• 01-30-2005, 11:30
    hulseg
    2000 Pontiac Sunfire Odometer
    Has anyone had the problem of the light burning out on the digital odometer in this vehicle? My understanding that an entire instrument cluster is needed. The odometer still is recording klicks (you can see it when the sun shines on it!)
  • 07-01-2005, 11:41
    John Kowaluk
    sun fire odometer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hulseg
    Has anyone had the problem of the light burning out on the digital odometer in this vehicle? My understanding that an entire instrument cluster is needed. The odometer still is recording klicks (you can see it when the sun shines on it!)

My son has a 1999 subfire and last week his digital odometer went black. What was the final cause and how did you fix it.
  • 07-02-2005, 04:51
    Slanter
    In the first case, it should just be a matter of a burned out light bulb. These can often be replaced just by crawling up behind the dash board (easier said than done, I know), unplugging the bulb, and plugging in a new one.
  • 08-26-2005, 17:37
    crent
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slanter
    In the first case, it should just be a matter of a burned out light bulb. These can often be replaced just by crawling up behind the dash board (easier said than done, I know), unplugging the bulb, and plugging in a new one.

unfortunalty not that simple requires a new cluster.. the lamp driver module is what fails..

btw the odmeter is stored in the bcm, so one can grap a wrecker cluster and install....
  • 08-27-2005, 05:20
    Slanter
    Lamp driver module? I'm curious - what sort of lights does this dash use? I'm more used to dashboards on older cars, where there isn't any sort of driver module, just a rheostat to adjust the brightness.

P.S. Welcome, Crent. Sounds like you have a lot you can contribute here!
  • 08-27-2005, 16:04
    crent
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slanter
    Lamp driver module? I'm curious - what sort of lights does this dash use? I'm more used to dashboards on older cars, where there isn't any sort of driver module, just a rheostat to adjust the brightness.

P.S. Welcome, Crent. Sounds like you have a lot you can contribute here!

The cluster or uses conventional light bulbs of a sort, but good luck getting any.... i have to take them from warrenty clusters to install in customers ones.

However the odometer is an lcd display backlight with a orange led or might be white.. cant exactly remember.. anyway the power supply module (lamp driver module) goes bad..... and the only way to fix it practically is to replace the cluster.