• 04-02-2004, 10:38
    phrozen5100
    Kicker Comp VR vs Alpine Type-R
    Well my van is up and running again and it didn't cost much at all to fix it so I can continue building my sound system. Just yesterday I heard my friend's Kicker Comp VR 10s and they're amazingly loud with decent sq; not only that, but he also has them paired to this really crappy 800w off brand amp. I had originally planned to get Alpine Type-Rs but now I'm leaning more towards the 12" Kicker Comp VRs. I want more SPL than SQ and I've already found a box that'll fit the Kickers perfectly for just 70$. I can get the two Kickers for about 175$ and the two Type-Rs for about 220$. I'll be running about 200w RMS to each sub and they'll be rear facing in my van. Any ideas on which I should get?
  • 04-02-2004, 15:19
    CVStroker
    I'd go with the Comp VRs, they're great budget subs, a little more SPL than the Type Rs, but usually sound just as good, just give them a good box.
  • 04-02-2004, 19:25
    phrozen5100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CVStroker
    I'd go with the Comp VRs, they're great budget subs, a little more SPL than the Type Rs, but usually sound just as good, just give them a good box.

Heh, thanks I was really leaning towards those. I'll probably buy those along w/ the box here real soon. I'll still have 1 free channel on my amp...125w RMS / 200w RMS. Any ideas on what I should run on that? I want something that won't cause a lot of cancellation, if any.
  • 04-02-2004, 20:00
    CVStroker
    Just bridge the 2 channels together.
  • 04-02-2004, 20:35
    Easy E
    The Type Rs are a better woofer in my eyes they got a good amount of throw actually :) Probally more then the VR hey Stroker how much the VRs got? But yea they are more pricey also though.
  • 04-02-2004, 20:47
    CVStroker
    Well, the Stroker's Xmax is 10mm one way, but we're talking about the Kicker Comp VR, not the Stroker, fool.
  • 04-02-2004, 20:50
    CVStroker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy E
    The Type Rs are a better woofer in my eyes they got a good amount of throw actually :) Probally more then the VR hey Stroker how much the VRs got? But yea they are more pricey also though.

Fool, you edited your post to make me look bad. FOOL!!!!!!
  • 04-02-2004, 20:54
    Easy E
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Well, the Stroker's Xmax is 10mm one way, but we're talking about the Kicker Comp VR, not the Stroker, fool.

Yes I am on crack tonight I looked it up, gots 11.5 MM, the Type R is 13.5mm of throw which is tad more, but they have a pretty high mechanical limits though the Type R that is.
  • 04-02-2004, 21:20
    phrozen5100
    I'm pretty set on the Kicker Comp VRs. I was also thinking about running 1 12" Type-R on the 3rd channel in a sealed box also. First, I'll have to make sure that my amp runs the Kickers ok w/o any heat problems. I was also wondering about adding a 600w Kenwood amp. My friend has a used one that's in pretty crappy cosmetic condition but it works fine; he's willing to sell it to me for just $15.00. I'd say that's a pretty good deal except I'm not sure how to go about adding another amp as far as wiring is concerned. I already have the 4 / 8 ga power distribution block, but I'm not sure what to do with the remote wire/ground. Also, would I need some sort of line level converter or something to strengthen the signal from my HU?