Junior Member Registered Member

Trying to replace 6"x8" speakers in a 99 Ford Contour

I'm trying to get four 6"x8" speakers to replace the crappy factory 6"x8" speakers in my girlfriend's 1999 Ford Contour. According to the crutchfield website and one of their guys that i talked to, only a 6"x8"C (as opposed to a 6"x8") would fit in the stock locations. This came as a surprise to me since i thought a normal 6"x8" or even a 5"x7" speaker would work. Is crutchfield full of it? I don't want to get a 6"x8"C because my choices become severely limited (basically only a Kenwood excelon speaker would work). Does anyone know if normal 5"x7" or 6"x8" speakers would work without major modifications, especially since i am going to get them professionally installed?
    Last edited by eighthcircuit; 12-20-2004 at 20:04. Reason: spelling error

Resident Cynic Registered Member FordXplod93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eighthcircuit
    I'm trying to get four 6"x8" speakers to replace the crappy factory 6"x8" speakers in my girlfriend's 1999 Ford Contour. According to the crutchfield website and one of their guys that i talked to, only a 6"x8"C (as opposed to a 6"x8") would fit in the stock locations. This came as a surprise to me since i thought a normal 6"x8" or even a 5"x7" speaker would work. Is crutchfield full of it? I don't want to get a 6"x8"C because my choices become severely limited (basically only a Kenwood excelon speaker would work). Does anyone know if normal 5"x7" or 6"x8" speakers would work without major modifications, especially since i am going to get them professionally installed?
    If you're going to get them professionally installed, I would go discuss it with the installers you are going to use. I can think of a few ways to get standard 6x8s to fit, but they require some modification to the door mounts and a little creativity. A good installer will do what needs to be done to make the chosen speakers fit, so head on down there and get some info. ;)

~FordX
    Often imitated, never duplicated.

CAR REVIEW ADMlN Registered Member Easy E's Avatar
    If its professional installed the installer can use brackets and go with 6.5s if you want. Just find something that you like and talk to him to see if it will work.
    Thats my 2 cents.

Thread Information