Kicker with MTX??

Printable View

• 06-07-2004, 15:09
    jbrinker007
    Kicker with MTX??
    I've been looking all over the internet and I've read thousands of reviews on different subs and amps. I think I'm going to get (2) 12" Kicker Comp VR 12" subwoofers and put a MTX 420 watt amp to it. How do you think this would work and how would it sound???
  • 06-07-2004, 15:35
    CVStroker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrinker007
    I've been looking all over the internet and I've read thousands of reviews on different subs and amps. I think I'm going to get (2) 12" Kicker Comp VR 12" subwoofers and put a MTX 420 watt amp to it. How do you think this would work and how would it sound???

If you can afford to get more power, do it. The 801D would work better than the 421D with those subs. And you have to make sure you get SVC 4 ohm or DVC 2 ohm subs so you can get a 2 ohm load for that amp. It would sound good, but you wont get all that loud because you don't have the power.
  • 06-07-2004, 17:26
    Hessakia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CVStroker
    If you can afford to get more power, do it. The 801D would work better than the 421D with those subs. And you have to make sure you get SVC 4 ohm or DVC 2 ohm subs so you can get a 2 ohm load for that amp. It would sound good, but you wont get all that loud because you don't have the power.

how would you get a 2 ohm load with DVC 2ohm speakers? unless you mean dual 2ohm (where you can wire them at 1ohm apeice). i'm sure that is what you were talking about, just not so sure on the vocab about it...
  • 06-07-2004, 18:56
    Calinada
    yeah... brinker said he was gettin 2 subs so (2) DVC 2 ohm subs sounds good to me
  • 06-07-2004, 19:50
    CVStroker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hessakia
    how would you get a 2 ohm load with DVC 2ohm speakers? unless you mean dual 2ohm (where you can wire them at 1ohm apeice). i'm sure that is what you were talking about, just not so sure on the vocab about it...

Yeah, I was talking about Dual Voice Coil (DVC) subs. Wired series/parallel it will give him a 2 ohm load. I'm thinking you were confusing the acronyms CVR (Comp VR) and DVC (Dual Voice Coil).
  • 06-08-2004, 04:03
    jbrinker007
    I can't really afford to go to a bigger amp but should I get Kicker Comp VR 10s instead so the amp will push em better?? Also is the SQ and SPL of these subs???
  • 06-08-2004, 07:18
    Hessakia
    Quote:

I can't really afford to go to a bigger amp but should I get Kicker Comp VR 10s instead so the amp will push em better?? Also is the SQ and SPL of these subs???

the JL W0 series is only 150watts RMS.... would be perfect for your application
  • 06-08-2004, 16:01
    CVStroker
    Quote:

If anything, with less power, move to the 15" version. The larger the sub, the more efficient it is.
  • 06-08-2004, 17:23
    jbrinker007
    Is that really true?? so your saying that (2) 10s would require more power than (2) 12s?? I've heard that MTX amps were underrated. If thats true the 420 watt amp should have somwhere around 450 watts. That would mean that each Kicker 12" would be getting 225 watts of powerful clean MTX power. Don't you think that would be enough to make a single cab ranger LOUD?? Wouldn't it push the Kickers pretty good???
  • 06-08-2004, 18:19
    CVStroker
    Quote:

Is that really true?? so your saying that (2) 10s would require more power than (2) 12s?? I've heard that MTX amps were underrated. If thats true the 420 watt amp should have somwhere around 450 watts. That would mean that each Kicker 12" would be getting 225 watts of powerful clean MTX power. Don't you think that would be enough to make a single cab ranger LOUD?? Wouldn't it push the Kickers pretty good???

Yes and no. They would require more power to attain the same spl level. But they wont be able to handle the power to do that.

What I was trying to say was: If you have 2 subs, one 12", one 15", and gave each 200 watts, the 15 should/would be louder, simply because it has about 1.5-2 times the cone area moving air.

Yes, MTX amps are under-rated, but you shouldn't really count on it, because not every MTX amp puts out 30, 75, 150, 200 watts over their rating, some only put out as much as 5 watts over their rating, just an inconsistancy in materials.

But, considering the space you have to fill, and the power you have, the 420 watt amp combined with the 2 12" CVRs would be plenty. No, you wont be able to hit 140db, doubtful you'll hit 130db, but it will still be plenty loud for a first time system (I'm assuming it's your first).
  • 06-08-2004, 19:03
    jbrinker007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CVStroker
    Yes and no. They would require more power to attain the same spl level. But they wont be able to handle the power to do that.

What I was trying to say was: If you have 2 subs, one 12", one 15", and gave each 200 watts, the 15 should/would be louder, simply because it has about 1.5-2 times the cone area moving air.

Yes, MTX amps are under-rated, but you shouldn't really count on it, because not every MTX amp puts out 30, 75, 150, 200 watts over their rating, some only put out as much as 5 watts over their rating, just an inconsistancy in materials.

But, considering the space you have to fill, and the power you have, the 420 watt amp combined with the 2 12" CVRs would be plenty. No, you wont be able to hit 140db, doubtful you'll hit 130db, but it will still be plenty loud for a first time system (I'm assuming it's your first).

Hey thanks a lot CVStroker you have been a big help to me. and yes this will be my first system. I figure that if I ever need more sound and power out of the subs I can always sell my amp and buy a bigger one. thanks a lot
  • 06-08-2004, 19:08
    CVStroker
    Quote:

Hey thanks a lot CVStroker you have been a big help to me. and yes this will be my first system. I figure that if I ever need more sound and power out of the subs I can always sell my amp and buy a bigger one. thanks a lot

No prob. That's what we're here for. If ever have a question, just ask it, that's what the forum is here for.