuit started 3 years ago and not many cases were reported back then. It appears that the transmission complaints are catching up with 2000/2001 models.

Then we talked to the service manager. He said that Honda regional manager was just at the dealer. This is what they're willing to do --- sound like take it or leave it. He implied that we shouldn't call the American Honda trying to ask for more since the regional manager may even take back his offer. So we're pressured to back down and agreed to let them do the job first. My wife and I think that we'll take the offer first so that they can order the new trans. In the meantime, we're finding ways to pay for the labor portion.

- check Better Business Bureau record, possibly log in a complaint
    - call other nearby dealers for their part & labor for replacing the transmission
    - call the independent car broker and see what he thinks
    - call/write the dealer's general manager?
    - call American Honda again?

Angry 2002 odyssey tranny issues

hello yangsu,
    for my case, the dealer told me the same thing.
    At first, they will only pay for parts and not labor but maybe nothing
    at all. But after I persisted, they agreed to pay for the labor also.
    so no cost at all. Looks like after the 2001 model, all issues are
    handled on a case by case basis. So push until the dealer pays for all.
    Start by complaining in several forums. then you can try
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

which is a govt site that you can complain and hopefully if enough
    people complain, the govt will force a recall.
    I would complain up the ladder. Talk to the supervisor and so on up.
    Show this forum, etc.

You can also try to complain only local TV stations that fight for
    consumers. Don't give up. And get tips for other forums.
    There are so many forums w/consumers complaining about the
    Honda tranny issue. Best of luck!

gray market 01 odyssey

we live in washington & bought a year old '01 odyssey from a broker in bellevue. it was a converted honda of canada model & in thepast 8 months or so have had the same issues. 1st the tcs & ck eng lights came on simultaneously but no obvious trany problems. chkd online, found all the posts & immediately took it to local honda dealer for diagnostic. claimed it was egr, fixed it & lts went off. maybe 6 months later lights come on and it starts chugging shifting from 1st to 2nd. return to dealer. lo & behold trany needs replacing. called honda of america - "not their problem" same with canada.
    has anyone else run into this & gotten any resolution?? am spittin mad about this & can't believe a company with honda's rep is being this difficult & for a "family" car at that!!
    help if you can...

Smile Honda resolved problem with 2002 Odyssey transmission

On 24 February 2007 the transmission failed on the 2002 Odyssey that I purchased new in October 2001; it had 67,000 miles on it at the time of the failure. As you might expect, I was quite disturbed with the failure, particularly in light that the mileage was well-past the 40,000 mile power-train warranty. My disappointment grew when I learned on this Web forum that the 2002 Odyssey has a well-known transmission problem and is quite costly to repair (approximately $5000).

With great anxiety I called the local Honda dealer and spoke with the service manager. The manager requested that I bring the car in for inspection. Two hours later she called to report that the transmission had indeed failed prematurely and that on my behalf she had spoken to Honda corporate and obtained permission to replace the transmission at no charge.

A few days later I returned to pickup the Honda. The transmission was replaced and I was charged nothing for the repacement! This incident speaks well for Honda and fully restores my faith in Honda's desire to provide customer satisfaction.

Vince Mystik

My Canadian Honda Odyssey will have a new transmission

I also have a 2000 Honda Odyssey built in Canada. I purchased from a dealer in USA. This week suddenly TCS lamp and Engine Check lamp came on. I contacted the dealer that sold the car to me. I had two letters from American Honda. One, extended warranty for 7 yr/100000 miles for the transmission, and another for ERG ? something. It was out of the warranty period. (97000 mileage)

First the dealer said only the transmission will be covered, but after a phone call to America Honda, they told me that America Honda would replace everything free of charge, and a rent-a-car!

I drove off the dealership in my car with "Check Engine " lamp on. The dealer didn't have a transmission on site and I was assured there would be no problem with the transmission for now.

Next day, I got a phone call from the dealer. The transmission will be in on Monday. I am to take the car back to the dealership tomorrow and will drive off in a ren-a-car that will be paid by America Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckoddy
    We have a Canadian built 02 Odyssey, bought from an American dealer with only 38 miles on it. At the time there was a 6 month wait for one, so we snapped it up. We had never heard of grey market cars, foreign made cars sold by American dealers. Don't every buy one. Honda Canada will not cover any recall work, even if you take it to Canada, if the vehicle has non-Canadian license plates. American Honda will not honor any grey market cars, even if sold by one of their authorized dealers.

