Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Junior Member Registered Member

Angry Honda odyssey 01 Trans, two in two weeks

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that I bought in Nov 2000. 70k miles, still under the extended warranty. We drove 800 miles for the memorial day long weekend, and the tranny started to slip while we were 300 miles away from any city. I left it replaced by a honda dealer in another state and had to fly back to get it, I drove another 800 miles home. honda picked up the rental but not the airline ticket. less than two weeks later, wife noticed there is some noise when going from 30 to 45 mph, so I took the car to a dealer, they said the trans is a defect unit and I have to get it replaced again!!.

2002 Odyssey Tranny probs

I purchase my 02 Odyssey used in Feb 05. Thought I was buying a really dependable vehicle. After 3 months and ~4000 miles, the tranny started slipping. I took it to local mechanic and was told I needed a new tranny. After doing a little research, I found out about the warranty and decided to pursue it. Honda America took care of the $4000 tranny for me after a little fighting. I had to pay $50 "deductible". I thought it was a heck of a deal. Now, fast forward to today. The check engine light and TCS light are now on. I have not taken it in to the dealership yet, but I have called Honda already and started a case file. I have about 60000 miles on the replacement tranny which was a remanufactured one when they put it in. Has anyone else had a second one replaced after such a long time? Thanks to everyone who has posted.

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=PacificMama]Questions:

1. Are we indeed getting the best possible scenario with a Honda rebuilt trans? How do we know if they are telling the truth?

2. What should we be expecting as far as warranty for rebuilt trans? At first they seemed to say it would only be covered for as long as our extended warranty remained (one more year). Then they said it would be 3/36. Should this warranty come directly from Honda?

3. Is this going to happen again? Should we just get rid of this van? Other than this issue, we have been pretty satisfied with it. And as I indicated, there are hardly any miles on it (49,000).

QUOTE]

Wish I had better answers for you, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Honda at this point. Here's my timeline...

- Bought new Feb 2002
    - Took to dealer twice in Oct 2005 for similar problems to everyone else. Dealer couldn't -find problem.
    - After evacuating from WILMA, transmission fails 6 hrs from home in Nov 05. Local dealer replaces under extended warranty (54,000 miles). #1 dead.
    - Similar problems come back in Jan 07. Dealer finds nothing first two tries.
    - In Dec 07 dealer reports transmission is bad and needs to be replaced. Covered under extended warranty. (89,500 miles) #2 dead.
    - Feb 08 extended warranty expires (6 yrs)
    - Apr 08 problems resurface. May 08 dealer reports transmission bad and needs to be replaced. Covered under Honda parts warranty (all parts covered for 1 yr; if installed by Honda, covered for 1 yr and includes labor). (95,400 miles) #3 dead...didn't last six months!

My personal speculation is that Honda is replacing bad transmissions without fixing the problem....they're solving the symptoms. I don't know what the problem is, but I know damn well a transmission should last longer than 6,000 miles!

I'll be looking to dump this van before next May when the 1 yr warranty expires on this transmission. I have lost faith in Honda to properly repair it and worry that the next one will fail outside of the warranty, thus costing me money!

So to answer your questions:
    1. Best case scenario? Your rebuilt will last. Most likely scenario? Whatever caused the first transmission to fail will affect any future transmissions you get from Honda...
    2. Warranty is on the part and is for one year. The 3/36 is on a new Honda as I understand it, meaning the warranty is for 3 yrs or 36k miles whichever comes first from the first date the vehicle entered service. Make the dealer write it down if that's they're telling you 3/36 on the replacement transmission. If you go by the warranty book for your Odyssey online, there's no discussion of warranties for rebuilt work...just the parts warranty discussed above.
    3. Based on my experiences, I would argue it'll happen again...it's just a matter of when. Unless you like the idea of paying $3-5 thousand down the line, I'd cut your losses while it's still low mileage and you can get better money.

Sorry to paint such a gloomy future, but having just picked up the Ody with it's four transmission in 6 yrs today, I'm not overly optimistic at this point....

Scott

2001 Odyssey LX

I've got a 2001 Odyssey LX with 50,000 miles. No transmission problems. I installed a Magnefine ATF filter (because there is none on the 1999-2001 Odysseys. I also drain and fill the ATF every 3rd oil change.

Want answers to ?s on the Odyssey, go here: http://www.odyclub.com/index.htm

[QUOTE=snosrfr]
    Quote Originally Posted by PacificMama
    Questions:

1. Are we indeed getting the best possible scenario with a Honda rebuilt trans? How do we know if they are telling the truth?

2. What should we be expecting as far as warranty for rebuilt trans? At first they seemed to say it would only be covered for as long as our extended warranty remained (one more year). Then they said it would be 3/36. Should this warranty come directly from Honda?

3. Is this going to happen again? Should we just get rid of this van? Other than this issue, we have been pretty satisfied with it. And as I indicated, there are hardly any miles on it (49,000).

QUOTE]

Wish I had better answers for you, but I wouldn't hold your breath on Honda at this point. Here's my timeline...

- Bought new Feb 2002
    - Took to dealer twice in Oct 2005 for similar problems to everyone else. Dealer couldn't -find problem.
    - After evacuating from WILMA, transmission fails 6 hrs from home in Nov 05. Local dealer replaces under extended warranty (54,000 miles). #1 dead.
    - Similar problems come back in Jan 07. Dealer finds nothing first two tries.
    - In Dec 07 dealer reports transmission is bad and needs to be replaced. Covered under extended warranty. (89,500 miles) #2 dead.
    - Feb 08 extended warranty expires (6 yrs)
    - Apr 08 problems resurface. May 08 dealer reports transmission bad and needs to be replaced. Covered under Honda parts warranty (all parts covered for 1 yr; if installed by Honda, covered for 1 yr and includes labor). (95,400 miles) #3 dead...didn't last six months!

My personal speculation is that Honda is replacing bad transmissions without fixing the problem....they're solving the symptoms. Autopartswarehouse I don't know what the problem is, but I know damn well a transmission should last longer than 6,000 miles!

I'll be looking to dump this van before next May when the 1 yr warranty expires on this transmission. I have lost faith in Honda to properly repair it and worry that the next one will fail outside of the warranty, thus costing me money!

So to answer your questions:
    1. Best case scenario? Your rebuilt will last. Most likely scenario? Whatever caused the first transmission to fail will affect any future transmissions you get from Honda...
    2. Warranty is on the part and is for one year. The 3/36 is on a new Honda as I understand it, meaning the warranty is for 3 yrs or 36k miles whichever comes first from the first date the vehicle entered service. Make the dealer write it down if that's they're telling you 3/36 on the replacement transmission. If you go by the warranty book for your Odyssey online, there's no discussion of warranties for rebuilt work...just the parts warranty discussed above.
    3. Based on my experiences, I would argue it'll happen again...it's just a matter of when. Unless you like the idea of paying $3-5 thousand down the line, I'd cut your losses while it's still low mileage and you can get better money.

Sorry to paint such a gloomy future, but having just picked up the Ody with it's four transmission in 6 yrs today, I'm not overly optimistic at this point....

Scott
    that just bites. when you buy a car from a reputable source you'd expect it to be at leat half decent, and not have all these problems. oh well. gotta check better next time!

Thread Information