We have it serviced at the dealership we purchased it from, and the service advisors told me for years they couldn't get any information on Canadian vehicles. The recalls on the Odyssey were in the news, so I knew there had to be something out there. I finally talked to the owner of the dealership, who got the recall information on the transmission lubricant, and did the work without charge in Sept. 2005. In Feb. 2006 it started shifting hard, then having trouble at stop signs, but the service dept. said they couldn't replicate the problem and couldn't fix it. It started getting worse the end of March, with the RPM indicator into the red zone changing into 2nd. I took it in to get it checked and for the 90000 mile work, and was told the transmission is "full of metal", and needs replacing.

The service bulletins on this problem are identical for Honda Canada and American Honda. It states that for vehicles under 24,000km/15,000 miles to update the transmission with a simple revision to the oil cooler line. For vans over this mileage, the dealer inspects for discoloration due to overheating; if found the transmission needs to be replaced. If not, do the "simple revision". At the top of the bulletins, the reason for the recall is that overheating can lead to gear tooth chipping and gear breakage. Could this be the metal our transmission is full of, 6 months after the recall work was done? Hmm.

American Honda closed our case because the dealer had already done the recall work, satisfying the claim. I asked if the recall work had not been done properly, especially since the vehicle had 60,000 plus miles on it - well over the 15,000 limit - and the dealer never said anything about inspecting it, just that was all that needed to be done. Had the work not been done, American Honda would have to consider our case.

The dealer has had our vehicle for 6 days now, and the service manager will not return my calls. Honda Canada says our model is not covered by the 7yr/100,000 mile warranty on the transmission, but won't tell me why. I talked to the NHTSA and filed a complaint. No help anywhere yet. Any ideas, anyone?

Help fix Honda Registered Member

I have a 2000 Odyssey the Tranny just went out yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo3698
    I have a 2002 Odyssey with 35k miles. Very recently I've experience my transmission slipping on acceleration and hills. It's in the shop as I'm typing this. The Honda technician says the transmission will have to be replaced. He says that Honda has admitted quietly that the transmission is not ideal with the 240 HP engine. The vehicle weight, the engine HP and typical driving patterns create the problem. Honda is claiming 2% failure rate. They added extended warranties to the 2000 and 2001 years because of this problem. They haven't added the extended warranty to the 02 model yet but the technician expects Honda will. But no guarantees. If you're on the standard warranty and have more than 36k miles, keep fighting with Honda if your transmission fails. They may still cover the cost. Honda service will not rebuild the transmission. They will only replace.

You say that they exteneded warranties on the 2000 and 2001, my 2000's just went out. Up to how many miles will they cover replacement? I am so upset now my wife wants a new vehicle! PEASE HELP !

Help fix Honda Registered Member

2000 Oydessey problem, looking for help!

Dose any one have any good news about what to do about this big mess, up to now all I ever heard about Honda was they are the best Automotive company. Man would Toyota love to hear about our problem so that they can rube it in thier face!

There's probably something wrong with your tranny. Inspect it for faults.

grey market odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by jean6061
    we live in washington & bought a year old '01 odyssey from a broker in bellevue. it was a converted honda of canada model & in thepast 8 months or so have had the same issues. 1st the tcs & ck eng lights came on simultaneously but no obvious trany problems. chkd online, found all the posts & immediately took it to local honda dealer for diagnostic. claimed it was egr, fixed it & lts went off. maybe 6 months later lights come on and it starts chugging shifting from 1st to 2nd. return to dealer. lo & behold trany needs replacing. called honda of america - "not their problem" same with canada.
    has anyone else run into this & gotten any resolution?? am spittin mad about this & can't believe a company with honda's rep is being this difficult & for a "family" car at that!!
    help if you can...

I have a dead honda 2001 odyssey. 66500 miles. currently sitting at honda dealer as I am trying to get it fixed under warranty since the us warranty was extended for this car, why not the canada one even since all the transmissions were probably made at the same place. anyway, I have not resolved, and am furiuos!!!

I have contacted someone in washington state that had problem also, and he is still trying to fight it as well. we must all stick together to have any chance.

2002 Transmission Failure - But Dealer and Honda makes good

(I originally posted this in the forums on odyclub.com)

Bad News: Bad transmission on my 2002 Odyssey at 80,000 miles.

Good News: Both my dealer and Honda really stepped up to the plate and took care of everything, and I am extremely happy with the result.

Well, you can add me to the list of owners of 2002 Odysseys who have had a transmission problem. (Heck, based on the number of people on this forum who have had multiple transmissions replaced, I'm glad this is only my first one!)

On March 27 my wife was driving the van and saw the green "D" drive light blink on the instrument panel. When she called me to tell the news, I searched the odyclub formums to see what the heck that warning light meant. As I was searching, I feared the worst, knowing the problems that so many people have had with transmissions. From what I determined, it seemed that it was either the 4th clutch pressure switch or a bad transmission. However, even though I was aware of the well documented transmission problems on the Odyssey, I really didn't think that it was bad (yet) because I have never experienced a problem with the transmission while driving my wife's Odyssey (althouth my wife swears that she has felt it slip several times). Neither the CEL or the TCS light ever came on and it seemed to be driving just fine. In fact, when I drove the van 35 miles to the dealer, the "D" light never came on during that time.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I dropped the van off at the dealer (Sherwood Honda in Delray Beach, Florida). [I actually did not buy the van from them but, rather, bought it used from a private owner with 48,000 miles on it a couple years ago. But after reading about the transmission problems on this site, I decided to take it to the dealer for the 60,000 maintenance in order to establish a relationship with the dealer in case of any future problems. Boy am I glad I did that!

When I dropped the van off at the dealer and told them that the "D" light was flashing, the service advisor told me that the problem was most likely either a bad transmission or the pressure switch, and that if it was the pressure switch, that would not "be covered." It seems that he was already anticipting that if the problem WAS the transmission, I might not have to pay for the repair.

Well, I got a call back from the service advisor a few hours later and he advised me that, sure enough, the transmission was bad. When I had mentioned that it seemed to be driving fine for the most part, he said it was possible that I could drive up to 25,000 more miles on it without a failure, but that it was going bad. [I guess Honda does not want to risk a transmission failure while people are driving in them due to risk of injury/death and, of course, a lawsuit].

Anyway, without me even having to ask, the service advisor told me that he had already called Honda's district manager to see if Honda would pay for the new transmission, and that he was just waiting for a call back to see if it is approved. About 20 minutes later the service advisor called me back with the good news. Not only did Honda agree to pay for the new transmission, but I WOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING AT ALL OUT OF MY POCKET!!! NOTHING!!! That's right, I did not even have to pay for the labor portion of the repair! On top of that, Honda (or the dealer) is paying for the cost of a rental vehicle while the van is being repaired! Oh, and he also told me that the new transmission will have a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty on it. I am so happy with how the dealer and Honda has handled this. It is nice to see a company acknowledge a problem and really step up to the plate to fix it. Moreover, I did not even have to contact Honda myself to twist their arm to get them to pay for the repair!

Also, I am so glad that I started taking the Odyssey to the dealer as soon as it needed its next major service after I bought it used. When it came time for the transmission replacement, they never asked me for any service records or anything from the prior owner. They agreed to pay for the transmission repair with no questions asked.

I have seen a lot of people on this forum get an offer from Honda to pay for just the transmission, but not the labor. Others have had Honda offer to go 50/50 on the cost. For the sake of other Odyssey owners, I hope that my recent experience signals a change in that stance and that Honda is now more inclined to fully pay for transmission repairs instead of just sharing that cost with owners.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience so that my fellow 2002 Odyssey owners who have transmission problems in the future can rest a little easier knowing that Honda seems to be taking care of the problem. I also would like to express my appreciation for this site and its members (and to Honda and my dealer too). If not for the knowledge I have gained from this site and its members, I may have taken the van into my mechanic (rather than to the dealer) to have the transmission fixed and I might have needlessly paid thousands of dollars for a transmission repair, not knowing that the transmission problems were so prevalent and that Honda would step up the the plate and take care of it. Thank you Odyclub, and thank you Honda!!!

Thumbs up 2001 Odyssey Tranny Failure/Litigation

My 2001 Odyssey experienced the same engine light and engine code problems yesterday that have been experienced by many others in this forum. First the check engine light comes on followed by the TCS light. The OBD engine codes are P0740 (TCC failure) and P1607 (I believe ECM/TCS). Should you have these codes determined by a local mechanic.....my wife pulled into a lube shop when the lights come on.....don't let anyone reset them. I drove it to the dealership yesterday and noticed the first slip. The van has 88,000 miles on it, but I have been hearing what I thought was bearing noise for 10,000 miles or well over 6 months. Noise is louder in 4th gear, but was becoming noticable in third gear. I have been waiting to get it checked, because I guessed no dealership would replace a transmission based on a noise.

I was right. The new transmission is on order from California, and I am in a rental car at Honda's expense.

Honda did sign a class action settlement on 12/26/2006, entitled "Chris Collins versus American Honda Motor Company." As part of the settlement, the warranty is extended AGAIN to 93 months or 109,000 miles. Don't know how they got to 109,000 miles, but they did. The agreement also expands coverage to various Acuras, including some 2002 and 2003 models.

The technician tried to tell me one of the parts (ECM) might not be covered. I told them to check into it, so I could avoid calling Honda, starting a case file, and hurting feelings. 20 minutes later, I am told all is covered, my rental car is forthcoming, and do I wish to consider having my timing belt changed ($1,000 or so) while they have the vehicle. My response was we needed to crawl before we walk. Fix the tranny first.

I appreciate various posts about the 3 year/36,000 warranty on the new tranny. I will certainly verify this when my van is retrieved.

Knowledge is power. Knowing the engine codes, problems, existing litigation, etc., reduced the possibilities of headaches. Honda is making it right, but I overhead the technician talking to another owner about a transmission issue, saying Honda MAY provide assistance on his replacement, IF HE HAS SERVICED IT PROPERLY AT A DEALERSHIP. I would hate to think the company links replacement of defective products with franchise dealer fees, that may be based on total dealership revenue. My only wish was to grab the phone and talk to the customer.

2002 Ody trans is now being replaced... have questions...

Yes, yet another 2002 trans failure. Until I started searching I had no idea how widespread the problem was. Here's some brief background.

02 Odyssey - currently has 49,500 miles
    We purchased the van in 2004, and transferred the extended warranty to our name. It is from EFG.

We have had essentially the same experience as others here with trans slipping.
    Had it into the dealer once before, they could not duplicate. Then warning lights came on, and we took it back in. Becasue of our extended warranty they were pretty quick to say trans needed replacing, and got approval from EFG to cover costs and rental car.

It is now at the dealer having replacement done. They said we were "lucky" because we are going to get a Honda rebuilt trans, instead of some other kind (which they said would normally be the case, perhaps because of going through EFG).

Questions:

1. Are we indeed getting the best possible scenario with a Honda rebuilt trans? How do we know if they are telling the truth?

2. What should we be expecting as far as warranty for rebuilt trans? At first they seemed to say it would only be covered for as long as our extended warranty remained (one more year). Then they said it would be 3/36. Should this warranty come directly from Honda?

3. Is this going to happen again? Should we just get rid of this van? Other than this issue, we have been pretty satisfied with it. And as I indicated, there are hardly any miles on it (49,000).

4. Has Honda corrected this problem in newer model years? What years would be considered a safe purchase.

Thank you for any and all help! I feel a bit overwhelmed at this point.

Broken Engine Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by decaturjulie
    Well the dealer got back to us and said American Honda would pay for the parts and that we would be responsible for the labor which was a whopping $900. We said no way and that in good faith we bought this car and ethically they should pay the total cost. After a few phone calls back and forth we are finally at $0 due to fix the transmission. American Honda is paying for all of it however they are saying we have two broken engine mounts that need to be replaced. Anyone have info on this? My mechanics office manager said she was told the same thing when her tranmission was replaced. I sense a shell game here. Would an engine mount be damaged by the transmission problems?

I have the same problem--engine check light, dealer said it's covered under warranty, but there's a broken engine mount. Has anyone else had the dealer tell them there is a broken engine mount when they went in for a transmission problem? Are they trying to recover the warranty cost by making stuff up? I'm taking it somewhere else to get the mount fixed, then back to Honda for them to replace the transmission for free.

Honda Oddyssey Transmission issues

Hi,

I just had a major issue with my Oddyssey 02 transmission - I lost all the fluid in the transmission while cruising at 70mph and the dealer can not find the leak. Apparently it came out through the dipstick, but it was very sudden. I have 79K miles, the dealer just flushed the remaining transmission fluid and refilled it and said it is ok. I believe the transmission is damaged since it lost most of its fluid.

Anyone else has seen this issue?

Thread Information